Need to set up a Chromium OS boot from USB Flash

Weeth

Gawd
I have a friend running XP Pro who needs to dual boot but wants to do it with Chromium OS. The optimal arrangement would be if the PC runs XP all the time and then if he restarts with the Chromium OS USB in the slot it will just boot to the Google software. I'm pretty sure that this can be done easily but everything I've looked up so far leaves me more confused than I was when I started. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

This guy has the computer smarts of your average potato. If I tell him to go into BIOS on startup if he ever manages to get there, he'll probably end up setting the boot order to his toaster as first up. :eek:

This guy has the computer smarts of your average potato. If I tell him to go into BIOS on startup if he ever manages to get there, he'll probably end up setting the boot order to his toaster as first up. :eek:

most modern mobos can boot to different devices pressing f12 or so.

you can use a boot manager also.

You or he won't be doing that. Analyze the problem from scratch and find a new solution.

most modern mobos can boot to different devices pressing f12 or so.

you can use a boot manager also.

Thank you for your reply, but that is not going to resolve the problem. I have decided that the best thing for him is to have the boot as I described. Here is one of the many links about the process, but this one (like some of the others) seems to be flawed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDyciVu9a8o

You or he won't be doing that. Analyze the problem from scratch and find a new solution.

Are you sure you're not Yoda? Your advice sounds very Lucas-Disney-metaphysical. I'm not trying to become a Jedi Knight, I just want to help a guy who is hopeless when it comes to PCs in dual booting his system. :D

If he can run xp, why bother with a cloud OS? There's also light bootable linux distros like puppy linux he could try that are light.

There's also Jolicloud, which actually looks nice for a cloud OS. It has some functionality offline too.

http://www.jolicloud.com/

Thank you for your reply, but that is not going to resolve the problem. I have decided that the best thing for him is to have the boot as I described. Here is one of the many links about the process, but this one (like some of the others) seems to be flawed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDyciVu9a8o

Are you sure you're not Yoda? Your advice sounds very Lucas-Disney-metaphysical. I'm not trying to become a Jedi Knight, I just want to help a guy who is hopeless when it comes to PCs in dual booting his system. :D

that video boots the USB on startup. How is that different from what I suggested?

I'm not sure what you want to do. You can either boot from a boot manager, the bios or by selecting the boot device at start up.

I have a friend running XP Pro who needs to dual boot but wants to do it with Chromium OS. The optimal arrangement would be if the PC runs XP all the time and then if he restarts with the Chromium OS USB in the slot it will just boot to the Google software. I'm pretty sure that this can be done easily but everything I've looked up so far leaves me more confused than I was when I started. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to enter the bios and select USB first in the boot order. Then it will look for a bootable device on USB first. If its an old machine, it might not support boot from USB.

Do you have Chromium OS installed on USB stick? Here's one derivant that is popular and comes with instructions on how to install it:
http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Thanks to all for their great input. I really appreciate it all and I just wanted to update you in that since the guy is totally hopeless I went over there and installed Jolicloud for him. We were both very impressed with it (nice basic OS... I'd never heard of it but now I'm sold for basic PC applications and hapless users like this guy) and after considerable practice he has managed to master that difficult procedure to actually hit the arrow key up to boot Windows and down to boot Joli OS. :) Next I'm sure I can teach him how to bookmark a page on his browser (he types them in from memory). :( Told ya this guy wasn't exactly a PC rocket scientist! :D

Back