Need titles, post count, and subforums in old order

Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
3,222
if possible :heart:

Looks good so far guys, now all we need is some users to come back and get some threads that are less than a month old. :)
 

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
11,264
I don't see any need for postcount or titles. Thye don't really serve any purpose.

To see more threads adjust the "From the:" setting at the bottom of a sub forum view.
 

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
5,773
Yeah the order of the forums is pissing me off already. I just need to get used to it though. And come back when I get some damn sleep. So don't worry about it. I'll get used to it. I really appreciate what everyone has done to get the forums working in top shape. I hope now you can use that new server to its fullest potential.
 

dss64662

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 5, 2001
Messages
5,702
i'm amazed at how fast it is compared to the old [H] forums... if those things help reduce the size of the database and the server load, then its worth it.
 

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
52,251
The titles will be tweaked when we all decide on them.

Postcount is still there and you can see that in your profile should you want to view it. :) Order of forums will be tweaked some I am sure, but lets let them sink in for more than 10 minutes before we go making changes. :)
 

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
12,963
Nice Job guys,

I would also like to see the post count, it tells the user weather he or she is a n00b or not. Titles are cool too.

It's also great that you got the search function working, thats VERY nice, no more reposts. :)
 

dss64662

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 5, 2001
Messages
5,702
ooh... anti-spam message protection. must be at least 10 characters long, not including quotes and such formatting tools like bold, etc.
 

ewarz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
1,763
ComputerBox34 said:
I would also like to see the post count, it tells the user weather he or she is a n00b or not. Titles are cool too.

good work on the boards, they look good!


post count has absolutely no reflection on if someone is a noob or not. I like the post count off. maybe it will cause people to give EQUAL respect to each and every member.
 

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
5,773
ComputerBox34 said:
Nice Job guys,

I would also like to see the post count, it tells the user weather he or she is a n00b or not. Titles are cool too.
You know I think that does more harm than good. People just look at the post count and disregard the actual content of the post. Then they shout out n00b!!! read the faq or some bullshit. I like seeing postcounts too, but not so I can tell who is a n00b and who is not. If you hang around here enough you can tell who the good, frequent, loyal posters are and who the noobs are. All in all, postcounts are fun but somewhat useless.
 

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
11,264
ComputerBox34 said:
Nice Job guys,

I would also like to see the post count, it tells the user weather he or she is a n00b or not. Titles are cool too.

It's also great that you got the search function working, thats VERY nice, no more reposts. :)


having a low postcount doesn't mean you are a noob. :rolleyes:
 

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
11,264
jpmkm said:
You know I think that does more harm than good. People just look at the post count and disregard the actual content of the post. Then they shout out n00b!!! read the faq or some bullshit. I like seeing postcounts too, but not so I can tell who is a n00b and who is not. If you hang around here enough you can tell who the good, frequent, loyal posters are and who the noobs are. All in all, postcounts are fun but somewhat useless.


I agree wholeheartedly.
 
I

Ice Czar

Guest
ComputerBox34 said:
Nice Job guys,
It's also great that you got the search function working, thats VERY nice, no more reposts. :)

You sir, are an unmitigated optimist :p
 

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
12,963
I didn't mean that to be offensive to n00bs...

What I ment is that most title's that if someone is a new poster to the forums and the user asks an easy question, you know how to reply to them. Weather to explain it step by step or say things that an advaned computer user would know.


True, your post count doesn't tell if your a noob or not but sometimes people just join this forum just to post problems, not answers.
 

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
11,264
ComputerBox34 said:
I didn't mean that to be offensive to n00bs...

What I ment is that most title's that if someone is a new poster to the forums and the user asks an easy question, you know how to reply to them. Weather to explain it step by step or say things that an advaned computer user would know.


True, your post count doesn't tell if your a noob or not but sometimes people just join this forum just to post problems, not answers.


you can tell by what and how they ask the question. post count has no bearing IMO.

to counter, some one could have many years experience with PC's but have no idea how to set up a router. You just have to guage on a case by case basis.
 
I

Ice Czar

Guest
I was just jokin :p

as Kyle mentioned earlier, post counts are still here
but in the profile
I understand this way there is considerably less database overhead
 

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
5,773
ComputerBox34 said:
I didn't mean that to be offensive to n00bs...

What I ment is that most title's that if someone is a new poster to the forums and the user asks an easy question, you know how to reply to them. Weather to explain it step by step or say things that an advaned computer user would know.


True, your post count doesn't tell if your a noob or not but sometimes people just join this forum just to post problems, not answers.
I still don't like your logic there. People don't just register here when they start using computers and then automagically increase their postcount as their computer knowledge builds. I know that in the networking forum at least there are a lot of experts who sometimes ask questions, but may not necessarily have a large post count. Just answer the best you can and if it isn't good enough I'm sure someone will let you know. :D

btw: smileys at the right? weird.
 

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
12,963
Ice Czar said:
I was just jokin :p

as Kyle mentioned earlier, post counts are still here
but in the profile
I understand this way there is considerably less database overhead

Thanks Czar, that helps.
 

dss64662

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 5, 2001
Messages
5,702
just a question: does the old 10 line sig @ 800x600 rule still apply?
TekieB said:
I don't see a "[H]ard|Club ????
i don't see it, either; must've been a casualty of the database prunage. time to start the meet threads all over again... but where?
 

Kckazdude

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2002
Messages
1,749
ewarz said:
good work on the boards, they look good!


post count has absolutely no reflection on if someone is a noob or not. I like the post count off. maybe it will cause people to give EQUAL respect to each and every member.


Quoted for truth. I could care less if we could veiw the post counts anywhere. As for titles, mix them up and let everyone guess when they will get a new title.
 

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
11,264
Kckazdude said:
Quoted for truth. I could care less if we could veiw the post counts anywhere. As for titles, mix them up and let everyone guess when they will get a new title.


or let us just pick our own.
 

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
5,773
dss64662 said:
just a question: does the old 10 line sig @ 800x600 rule still apply?
I was wondering that myself. I assume it would since that seems like more of a readability issue than a backend forum issue.
 

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
12,963
jpmkm said:
I still don't like your logic there. People don't just register here when they start using computers and then automagically increase their postcount as their computer knowledge builds. I know that in the networking forum at least there are a lot of experts who sometimes ask questions, but may not necessarily have a large post count. Just answer the best you can and if it isn't good enough I'm sure someone will let you know. :D

btw: smileys at the right? weird.

Again, I'm not classifying people, just saying my opinion. I use the post count for my own personal use and that was the point I was trying to get through. But since it's in the profile, I don't have a problem with it. So, I would appriciate if this ended here. We can't get too off topic otherwise the thread will be closed.
 

Vertigo Acid

2(-log[H+])4u
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
12,416
A thought: Without post counts people may convert to using UID ala genmay to determine seniority.
 

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
5,773
Vertigo Acid said:
A thought: Without post counts people may convert to using UID ala genmay to determine seniority.
How does that work? Is that something that has to be enabled in the forum software or is that something the users do on their own?
 

ewarz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
1,763
Vertigo Acid said:
A thought: Without post counts people may convert to using UID ala genmay to determine seniority.
or you can just click on their name to see how many posts they have
 

Bruce

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 8, 2002
Messages
291
jpmkm said:
How does that work? Is that something that has to be enabled in the forum software or is that something the users do on their own?
:29k:


:p
 

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
5,773
Bruce said:
Well now that just increases my confusion. :confused:

edit: oh okay I see what the UID deal is all about. I can't imagine anyone here would go through the trouble of checking that, though. Even if they did then I hope it doesn't affect the way they post.
 

ewarz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
1,763
Vertigo Acid said:
or hover over the link to their name and see it in the status bar (UID that is)
wouldnt that be like looking at the "Join Date" under the users name?
 

telebofh

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
141
ewarz said:
good work on the boards, they look good!


post count has absolutely no reflection on if someone is a noob or not. I like the post count off. maybe it will cause people to give EQUAL respect to each and every member.


Agree with the first sentence. I have actually been registered here for a couple of years, but was mia for a little while and, well, as u can see, my post count isnt even 10...
 
Top