Need to determine best processor for low-end WoW build

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I'm doing a World of Warcraft build for a friend for about $500 (OS/Mon not included, all new parts), and this leaves me around $100-130 to spend on the processor. Unfortunately, the best-value processors in this price range are excellent at multi-threaded loads, but are marginal at single-threaded loads.

Every benchmark I've seen says that WoW doesn't scale beyond 2 cores, so I'm wary of wasting build money on a 3 or 4 core setup. That leaves me with a very short list of questionable choices:

Core 2 Duo - fast, but the socket is dead.
Phenom II X2/X3 - from the benchmarks I've seen, it's a step behind anything Intel.
Core i3 - fast but overpriced, questionable memory performance and there's no Turbo Boost in my price range.

Now, because I don't actually play WoW, I can't really infer much from the sparse benchmarks available. So, if anyone could tell me how playable WoW is on a given low-end processor, I would appreciate it. I mean, all my worries are moot if the poor performance I've seen from the Phenom is still "good enough."

I don't want to depend on overclocking the machine because this guy is a complete newbie at computer building, so that's something for way further down the line. He also lives a couple hours away from me, so I'm not in driving distance if his machine suddenly has stability problems from the overclock.

Of course, if anyone can magically build me a Core i7 750/4GB system for $500 shipped with a 5670/GT240 or better, no MIRs, this would all be easily solved - but unfortunately, it's more in the $600 range :( Every WoW benchmark I've seen shows the i7 750 destroying everything else below $200.

Last edited:
Hmm, the thing is that the latest WOW expansion, Cataclysm, is suppose to be heavily multi-threaded.

Also, were the benchmarks that you saw done with the latest patched version of WOW? IIRC, even the current iteration is a little multi-threaded.

If you want to do it on the cheap just for wow a PhenomII-4 core will do great.

WoW now uses all cores available.

Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Added support for more than just single-core & dual core CPUs.

http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_processAffinityMask

Yes, but according to the developers, the latest patched version still only offloads sound and minor processing. The bulk of the processing is still performed by one main thread.

WoW is still a single threaded application. 5 years ago when WoW launched, multi-CPU systems were just starting to emerge. Changing WoW to a multi-threaded application (able to natively make use of multiple CPUs) would require a complete re-write of the game code. While that may happen in the distant future, I do not believe our development team has any immediate plans to do this.

So to answer the question of how many CPUs WoW will actively use, it will run its primary thread on a single processor and offload sound and other minor threads to additional processors, but to a much more limited extent.

But you will also see some gain from multiple CPUs if you run other programs in the background, such as Ventrillo/Team Speak, web browsing, and of course Windows itself, as those can be handled by CPUs that aren't processing the game client.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1778017311&sid=1&pageNo=17

Hmm, the thing is that the latest WOW expansion, Cataclysm, is suppose to be heavily multi-threaded.

You don't get that impression in the rest of the thread I linked, let-alone the quote I took from it. The developers seem to be having trouble getting users to accept SSE optimizations, let-alone real multi-core support.

Also, were the benchmarks that you saw done with the latest patched version of WOW? IIRC, even the current iteration is a little multi-threaded.

Yes, none were from before 2010, I made sure of that.

I am a very avid WoW player and I can tell you this. I dont think WoW will ever really see anything over 2 cores. even now with the new Boost in Graphics with Water & everything I dont see it eating any other resources that it didnt do before. I actualy think the water looks Semi Terrible. even all Maxed out I do not see anything differenct Graphical wise with WoW at all besides Water.

in my Opinion I would go with a Tri Core something in the ballpark of a (I think going Multi core is still a good option cause if you run background Programs its still going to benefit you in the long run)

Phenom x3 740: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...103699&cm_re=phenom_x3-_-19-103-699-_-Product

one thing I really really do notice with WoW is that if you dont have a HDD that is fast enough loading sucks. Ive run the f3 samsung 1tb and the 500gb and WoW loads fantastic with these drives.

I run WoW on my PII X4 965 with no problems and hardly ever see more than 2 cores taxed and that is with Ventrilo and iTunes running in the background.

Like you listed, WoW does not utilize multiple cores even after the recent patch. I would say go with the X3 so that if the PC is going to last for a while that it would be capable of handling games that use multiple cores better.

You don't get that impression in the rest of the thread I linked, let-alone the quote I took from it. The developers seem to be having trouble getting users to accept SSE optimizations, let-alone real multi-core support.

Well just stuff I've heard from this forums.

Anyway, seems like a tri-core CPU would be your best bet. Fast enough and that extra core should help out with background apps that many WOW users tend to have

Phenom x3 740: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...103699&cm_re=phenom_x3-_-19-103-699-_-Product

one thing I really really do notice with WoW is that if you dont have a HDD that is fast enough loading sucks. Ive run the f3 samsung 1tb and the 500gb and WoW loads fantastic with these drives.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward Phenom triple core, and the Samsung F3 was my top priority (since this build can't afford an SSD). If the Core i3 wasn't so goddamn overpriced it would be a done deal, but I can't justify the money Intel wants for it when it will be a poor fit for any other more-modern game out there.

Thanks for the insight folks. I wish Blizzard would have made this easier on me by properly threading their game engine, but I (very personally) understand the difficulty of porting to multiple cores, so I'm not surprised that they'll just sit on their hands.

Best deal I can see for a wow specific build is this. & especially if you mix it into this combo.

As a complete system I prices out to 497 including a 5670.. TBH though given the budget I would consider looking for a 4850 from the FS/T forums (or PM me) as you should be able to get one for about 50 bucks & it would be a way better performer then the 5670 would be.

here is the system I just priced out

43 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB
75 SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB
45 Antec NEO ECO 400C
35 Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B
120 NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan + G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
159 BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD AM3 AMD 890GX + AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka

Shipped total of 497.81..

Also I am sure there is some massaging to bring that price down. I am not up to date on coolers so I just picked one I know would perform well enough & be quiet & for mATX I just really like that case. So with that case the memory was way cheap including the combo discount.

How much faster are these Samsung F3 drives vs WD Blacks? Just curious, I have a 640GB Black and it's damn fast already.

Danny i asked this before. I have the WD WD5000AAKS 500GB Blue. Im averaging about 103. In the image its Averaging 112. Now im wondering is this because of my board. Would I see an increase going up to a Sata 6 board?

Last edited:
Danny i asked this before. I have the WD WD5000AAKS 500GB Blue. Im averaging about 103. In the image its Averaging 112. Now im wondering is this because of my board. Would I see an increase going up to a Sata 6 board?

No, not really. Note that the image is of a WD5000AAKS with no OS on it. It was attached as secondary storage in my PC for a bit

one quick question what are u using for a HDD cooler. I see your temps are in the 23s & sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back