need to completely block netflix in router

Snakebyt

[H]ard|Gawd
Need to completly block netflix in my router. Room mate is constantly streaming even when he is not home and its using up too much data. I did block netflix, netflix.com ect. Problem is that is uses it on his tablet, he will start streaming on his data plan then switch to wifi and it will continue to stream on wifi. Is there a way to block it all together? I have a BUFFALO AirStation WZR-600DHP router, so i know there are tons of settings. Anyone have any suggestions?

:eek: this is NEW you guys must not get along :D

if you know his email account and password just change it to something he does not know soo hell get his own or change your netflix user account credit card info or account info easyer to do it that way LOL :D so it does not work for him !! or cancel the old account and just make a new one under a new user name and password

:eek: this is NEW you guys must not get along :D

if you know his email account and password just change it to something he does not know soo hell get his own or change your netflix user account credit card info or account info easyer to do it that way LOL :D so it does not work for him !! or cancel the old account and just make a new one under a new user name and password

well its his netflix account, but my internet account.. i dont watch netflix, just him. I have thought about qos for video streaming, but i need my PC and my girlfriends PC and mobile devices to still work for yourube since she watches it quite a bit.

netflix.com

secure.netflix-new.com.edgekey.net

Unless he tries to use another country that should block it.

Need both.

ill give that a try...

think it will block when he switches from his mobile data to wifi?

If your room mate is somewhat tech aware, he might get around by using a vpn service. Might be easier to have a face to face with the room mate and settle on him paying for his data usage. If you have already been there, done that and this is plan B, make sure logging is turned on on your router so you can see what URL's/IPs are getting the most data usage.

Assign your room mate a reserved IP and if your router has a quota feature, give that IP a quota, and when it is gone, no internet for the rest of the billing cycle.

he isnt very tech aware at all.. blocking netflix in the router worked till he googled it and found out about switching from his data plan to wifi mid stream to get it to work. Also wouldnt mind just slowing him down to a crawl so that it wouldnt stream well.

maybe you should give him the bill if does not mind paying for the extra data charges.

or tell him to get his own internet.

why go through the frustrations of blocking someone from accessing sites?

seems like a pathway to ruining your relationship with your roommate.

he isnt very tech aware at all.. blocking netflix in the router worked till he googled it and found out about switching from his data plan to wifi mid stream to get it to work. Also wouldnt mind just slowing him down to a crawl so that it wouldnt stream well.

i think netflix speeds needs to stream are anything above 5 GB to run smoothly soo anything below it should do it :D
and your router you use should be able to see his IP address for his system he uses separate Ip from yours and limit or Block that 1 only IP
just type your ip addy in to your browser to accsess your router then look for his IP or PC there then Block or Limit it there (his IP and PC only)
and if he usesd wi-fi just change your Wi-fi password he wont have accesses to that wi-fi Ip No more with out it and you should be able to change your routers access password there as well for a wired conection aswell NO MAIN PASSWORD = NO ACCESS :D once you have done that youll have to reconnect all your devices that U use on that router with the new passcode or password to get access

PS
its usaly a 22 or 24 word password with letters and numbers and is case sensitive soo you can use upper and lower case letters

Last edited:

I would force him to use your router as DNS, that should stop him from going around.

Otherwise get a router that does application blocking :D

Setup a guest wifi login, cap the speed, change your main wifi ssid password and blacklist his mac addresses.

Setup a guest wifi login, cap the speed, change your main wifi ssid password and blacklist his mac addresses.

or just assign him static dhcp leases on all his devices and turn qos on with his IPs at the lowest priority

my simple solution:

put your mac address in whitelit
and the rest on capped B/W limiter

this is does not matter your friend using VPN or faking mac address (as long as not stealing your mac address). all efforts are futile for your friend.

I did this when sharing internet DSL connection, I put mac address on my whitelist, and let myfriend mac in B/W capped :p...
my friend was complaining, I said "yeah the internet is OK, I think you are doing streaming much (indirectly to let my friend understand)".

for months, my friend stop complaining, and told me "I will get my internet connection by myself".
I said. good as I said "since you doing streaming, getting your own internet connection is the best".
at that time. I was happy and talked to my self "never ever share internet connection, unless we have agreement to split B/W 50%/50% with B/W limiter regardless fair or not.

end of story:)

How about an adult conversation with the roommate and tell him to knock it off? Is your problem only that Netflix slows down "your" connection too much? Often that can be resolved by simply getting a better router... How fast is your internet connection?

Or just use the QoS (linked earlier in this thread) and put hit devices down to low priority...

First of all QoS wont help, it only affects upload not download unless you're doing something really stupid like discarding packets that already hit your connection.
Just kindly ask, netflix tops out at ~5.5mbit/s so I don't see how it should be an issue.

netflix tops out at ~5.5mbit/s so I don't see how it should be an issue.
OP Said:
...Room mate is constantly streaming even when he is not home and its using up too much data.....​

Bandwidth =/= Data

I'm assuming he has a shit ISP like Comcast that has a data cap. 5.5 Mbps running 24/7 is ~59 GB a day. Now I'm confident it's not pulling 5.5 Mbps all day, but regardless leaving netflix running when you aren't even watching it can put a huge dent in a data cap.

My take: this roommate is a douche by abusing free Internet you offered him. If my shower was broke or I didn't have the money to fix my own and someone offered me use of theirs, I'd be fast and clean up after myself. I wouldn't be a dick and take an hour long shower, then leave the water running when I left. Give him a week to get his own Internet, then cut the fucker off.

Not familiar with watching netflix on a tablet or computer for a long period, but I have noticed that if the kids leave a series running on the Roku, after 2-3 episodes it times out and leaves a message asking if you are still watching. Does the tablet/phone/computer interfaces for Netflix not do this? If they do, then I don't see how the roommate is constantly streaming.

Not familiar with watching netflix on a tablet or computer for a long period, but I have noticed that if the kids leave a series running on the Roku, after 2-3 episodes it times out and leaves a message asking if you are still watching. Does the tablet/phone/computer interfaces for Netflix not do this? If they do, then I don't see how the roommate is constantly streaming.

pretty sure that is a setting you can enable/disable.

Back