need to combine T1 & DSL connection - how can i ?

T

troyquigley

i have a T1 with 512kb of bandwidth
i am getting DSL with 1.5 of bandwidth

i want to be able to combine the bandwidth, or at least somehow tell the workstations to use both connections

can i just add the 2nd router ip to my GLOBAL scope in the DHCP manager ?

can the DHCP manager actually assign 2 gateways, and if so, will the workstation use both or just chose one ?

i am trying to find a way to use both connections without spending alot of money on new equipment

A default gateway is just that; the one and only default.

You need a router that can make intelligent routing decisions, which means spending money. Are both connections to the same provider? If not, you'll have a tough time making this work. Even if they are, you'll still have a tough time making this work, and will likely have to buy some hardware (good luck!)

You can get routers which have dual WAN ports. Example....Linksys/Cisco RV0 series routers. These will "load balance", and provide "failover redundancy"...if one link goes down, all LAN traffic will be redirected to the other connection.

This will only load balance though, you do not get combined throughput...no "shotgunning" effect here. So a 1/2 meg frac T and a 1.5 meg DSL will not equal 2.0 megs of throughput...however...it can pretty much carry 2x megs worth of concurrent traffic across the two.

like someone mentioned before, you will not be able to bond them as far as I know. You would need 2 circuits from the same provider and special eqiupment to do that... plus the provider I beleive needs to do something on their end to make that work.. but I could be wrong.. never tried. We do bgp with a couple T1's here at work.

The following companies have routers that load balance two wans(for speed)
for sure on the downloads, not sure about upload.
I think prices range from $200 to $600+
HotBrick
Xincom
EdiMax
ZyXel

j4zzee said:
The following companies have routers that load balance two wans(for speed)
for sure on the downloads, not sure about upload.
I think prices range from $200 to $600+
HotBrick
Xincom
EdiMax
ZyXel

Also Linksys/Cisco (as mentioned above)
and
Symantec (router division used to be Nexland)

I've setup both of those products before.

Back