Need to replace wife's XP box

Milehigh

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Of course since it is XP, it needs to go... here are the questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

She is strictly an email, surfing, shopping kind of woman. Nothing fancy, no fancy graphics, etc..

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I'd like to stay under $500 if possible.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

I'm in Colorado, Denver metro area

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Would like a cheap box, mobo & cpu combo with 8 gb of memory, video built-in is fine. Would like an SSD around 120 to 240 gb. Small power supply, whatever is sufficient. Interested in dual monitor support.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Only thing I'm reusing would be a keyboard, mouse, and monitor though I might upgrade that later.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

22" is the current monitor, due to usage above, 1680 x 1050 is fine, anything higher is just a bonus

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

As soon as I put together the parts, next couple of weeks.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Onboard video is fine, but dual monitor support preferred.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Whole point is to move to a Win7 64 bit platform, away from XP, so need to buy Win7 64 bit. I'll worry about Win 8 later... combo deals are great from reputable vendors (IE Newegg), and the box esthetics are important to my wife, she likes small and black I think :)

Here's what I came up with. Has almost everything requested (no dual-monitor off of board that I'm aware of) and went just a bit over budget ($522.12).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mZ6s

You said she likes things "small and black", so I spec'ed out a mini-itx rig using a black coolermaster elite-120.

Last edited:
Not bad, thanks for the spec'd list Mogar... definitely some good stuff on there that will meet her computing needs.

Thanks wtourist, was the 3rd item down a cpu? Didn't load, do like the Cooler Master box :)

Back