Need to replace section of coax

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
So long story short, stupid dog decided our coax line on the outside of the house (its ran down low) looked like a good snack.

I need to replace about a 5ft section of it. I assume this isn't Time Warners problem since its not the section directly off the pole?

Google tells me i can check the cable for the type and I assume i should match this. Are there any particular types of crimps or anything I should use? Any other helpful pointers you guys can offer?

So long story short, stupid dog decided our coax line on the outside of the house (its ran down low) looked like a good snack.

I need to replace about a 5ft section of it. I assume this isn't Time Warners problem since its not the section directly off the pole?

Google tells me i can check the cable for the type and I assume i should match this. Are there any particular types of crimps or anything I should use? Any other helpful pointers you guys can offer?

If you do it yourself, always get compression fittings. There are "Screw type" fittings that just screw onto the cable jacket, and they are terrible. I would just replace the whole cable.

If you do it yourself, always get compression fittings. There are "Screw type" fittings that just screw onto the cable jacket, and they are terrible. I would just replace the whole cable.

I don't see why he would need to replace the whole cable. Just get some cable, some compression ends and a couple couplers.

Lowe's or Home Deport should have a tool kit the comes with a cable stripper, crimper, and some compression fittings. They should also have some couplers.

Pretty sure you can also buy cable by the foot from them if you don't already have some cable laying around.

Read up on how to properly terminate 75ohm cable...you do have to cut the various parts correctly and make sure the jacket braid does not short to the center conductor.

Is there a demarc box where the drop from the pole connects to the house wiring? It might be a good idea to disconnect the cable you are working on there while you do it.

I don't see why he would need to replace the whole cable. Just get some cable, some compression ends and a couple couplers.

Lowe's or Home Deport should have a tool kit the comes with a cable stripper, crimper, and some compression fittings. They should also have some couplers.

Pretty sure you can also buy cable by the foot from them if you don't already have some cable laying around.

It just looks cleaner, is easier to waterproof, and ensures the entire cable is the same quality. If it was originally installed by the cable company, they almost always just do a straight shot on the outside of the building. For minimal extra effort and $10, you can replace the whole thing, so why not?

If replacing the entire cable looks like it would be a PITA, then just replacing the section is still fine.

If replacing the entire cable looks like it would be a PITA, then just replacing the section is still fine.

No way i'm climbing the pole but, it comes into a corner of the house off said pole them runs around the outside of the house to the front and into the computer room. It was setup like this when we moved in. And i need to replace a section cause he chewed on quite a bit of it.

Thanks though guys, i'll check around Lowes and see what i can find. Will make sure to get a crimper and compression fittings. I do plan to eventually have it enter the house where it comes in and the run through the attic.

Read up on how to properly terminate 75ohm cable...you do have to cut the various parts correctly and make sure the jacket braid does not short to the center conductor.

Is there a demarc box where the drop from the pole connects to the house wiring? It might be a good idea to disconnect the cable you are working on there while you do it.

And that is what the cable stripper in the kit is for.

You cut the cable straight, then use the stripper on it. It cuts everything to the exact proper length and then you just use the compression end tool to put an end on it.

Disconnecting is a good idea, but is probably not necessary. I had to do a similar repair a few years ago because of construction workers trashing a length of cable when they were digging and didn't bother even trying to disconnect anything.

No way i'm climbing the pole but, it comes into a corner of the house off said pole them runs around the outside of the house to the front and into the computer room. It was setup like this when we moved in. And i need to replace a section cause he chewed on quite a bit of it.

Thanks though guys, i'll check around Lowes and see what i can find. Will make sure to get a crimper and compression fittings. I do plan to eventually have it enter the house where it comes in and the run through the attic.

No no no, never touch the cable going to the pole. You need to locate the demark for your cable provider. The cable should come off the pole and go into a box on the outside of your house that looks something like this: http://www.thecomputercoach.net/assets/images/DEMARC.jpg . The cable company owns everything up to and including that box. Inside that box is a splitter that then runs one or more cables to the devices in your house.

If the section of cable that is damaged is between the pole and that box, you need to call your cable company and have them replace it. Its a special kind of cable that you wont be able to get at home depot. Probably outdoor rated, quad shielded, ariel cable.

In more urban areas the cable is sometimes terminated in a pedestal, or inside the home.

The inside of the demark should look something like this: http://s112.photobucket.com/user/Z7What/media/Misc/B8C1DC23-0766-4AF0-B538-AC00E0B421D9.jpg.html (though that one looks pretty nasty, its the best image I could find)

To replace the cable you would just unscrew the damaged one and run a new line around the house and into the computer room.

No no no, never touch the cable going to the pole. You need to locate the demark for your cable provider. The cable should come off the pole and go into a box on the outside of your house that looks something like this: http://www.thecomputercoach.net/assets/images/DEMARC.jpg . The cable company owns everything up to and including that box. Inside that box is a splitter that then runs one or more cables to the devices in your house.

If the section of cable that is damaged is between the pole and that box, you need to call your cable company and have them replace it. Its a special kind of cable that you wont be able to get at home depot. Probably outdoor rated, quad shielded, ariel cable.

In more urban areas the cable is sometimes terminated in a pedestal, or inside the home.

The inside of the demark should look something like this: http://s112.photobucket.com/user/Z7What/media/Misc/B8C1DC23-0766-4AF0-B538-AC00E0B421D9.jpg.html (though that one looks pretty nasty, its the best image I could find)

To replace the cable you would just unscrew the damaged one and run a new line around the house and into the computer room.

Unless it is Mediacom and the cable runs straight from the pole to the modem in your house with nothing in between... And they had regular indoor cable buried as well.

I no longer have Mediacom as my ISP.

Hmm.. I will definitely check for this. Thanks for the info. I figured they owned the cable from the pole to the house, didn't know about the box though.

True, they might cover damage for free up to the demarc point on your home (usually a ground block near the power meter). BUT, they will repair any lines in or on your home for a nominal fee. Plus they will make sure it is done correctly. Could you do it yourself? Sure. Are you willing to risk having signal issues if you terminate a connector badly? Do you want to buy the tools and connectors for a 1-time use? It's probably a wash, price wise, to do it yourself having to buy the tools and connectors.... vs. having Time Warner come out and letting them do it and bill you.

Maybe they will repair it for free. Can't hurt to call and ask.

As bad as it sounds, just tell them it was vandalism. It's close enough to the truth anyway. They'll cover it.

I cleaned up some coax on the outside of my house a little over a year ago. It was just messy with a lot of extra cable coiled up coming down the side and then into my house. I got a 50 ft or so chunk of coax from a guy at work and picked up one of these DataShark 70018 Cable TV Kits and a bag of compression fittings from eBay. I knew that I'd be using the tools more as I went thru my house and worked on the coax. I ended up pretty much running all new coax throughout the house. There were a bunch of short pieces connected together throughout the house that I re-ran as 1 solid piece. There are plenty of You Tube videos on how to put the fittings on. I'd start by doing a few test pieces to get the feel of it. It's pretty straight forward so after a couple practice ends, you'll be doing it without any issues.

My levels are a lot better now (and things look a lot neater too). I think the combination of good coax, good compression fittings, new splitters and no excess coax all over the place made everything much better. :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back