Need to cap my own speeds

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm moving into the apartment above where I work and will be tapping into their network for internet access. I don't want to sap the entire high-speed link, just set it to normal cable/dsl speeds. I'm using a smoothwall as my gateway. I need a way to limit my speeds on it. I tried using the QoS thing but it doesn't work with my kernel and I'm not really advanced enough to install the super kernel.

Anything simple I can do here? I don't want to limit certain traffic, I want ALL traffic limited. If I can get 2mb/1.5mb that'd be wonderful. I'd use netlimiter but my main machine doesn't run windows :(

Uhh...if they didn't tell you to limit your bandwith usage, then why are you worrying about it?

They have told me I need to limit my speed. It's up to me to figure out how. Besides, I wouldn't want to deal with all the customer calls because our web server and email server are inaccessible because BT is using our entire DS3.

Yoblad said:
They have told me I need to limit my speed. It's up to me to figure out how. Besides, I wouldn't want to deal with all the customer calls because our web server and email server are inaccessible because BT is using our entire DS3.

Hmmmm... twere me, I'd rather pay for my own ISP and do whatever I want with my bandwith then let my company give me free limited bandwith, but thats just me.

Not familiar with smoothwalls, so I can't help ya their but im sure you can set a limiter of some kind.

You can do things like this with the traffic shaper in m0n0wall, or with pf (or ipfw) on a BSD box.

The m0n0wall versions seems pretty easy:
* Add two pipes ("Upload" and "Download") with suitable bandwidth settings
* Add two rules:
** Interface=WAN, Protocol=Any, Direction=Out => Target="Upload"
** Interface=WAN, Protocol=Any, Direction=In => Target="Download"

Save, enable, and I don't offhand see any reasons for it not to work.

edit: Ok, I just tested it here: Setting the bandwidth for the download pipe to 512kbit/s slowed my test download down to roughly 64 kB/s, as expected.
I'll even add screnshots: Rules and pipes.

You could use CBQ but it might take some work to have it in smoothwall.
ClarkConnect is another option which does many of the features of smoothwall and there is an easily installable module for CBQ.
To filter on the client machine only you could use Netlimiter .
I am sure there are tons more ways to do this also.

m0n0wall looks really sweet. I will replace it with smoothwall and see how it goes. Thanks a ton. :)

Looks like you found a solution but just an additional note that my managed 24port switch can limit ports to certain speeds. I guess if I was in a pinch I could limit my uplink port to 3mb/s or something. Just a thought.

Yoblad said:
m0n0wall looks really sweet. I will replace it with smoothwall and see how it goes. Thanks a ton. :)
Don't bother trying to burn the install CD with their program. It's a pain in the ass and all it does is make coasters. Either boot off a CDROM or don't bother with it. :(

The simple way to install it is to get the disk image, plug the target disk into your system, and writing it in some suitable way.

(Ok, the simplicity depends on your hardware.)

Just wanted to thank you for recommending. m0n0wall. Got it up and running last night (been really busy) and thanks to your screenshots I was able to limit the connections appropriately. I really dig the way I can easily change speeds for any host on the network. It'll be kinda nice to bump it up to like 25mbit whenever I want hahaha

Back