Need to build 3 business machines

faxel

Weaksauce
How you guys doing. I was thought about buying a few cheap dells for a point of sale system, but realized i wasn't really thinking.

I'm need an opinion on what chipset to go with. I have used AMD for all my builds, but intel core 2 duo seem to be a pretty good now a days.

My requirements are

1. rock solid board that will need to run almost 24/7
2. need processor that i can swap out in the next few years just in case. (No P III's please.)
3. decent amount of pci slots
4. vga on board will be enough?

POS software doesn't require too much horsepower

Thinking asus or abit, since i have worked with them before but very open to suggestions.
Power supplies suggestion also welcome

Tricky in a way when it comes to business I would always use Epox but now they are goin away unfortunately. I'd pick up some cheap AM2 boards, so do AM2s plus upgrading them will be easy and not too $$. I'd go with a GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 for $75 if this is too much there are cheaper options. Theres a decent MSI one. For something you want to run 24-7 I wouldn't trust dell or hp refurbs or whatever.

I wouldnt go with an AM2 based board, when AMD is planning on phasing that out soon. If you need something that is gonna last awhile pick up something based on the intel 775. You can get really cheap g33 based boards and celeron 420s for less than $100 total, and that allows you to even go nuts one day and throw in a quad-core if you got the money to waste.

But I have a question, what kind of POS systems are you putting together that needs crazy processing power?

Back