Need to backup ZFS folder to tape

Krazypoloc

Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a ZFS system and some LTO4 tapes along with a single tape backup drive (not a changer). I need to know the easiest way to dump my ZFS folder/pool onto the tapes in series. I am aware of the tar to tape method, but I'm not sure if there is a way to split the tar into multiple tapes automatically, or how to do this the best way with a script.

Hey guys,

I have a ZFS system and some LTO4 tapes along with a single tape backup drive (not a changer). I need to know the easiest way to dump my ZFS folder/pool onto the tapes in series. I am aware of the tar to tape method, but I'm not sure if there is a way to split the tar into multiple tapes automatically, or how to do this the best way with a script.

Instead of dealing with tar, use a full featured backup app - amanda is scriptable, open source and has great support. It also can handle backup for more than a single machine. Do a search for amanda zfs and you will find lots of script solutions, or just check through the amanda site. www.amanda.org

Well I'm already using backuppc for about 70 machines, which is working great. All I need to do is dump the data to tape to take offsite, I don't need incrementals or anything..

Well I'm already using backuppc for about 70 machines, which is working great. All I need to do is dump the data to tape to take offsite, I don't need incrementals or anything..

In any case, you will still likely be better off with amanda than tar.

the 'M' switch will allow tar to span multiple tapes. Unless you need them, I always '--exclude=.zfs' to not backup snapshots.

Back