Need Suggestions on Subwoofer

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
I have the Samsung HT-AS730ST for about 4 years.

The Subwoofer has been not working well for a month and I want to replace it.

The quote below is from the crutchfield review of the unit specs.

Powered Subwoofer: The HT-AS730S system is equipped with a powered subwoofer, which features a front-firing 7.5" cone woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure with a down-firing port. The 7.5" cone woofer is powered by a built-in 150-watt (Peak) amplifier. The powered subwoofer has a rear-mounted mono-RCA input for use with the supplied RCA sub-cable; as well as rear-mounted volume and power controls. The powered subwoofer's low-pass crossover setting is controlled by the AV receiver. You can select 650, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 200Hz. The powered subwoofer features rubber feet so it can sit horizontally and securely on your floor.

Any Suggestions or Recommendations from the community on a good replacement unit that has a mono-RCA input

I highly recommend Power Sound Audio. Check out their lower end models - very affordable, bad ass little subs!

I don't see any frequency response info for that system's components, but often in those sub/sat combination systems the sub is more of a woofer than it is a sub. If you replace the woofer with a sub you might be missing out on quite a range of frequencies.

"The front and rear speakers use a 3" tweeter and 2.5" woofer in an acoustic suspension enclosure.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-k1n52eHlkW6/p_305HTAS730/Samsung-HT-AS730ST.html

You might be better off replacing the front speakers, with a pair with more "guts", in addition to getting another sub.

Budget: Outlaw M8.

More expensive: SVS PB-1000 or SB-1000.

All of the above can handle being crossed over 'higher' than normal, as well, should such be required.

If money is tight go with the Dayton sub that SithSolo linked to. It's a 10'' 100 watt sub so it won't reach down and get the real lows, but if you are using it primarily for music listening and gaming in a home office type environment it should suffice. If you have bigger needs look at SVS, Outlaw, and Hsu's offerings as they all make Internet Direct subs with prices starting around $300.

Big vote for SVS SB-1000. I've got dual SB-2000s on my main HT setup and they're amazing.
Hoping to get an SB-1000 for my nearfield PC listening to replace this crap vented 10" Velodyne thing I bought.

Svs is great and all, look at the rest of his system though.

If money is tight go with the Dayton sub that SithSolo linked to. It's a 10'' 100 watt sub so it won't reach down and get the real lows, but if you are using it primarily for music listening and gaming in a home office type environment it should suffice. If you have bigger needs look at SVS, Outlaw, and Hsu's offerings as they all make Internet Direct subs with prices starting around $300.

I also agree with this. The Dayton sub is very good for the price and more than enough for those low-end speakers. If you want to buy a better sub than the SUB-100, you should probably also upgrade speakers (at least the fronts). I wouldn't combine some huge 15" sub with speakers with a 3" woofer/midrange/whatever. You'd very likely either have a big dip in the midbass or voice coming out of the subwoofer which sounds terrible.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys!.

Good to have friends who can give me so many options and keep me from buying garbage.

I am going to look over all these options this weekend and make a decision.

Ahh, the HTIB (home theater in a box). I remember my first one. My advice, don't get a replacement sub until you have your front channels and ideally your center channel replaced with at least a 5-6" woofer, either towers or bookshelves if you're space limited. They'd probably make more of a difference for sound than a replacement sub. I ran my receiver with only center and front towers for most of a year due to budget issues.

Polk isn't the best but it's often on sale. I don't spend enough time in front of my tv to warrant spending more.

This thread came up just in time for me. I'm in need of a new sub too. Had an Onkyo receiver and their 8" sub. And its served me well, but its old as hell. Like 7 or 8 years now. The sub never sounded good at volume, distortion, what not.

So I decided to get a new receiver and sub. I already have some floor standing Klipsch speakers for the two fronts. And (the full 7.1 speaker setup).

So with these suggestions, I've decided to get the Dayton 1200 12" sub.

And for the new receiver. The Denon AVRS700W-R. Found a factory refurbished available on Amazon for $299. The brand new units go for $450.
Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSBZZ8I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Should be a substantial upgrade right?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got the Dayton 12 with the wireless, for the price it's great. Stuck in my living room where I really don't need much else.

I think it would be important to know the dimensions of the room in question to make good recommendations.

This thread came up just in time for me. I'm in need of a new sub too. Had an Onkyo receiver and their 8" sub. And its served me well, but its old as hell. Like 7 or 8 years now. The sub never sounded good at volume, distortion, what not.

So I decided to get a new receiver and sub. I already have some floor standing Klipsch speakers for the two fronts. And (the full 7.1 speaker setup).

So with these suggestions, I've decided to get the Dayton 1200 12" sub.

And for the new receiver. The Denon AVRS700W-R. Found a factory refurbished available on Amazon for $299. The brand new units go for $450.
Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSBZZ8I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Should be a substantial upgrade right?

Good choice. I like that it has Audyssey Bronze.

I'll second the Dayton 12" for a nice budget subwoofer.

I'll second the SVS SB-1000 if you want to spend more $$. I just got one for my PC audio system.

I've got an SVS PC12 cylinder sub collecting dust after I got rid of my HT system when I moved, last year. Never should have bought it. :p

For Denon receivers it's probably best to get a refurb from Accessories4Less. I bought my current Denon receiver from them (got the previous one from Amazon on sale though). AVSForum also likes A4L a lot.

If the Amazon link is a particularly good deal (sorry didn't look into it) then go for it, though. But A4L is usually better.

For Amazon you can check price history with "The Tracktor," "The Camelizer" (which uses CamelCamelCamel) or "PriceBlink" browser extensions. None of those work on A4L, but A4L prices don't vary much.

If you're looking to spend a bit more, check out Hsu Research. I have a VTF-3 Mk3. It's a 12" sub and puts out mind blowing volumes of clean tight bass, although it's been phased out now. It's quite a large enclosure though. They have a VTF-1 and 2 that are a bit smaller and an STF-2 that's smaller yet.

I've been extremely happy with mine. Had it about 4-5 years. Wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a 15" Hsu. :p

I highly recommend Power Sound Audio. Check out their lower end models - very affordable, bad ass little subs!

More people need to know about this brand. I have an XS30 and it is amazing. Now they even have updated versions of it that probably sound even better.

When I was looking, the BIC F12 was commonly recommended.

I would have gotten it, but got a really good deal on a dual-powered Velodyne

Back