Need to Fix HSF

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U
One pin that plugged into the mobo on my hsf broke. Still seems to seat well because there is no heating problems. I'd be more comfortable if there a way to secure the corner down better though. Any ideas?

Would help if you provided pictures and told us what kind of socket we are dealing with.

Right off the top of my head though. Some hsf setups you can remove the snap tab thing and just use a bolt and nut straight through. Use a plastic washer on the back of the motherboard to insulate it however.

You could also probably get away with using two zip ties. Stick the flat in through the hsf (from the top) to the bottom of the motherboard. Then use another zip tie to slide it though the tab and tighten both sides up until it's nice and snug.

Both are ghetto ways.

Additionally, you could spend like $30 for a better aftermarket setup.

Would help if you provided pictures and told us what kind of socket we are dealing with.

Right off the top of my head though. Some hsf setups you can remove the snap tab thing and just use a bolt and nut straight through. Use a plastic washer on the back of the motherboard to insulate it however.

You could also probably get away with using two zip ties. Stick the flat in through the hsf (from the top) to the bottom of the motherboard. Then use another zip tie to slide it though the tab and tighten both sides up until it's nice and snug.

Both are ghetto ways.

It's this hsf fitted for a LGA 1150, https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...8&qid=1501812018&sr=8-6&keywords=heatsink+fan

one of the black parts that seats the pin broke

I've already replaced it, but would be if I could fix it so I could have a spare lying around.

Attachments

• IMG_20170803_185151873.jpg
    IMG_20170803_185151873.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
find an oem intel hsf see if thiers match. otherwise you could prob just stick a round tooth pick into it to keep the pressure on it to stay open.

Both are ghetto ways.

Good ideas.

It would be nice for OP to have bought a better cooler to begin with, those expanding pop-it retainers are total crap.
Makes no sense to me why Intel uses those other than being cheap and simple. Not very solid and reliable though.

I've used zip ties to hold fans on to the HSF before, but I think I'd go with your idea of screws, locknuts, and plastic washers.
That would be very solid and put good contact pressure on the CPU (as long as he doesn't over-do the pressure).

It's dangerous going that route. You can crush the CPU die that way if you're not careful.

Back