Need to manage a 302MB SQL file...

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

I don't really care to install MySQL then phpmyadmin onto my desktop just to do some edits with this. What I really want is something like phpmyadmin that will allow me to open this SQL file easily and edit it. I just need to remove some tables to get the size back down. Mainly I just want to pull the phpbb3 tables out of it so I can go back to hosting the forums. The rest of the data is from stats/ranks generating on Source Engine servers.

I tried opening it in NotePad++ and it just bogs the program down to the point that it becomes unresponsive. :eek:

It should import pretty quickly - less than an hour, way less if you have at least 4GB of RAM and a newer i5/i7 and even less if you have an SSD

I pull in 3GB files that I have to let run for 4-5 hours just to pull a few queries out of and then delete. But that's what 24GB i7's are for...

Will give Jujuedit a run.

I have 16GB of RAM and an old i7 that I'm working with on RAID 1, 1TB hdds.

I was really hoping for a "phpmyadmin" type program that instead of connecting to a database, could "load" the file in a database like structure that'll give you all the features of phpmyadmin instead of having to install mysql, then using the command line or just installing phpmyadmin as well.

You could create a new VM with Ubuntu server or equivalent, which would have MySQL installed by default. The install should take no more than 20 minutes, and won't pollute your host OS.

Import? Is this a MySQL dump file, or a MySQL database binary file?

MySQL dump file, not the binary.

I can open it in NotePad++ and/or other text editors if the size wasn't so big.

What I need to do with this file is basically pull all the phpbb3 tables out of it, then upload it to a host so I can get my old forums back online.

This would be 1 million times easier with phpmyadmin, as I could just click on the tables I want and export only them. Wish their was a stand alone program that would open the text file in the same way that phpmyadmin lays it out for you with options to manipulate them.

However, just opening them with a text editor that wont bog down would work, it'll just take a little more time to delete/extract what I need.

....or as stated previously you could have simply have done this in a Linux VM and be done with it already

This sounds like it is a problem just due to the restrictions the OP placed on it.. I liked the VM idea, or just install it on your machine and get it done. Using a text editor on that large of a file sounds dumb

Not really when the database is gone. All I have is the SQL file. I can not create a new one from the database because it's gone.

So in order for that to happen, I would have had to add it to a new database, then use mysqldump to pull the tables I want which essentially... is what I was wanting to do in the first place, minus the database set up part.

OK I know you are looking for an 'easier" solution, in the last 12 hours of looking for an easier solution, wouldn't it have been easier to just install MySQL and do just that?

OK I know you are looking for an 'easier" solution, in the last 12 hours of looking for an easier solution, wouldn't it have been easier to just install MySQL and do just that?

I've already done what I needed. No, installing MySQL was not something I wanted to do.

Exactly...a 302Mb file should of opened fine in ultraedit or notepad++

Notepad++ chocked. I had to use a different editor to open the file. JuJu handled it much, much better.

Back