Need tablet!! Help!

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Thank you, lads.
Taco needs a tablet to take along when going out to do estimates. Taco can give the tablet to clients to look at job pictures while she does measurements or some other things around the house.

Secondary usage will probably be youtube watching. Need something comfortable in the hands, nothing too big. Maybe 10"? Prefer not to have appe ipad.

Will be connected to wifi when at home. Please advise?

Price nothing crazy, maybe 200 300 or less?

Last edited:
Might be able to pick up a Pixel Slate for $300 if you shop around (if you don't mind Chrome OS that runs Android Apps).

One last thing, since its ultra chinese tablet and has cameras nd stuff, do you think they might spy on me or listen in with some sort of software or hardware back secret passages? Taco knows this is tinfoil territory, but what needs to be asked, needs to be asked..

I'd say no. Merely being a Chinese company doesn't mean there are backdoors, even from major companies like Huawei and Lenovo (despite what the current US government claims).

Out of curiosity, why would you prefer to steer clear of the iPad? The base model is just outside of your price range (not including sales, of which there are some), but it's generally considered the gold standard for tablets in its class.

Last edited:

Quoted from the other thread. The random Chinese tablet seemingly has a Samsung panel and a qualcomm chipset for $229.

One last thing, since its ultra chinese tablet and has cameras nd stuff, do you think they might spy on me or listen in with some sort of software or hardware back secret passages? Taco knows this is tinfoil territory, but what needs to be asked, needs to be asked..

(Bollocks, I'll get flamed for this)😵

Do you trust the Chinese government? I don't. I don't know why anyone would. Many of these companies are just arms of the government machine over there. Don't get me wrong, I don't really appreciate my own government's actions or the way that companies in my country treat my data, etc., but its still worlds better than the Chinese government.

@aureliall my other gadgets are windows and android based. iPad being an apple, taco doesnt want to be limited in any way by using 'inferior' gadgets with ipad. And I just don't want an ipad, nt sure why, but it feels like everyone has ipad, taco doesn't want to..

kirbyrj Taco did also guess it might have samsung screen. I'm just little concerned with future software support from them, like updates nd stuff..it does look rather fascinating! Maybe if I decide I need a second tab, I cn snatch it off BG!

My quest to tab purchase is closing in to the end..

That's the rub with the Chinese tablets. You never know what kind of support you're going to get (usually not good). In the other thread, it looks like there is a TWRP for it already, but then you need someone to work on a custom ROM or something like Lineage OS. Honestly, the Lenovos aren't much better nowadays. You get maybe 1 update over the life of the device.

You'll definitely get the best long term OS support from an ipad, but I get it.

I should be seeing my shipment of the Alldocube X Neo arrive within a week or 2, so I'll provide my thoughts on it in the thread I created. Unfortunately, not much advice regarding it right now. 😣

UltraTaco congrats on ordering a good tablet. I hope it meets or exceeds expectations.

What apps does Taco use when going out to do Tacos work? Measurement? Are we using laser meter, with Bluetooth input or just manual input?
thanks
Henrik

sorry missed the last few posts - just saw you already bought a device, congratulations 🥳

my other gadgets are windows and android based. iPad being an apple, taco doesnt want to be limited in any way by using 'inferior' gadgets with ipad. And I just don't want an ipad, nt sure why, but it feels like everyone has ipad, taco doesn't want to..

The ecosystem bit I can understand, and of course if you just aren't inclined, that's alright. But the iPad is generally recognized as having better performance for the money, a much better tablet app ecosystem, years of extra OS updates... you get the idea.

The ecosystem bit I can understand, and of course if you just aren't inclined, that's alright. But the iPad is generally recognized as having better performance for the money, a much better tablet app ecosystem, years of extra OS updates... you get the idea.
All my computers and gadgets are Windows/Linux and Android. The lone Apple holdout is my iPad Pro. Bought the 11" with 256GB in 2018. Plan on using it until it dies. No better mobile device for reading e-books and streaming video, IMO.

I was planning on giving the tablet to customers to look at work while I measure and write on piece of paper. The tablet will be mostly a showcase gadget. I used to bring my laptop, but it's too bulky. Now o resort to my phone, but screen is too small amd I need calculator on it, so not very ideal to give it to clients.

Other usage scenario will be simply use youtube, but I often liked split view and browse while youtube plays, hence the uber like for more ram.:)

Funny story actually; when I went to order, she was gone! Bullocks!! Someone took the last bloody tablet from under taco! Bless their hearts! So I went to do more research according to this project work, because no way of pick it up for 280 when it was available at 199(other sellers still had em...). Then decided to check back again after a while...BLIMEY!! it is a good day after all!! 5 more in stock...then 3 after refresh, and by the time I was getting to check out, 2 left!! Going like biscuits!!😵

Thanks for sharing Taco,

what are you measuring, sorry I am curious now.

pre-Covid, I worked (Past-tense🤬) as sudo project manager for a catering company, doing Fitouts in new and current businesses Where the contract were up for extension. I was just about to go fully digital on my measuring using digital laser. So I was wondering if you were doing similar work ( measuring?
my goal was to bring a floor plan back to build 3D models “to play out the possibilities“ before an architect would roll in over, not always understanding catering needs for people safety and efficienc.

anyway just curious - very happy to hear you managed to secure the tablet at a decent price

Henrik

All my computers and gadgets are Windows/Linux and Android. The lone Apple holdout is my iPad Pro. Bought the 11" with 256GB in 2018. Plan on using it until it dies. No better mobile device for reading e-books and streaming video, IMO.

That's the thing, isn't it -- even if you're deep into non-Apple platforms, the iPad just makes more sense in the tablet space a lot of the time. To some degree, I'd say that's because Apple is the only company that seems to realize it needs to consistently show up to do well. Google and Microsoft are those college kids who skip half the classes and wonder why they fail the tests.

That's the thing, isn't it -- even if you're deep into non-Apple platforms, the iPad just makes more sense in the tablet space a lot of the time. To some degree, I'd say that's because Apple is the only company that seems to realize it needs to consistently show up to do well. Google and Microsoft are those college kids who skip half the classes and wonder why they fail the tests.
BOOM! I just saw this video over the weekend. It offers a pretty good explanation of the difference between platforms.

There's a good (if still odd) reason for that. The current iPad mini is seen as a performance model that gets a speedy chipset (the A12), lots of RAM, you get the idea. The 10.2-inch standard iPad is $329 before you throw in discounts -- it has a larger screen, but it's not as much of a powerhouse.

These are the best tablets according to the netizens, in 2020.
  • ASUS ZenPad 3S – 9.7 Inch 2K IPS Display.
  • Huawei + Harman Kardon MediaPad M3.
  • Lenovo ZA1N0007US Yoga Tab 3 Plus – 10.1 Inch Full QHD IPS Crystal Clear Display.
  • ASUS ZenPad 10 – Z300M.
  • Microsoft Surface 3 – 10.8 Inch Windows Tablet.
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A – 10.1 Inch Tablet.

I am a believer in the fact that people's choices can never be wrong.
All I would say is, Chose wisely.

These are the best tablets according to the netizens, in 2020.
  • ASUS ZenPad 3S – 9.7 Inch 2K IPS Display.
  • Huawei + Harman Kardon MediaPad M3.
  • Lenovo ZA1N0007US Yoga Tab 3 Plus – 10.1 Inch Full QHD IPS Crystal Clear Display.
  • ASUS ZenPad 10 – Z300M.
  • Microsoft Surface 3 – 10.8 Inch Windows Tablet.
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A – 10.1 Inch Tablet.

I am a believer in the fact that people's choices can never be wrong.
All I would say is, Chose wisely.

These tablets are 3-5 years old, not from 2020 whatsoever and I can't find any site named "Netizen".

I suspected this to be a spam post to reach the post threshold to use FS/FT, but your other posts all within 3-4 mins of each other from this seem vaguely relevant to the thread they're in at least.

BOOM! I just saw this video over the weekend. It offers a pretty good explanation of the difference between platforms.

What a load. There's just so much wrong in that video. Could have been a thousand times better.

I mean there's a point with regards to Android. But so, so, so much of the rest of the video is just garbage.

iPad is pretty much the only option as far as tablets go right now. They’re relatively cheap as well, save for the Pro. And you can get a cheaper one on Swappa.com used if the price bugs you, or the Apple refurbished store. For phones these days, Android and iPhone are both great, depending on your preference, but for tablets, Androids are steaming piles compared to the iPad in price-to-performance, support, and longevity ... I can’t recommend anything else.

I would never recommend some random Chinese garbage over the iPad, regardless of the price.

iPad is pretty much the only option as far as tablets go right now. They’re relatively cheap as well, save for the Pro. And you can get a cheaper one on Swappa.com used if the price bugs you, or the Apple refurbished store. For phones these days, Android and iPhone are both great, depending on your preference, but for tablets, Androids are steaming piles compared to the iPad in price-to-performance, support, and longevity ... I can’t recommend anything else.

I would never recommend some random Chinese garbage over the iPad, regardless of the price.

This. I don't like Apple but nothing compares to an iPad, period. I was going to suggest an officially refurbished iPad 6th Gen for $250.

The overall experience is just plain better.

Back