Need to push the power button to turn off computer

DKTVPN

Weaksauce
I just reformated my old system to install fresh Win2K, got all the service pack updates and just found out when first turning off the system I have to push the power button just like using Win95 or AT motherboard. I look in the bios, old DELL computer, it doesn't have the "soft off" feature.

One thing I notice in the bios is I didn't turn on the Plug and Play OS, set it back but nothing changed. How to fix this problem? It's very annoying when I have to wait Win2K doing the routine to turn off and have to push the button when the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer".

There is a setting in the BIOS setip to enable or disable ACPI support. If enabled, Windows should install as an "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" (look in Device Manager) and will handle IRQs automatically. Shutdown also works the way it is supposed to.

If ACPI is disabled in the BIOS at the time Windows was installed, the CPU will show in Device Manager as a "Standard PC", IRQ assignments can be modified by the user, and Shutdown doesn't really work. You just get a "It is safe to turn off your computer" screen.

Unfortunately, enabling ACPI support in the BIOS doesn't work after Windows is installed. You have to change the HAL (very tricky) or reinstall Windows.

Back