Need to OC 1030 - TDP wall?

mike6289

n00b
My actual graphics card is broken and won't be fixed for a couple months. I'm using a MSI GeForce GT1030 2GH LP OC for the time being - link at bottom.

I'm able to increase the GPU clock in MSI Afterburner, but when running reasonably demanding games (anything but UT2k4) I only get about 85% of the way to what I've set. During this, the TDP in GPU-Z reads 30 watts.

Example:
UT2k4 I get all 1950mhz I ask for with 18-23 watts.
COD Black Ops 3 I get 1750-1800 with 29.8-29.9 watts

Is there anything that can be done about this 30 watt wall I'm hitting? I want to set the limit to 40-45 watts. The card's thermals would be fine - might hit 85 degrees here and there for a couple months - not concerned about being stable for 10 years.

Anyway, am I doing something wrong? I haven't overclocked for a while

ASUS GeForce GT 1030 LP 2GB (GT1030-2G-CSM) Video Card | Canada Computers & Electronics

from what I can tell, most/all 1030's have power limit locked in BIOS so shunt modding might the only way to go over 30W and that's a drastic mod

from what I can tell, most/all 1030's have power limit locked in BIOS so shunt modding might the only way to go over 30W and that's a drastic mod

By shunt do you mean run a wire from one spot on the card to another? Or from the power supply? If so, I'd do it. I'm decent with a soldering iron

too bad its a pita to mod the vbios on nvidia cards...

the shunt modding may be changing the resister value of a spacific resistor on the card but i have no idea if the documentation is available for a 1030.

any chance you can hit up craigslist and find a cheap 290, 480, or 7970? all those cards will push quite abit farther then stock and should offer a more playable experience.

too bad its a pita to mod the vbios on nvidia cards...

the shunt modding may be changing the resister value of a spacific resistor on the card but i have no idea if the documentation is available for a 1030.

any chance you can hit up craigslist and find a cheap 290, 480, or 7970? all those cards will push quite abit farther then stock and should offer a more playable experience.
I really don't want to. Bought a 3080, don't want to spend another dime on a video card lol

Edit: I have a resistor kit, from 1 ohm to 10 meg ohm :D (12 of 150ish different values), 1/4 watt. I can make any resistor!

I really don't want to. Bought a 3080, don't want to spend another dime on a video card lol

Edit: I have a resistor kit, from 1 ohm to 10 meg ohm :D (12 of 150ish different values), 1/4 watt. I can make any resistor!
you could probably sell the gt 1030 for whatever you buy a different card for.

the issue isnt necessarily the soldering it or having the right resister, its knowing what ya have too mod. normally people put in the work for higher end cards but I dont believe anyone has for a 1030.

Im assuming msi afterburner wont give you voltage control either? sometimes a slight undervolt will get you farther with a fixed tdp limit

can you find a gt 1030 with the same memory but higher tdp? if so you may be able to just flash the vbios

you could probably sell the gt 1030 for whatever you buy a different card for.

the issue isnt necessarily the soldering it or having the right resister, its knowing what ya have too mod. normally people put in the work for higher end cards but I dont believe anyone has for a 1030.

Im assuming msi afterburner wont give you voltage control either? sometimes a slight undervolt will get you farther with a fixed tdp limit

can you find a gt 1030 with the same memory but higher tdp? if so you may be able to just flash the vbios

I didn't even think to lower the voltage! But I can't anyway lol, the bar's greyed out. That probably would've helped me get most of the way there.

I had an AMD card I undervolted a couple years ago by modifying the BIOS (not flashing to a different manufacturer, modifying). Can't be done with nvidia cards?

Back