need to measure packet loss between arbitrary hosts

venm11

2[H]4U
Can someone recommend a utility (or method) of measuring packet loss? I'm trying to determine which router is dropping packets, and how much. Some kind of client-driven stress test would be good, like a windows utility that fire traffic at the router and get some failure rate or graph over time. Ideally, identify the point of failure.

I've been trying to use ping (against 5 upstream routers at once) but it's crude and has not pointed conclusively to one router or link.

Is there no way to manually log in to the routers themselves and manually check this? This is going under the assumption that it's professional grade equipment and not some consumer grade stuff.

Is there no way to manually log in to the routers themselves and manually check this? This is going under the assumption that it's professional grade equipment and not some consumer grade stuff.

Yes and no. This is a home network. I've just added a dd-wrt router which apparently doesn't keep its own logs (it wants syslog). The existing router doesn't log anything useful, nor does my dsl modem

The two devices that are suspect is my existing wifi router (wifi2) and verizon's dsl interface/bridge thingy.

At the moment my network looks like this:
computerz --> wifi2 --> wifi3 --> dsl modem --> verizon bridge --> [2 local verizon routers]

So, I did a traceroute and set up a continuous ping to each node. Sometimes it clearly indicates that one node is the culprit, but other times it will point to something else, as if either all of these routers are intermittently failing or a router (wifi2) is intermittently and selectively filtering icmp traffic.

I physically inserted wifi3, the dd-wrt router which is at least giving me a bandwidth graph and eventually relevant logging.

I ought to hook a computer up directly to the DSL modem, except that I can't generate the same conditions when this occurs (one of the streaming services has pretty lumpy bandwidth consumption).

Back