Need to clean CPU, no alcohol, what should I use instead?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
I was going to replace my case and install an Evo 212 cooler today (replacing stock AMD jet engine sounding cooler), but I just discovered we have no rubbing alcohol here. Best I could find is nail polish remover, obviously no way I am going to use that. Tomorrow early morning will be the only chance I can work on the computer due to some circumstances, I already know my parents will not take me to buy just some alcohol in the morning and its too late now tonight. So what is there I can use instead? Some people have been telling other people to use a water dampened cloth, but I am really not comfortable doing that. I know water itself will not kill electronics, but when power is applied to the wet circuits it can get fried because of conductivity or something (assuming water/moisture gets to the internals). Some other people have been saying to use just a dry cloth and rub off the stuff, but I can imagine that would not leave it perfectly clean. I read one guy recommend to use lemon juice...

What would you say I use or what technique to do?

Do it right, use 90+% alcohol. Ride your bikes, walk, take the bus, call a friend or wait it out. Being impatient will only result in a catastrophe. Ask a neighbor or a friend if you can borrow a bottle.

Do it right, use 90+% alcohol. Ride your bikes, walk, take the bus, call a friend or wait it out. Being impatient will only result in a catastrophe. Ask a neighbor or a friend if you can borrow a bottle.

^This...

do it right or don't do it...

Alright, Ill try to get it in the morning, but if not I guess I can do it in the afternoon, but it would be way easier in the morning due to something coming up tomorrow. Do they normally sell 9x% alcohol in stores like Walgreens, CVS, Target, or even grocery stores? I know I can get that 75% regular stuff, but I want the more concentrated stuff. Common in stores?

Alright, Ill try to get it in the morning, but if not I guess I can do it in the afternoon, but it would be way easier in the morning due to something coming up tomorrow. Do they normally sell 9x% alcohol in stores like Walgreens, CVS, Target, or even grocery stores? I know I can get that 75% regular stuff, but I want the more concentrated stuff. Common in stores?
I found 91% alcohol at a 99 cents store. Pretty sure the stores you mentioned have those as well.

Just ask the store attendant for 90% rubbing alcohol. Even a chain store like Stater Bros has it. I get some 91% right from there. Most stores usually have it. Just the 70% stuff is displayed more as I think that's the more popular one since it isn't as strong.

I assume you're a school student (and not in college?)

It should be brain dead easy to get some 91% alcohol. Only costs a few bucks...if you can go to the store to get a drink or some chips, you can get some 91% alcohol.

Just ask the store attendant for 90% rubbing alcohol. Even a chain store like Stater Bros has it. I get some 91% right from there. Most stores usually have it. Just the 70% stuff is displayed more as I think that's the more popular one since it isn't as strong.

I assume you're a school student (and not in college?)

It should be brain dead easy to get some 91% alcohol. Only costs a few bucks...if you can go to the store to get a drink or some chips, you can get some 91% alcohol.

Ive just never seen 90% alcohol on shelves, I know it is out there, but I just never have seen it in stores, then again, I never have looked for it. College student as well ;)

It really won't hurt it to just scrub it off with a paper towel and throw the new paste on. Seriously. Unless you've got a lapped CPU and waterblock going for that extra special 1*C less temp you're never going to notice if you cleaned it with alcohol or not.

For what it's worth, 70% works better than 90% or more for removal of skin oils (such as fingerprints) because the water helps the alcohol penetrate cell walls. This is not relevant for removal of thermal paste; either 70% or 91% will do just fine for doing that and the strength doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, 70% works better than 90% or more for removal of skin oils (such as fingerprints) because the water helps the alcohol penetrate cell walls. This is not relevant for removal of thermal paste; either 70% or 91% will do just fine for doing that and the strength doesn't matter.

Yeah, I think people just like to use 90% because it evaporates faster and has less water or additives, which would mean 90% has a less likely chance of doing any harm to the cpu if it got to the internals or something.

You shouldn't have to ask for it at the pharmacy.

In pretty much any store, the 90/91% should be stocked right next to the 70%.

Even Walmart has it and it is cheap.

That being said, when I am working on a machine and don't have any alcohol available, I just wipe it off real good with a paper towel or tissue. Have never had a problem doing it that way.

lacquer thinner, paint stripper, mineral spirits, and gasoline will work. all stuff that's found in almost everybody's garage

EDIT: forgot carb cleaner, starter fluid and goo gone/off, but that last one leaves too much oily residue

lacquer thinner, paint stripper, mineral spirits, and gasoline will work. all stuff that's found in almost everybody's garage

EDIT: forgot carb cleaner, starter fluid and goo gone/off, but that last one leaves too much oily residue

I have used carb cleaner in the past.

Acetone works great as well.

Not sure that I would use gasoline or paint stripper.

It really won't hurt it to just scrub it off with a paper towel and throw the new paste on. Seriously. Unless you've got a lapped CPU and waterblock going for that extra special 1*C less temp you're never going to notice if you cleaned it with alcohol or not.

I completely agree. I mean, alcohol and other solvents works great if you happen to have some laying around, but I've just wiped old paste off and applied new stuff plenty of times and never saw sub-par performance, nor destroyed any hardware, as a result.

A few drops of water on the paper towel helps as well if the paste is really old and crusty. Just scrub it until the paper towel stops turning silver, and then go over it once more with a fresh/dry paper towel and you're good to go.

Back