Need to inventory all PC's on network

MrValentine

[H]ard|Gawd
I work on a network with around 3000 PC's and 99% of them are on the domain. But I dont see any tools via AD for me to find out the specs of all the PC's from my OU's.

Ultimate goal is to find out how many have under 256mb of ram. But having other info would be helpfull. As in how many of each model, etc.

I've looked at http://www.lansweeper.com/
But figured I should ask here as their may be other solutions I'm not aware of.

SCCM if you have that many machines on the domain, might already have licenses if you're on an enterprise agreement.

Lansweeper will show you specs...and an incredibly large amount of info..even from the free version.

And it works well. Install .NET Frame and IIS..and Lansweeper...deploy the script via GP, and you're all set.

Spiceworks..I've tried that many times, it's not very effective, slow and bloated, and has adware in it.

SCCM if you have that many machines on the domain, might already have licenses if you're on an enterprise agreement.

this. i am surprised you have a network that large without a centralized management / reporting structure.

See. Now i'm glad I asked!!! I didnt even know that SCCM existed. I've been reading up for the last hour and sent out a email asking the right questions to campus.

My department while having 3000+ PC's is not located on campus, but at 200+ locations all over the state. So we dont have a lot of communiction with the acctual admins on campus, and the 15 techs that support those 3000 pcs are left to fend for themselves for solutions to problems/issues.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. At least now if I find SCCM isnt being ran on campus I know that putting the effort into Lansweeper is worth it.

Nice. If you do get the chance to deploy sccm take it. If you master it you will line yourself up for some decent cash as it is extremely complicated.

Back