Need suggestions on new Gaming Mouse

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hi to all, I'm trying to get suggestions for a gaming mouse that will replace my Logitech G5. Evidently the left click - fire/shoot - button can't take the hours of Fallout 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 that I play and has now started skipping about every 3rd click. As gamers know, this will get you killed quickly.

Plus it's annoying to have to click on anything on your screen, like four times, before it registers a click.

Having said that I'm looking for a tough mouse - with Palm Grip only style - that can handle a lot of abuse but will also be good for gaming purposes.

Any ideas? Thanks, Prozac :)

Logitech mice have always been very durable for me. If you really like your G5, give them a call and tell them you're having a problem with it. They'll likely replace it.

If you're looking to move to something different, I would suggest the G500 or the tried-and-true MX 518. I like the DeathAdder and Ikari Laser but certain aspects of their build quality doesn't seem to stand up to Logitech's. There's also the Roccat Kone, Microsoft SideWinder, and the Coolermaster gaming mice...I dunno, I'm partial to Logitech though. If you like your G5 the G500 is similar in shape and is a nice upgrade in terms of features.

Call Logitech - they sent me a replacement free of charge for my defective G5. Ended up being a G5v2! Didn't even have to send the defective one back in to them.

I like the Microsoft Sidewinder. Its a pretty good sized mouse with good performance.

Call Logitech - they sent me a replacement free of charge for my defective G5. Ended up being a G5v2! Didn't even have to send the defective one back in to them.

I'm not surprised. They sent me a G500 when I called about a problem with my G5v2. :D Pretty schweet.

Logitech really stands behind their products, at least as far as keyboards and mice are concerned.

That said, if you're looking for a new mouse and are willing to try something different...
http://warmouse.com/blog/

Look there for the latest PROTOTYPES of the WarMouse "Meta". The final version will be MUCH better looking, but it is a work in progress. This is really the first great leap forward I've seen in mousing for quite awhile! The software will be open source as well, and if you pre order (they ship in April) you can get it for 20% off! This is what evolved from the famous "OpenOffice mouse", except now it has a Logitech/Razer latest-gen level laser, a better joystick, nicer color scheme and more. T They're continually improving the design through the prototyping phase.

Logitech really stands behind their products, at least as far as keyboards and mice are concerned.

That said, if you're looking for a new mouse and are willing to try something different...
http://warmouse.com/blog/

Look there for the latest PROTOTYPES of the WarMouse "Meta". The final version will be MUCH better looking, but it is a work in progress. This is really the first great leap forward I've seen in mousing for quite awhile! The software will be open source as well, and if you pre order (they ship in April) you can get it for 20% off! This is what evolved from the famous "OpenOffice mouse", except now it has a Logitech/Razer latest-gen level laser, a better joystick, nicer color scheme and more. T They're continually improving the design through the prototyping phase.

Seems very impractical.

Logitech mice have always been very durable for me. If you really like your G5, give them a call and tell them you're having a problem with it. They'll likely replace it.

If you're looking to move to something different, I would suggest the G500 or the tried-and-true MX 518. I like the DeathAdder and Ikari Laser but certain aspects of their build quality doesn't seem to stand up to Logitech's. There's also the Roccat Kone, Microsoft SideWinder, and the Coolermaster gaming mice...I dunno, I'm partial to Logitech though. If you like your G5 the G500 is similar in shape and is a nice upgrade in terms of features.

+1 for the mx518. I had the pleasure of using it for a while, but had to give it back to it's owner. I'm using an mx500, and it's reliable. My only gripe is that I can't flick the wheel to super-scroll through long documents and web pages, like is possible with the newer logitech mice (namely the g500 and m500).

Oh, and the g500 you may be interested in. I had the pleasure of touching one at a Best Buy, and it was quite similar to the mx500 series.

I would have to throw my 2 cents in on the G500 bandwagon. I went from MX518 to G500 and both are amazing mice for my palm style. The G9 was pure claw style and I never got used to it. If you like the G5 and are not too discouraged by the failure of your right click, I would stick with Logitech.

I actually loved both of my G5s. One I lost by divorce....LOL.....my current one just started working poorly. Logitech is my preference hand's down. I'd take a replacement G5 or a G500. I'm calling Logitech today to see if they will replace it.

Any tips on my phone call to them?

I have an Ikari Laser. It's a nice mouse. It's probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Note: I'm right handed and have small hands. Tracking is very good. Software has to be used in compatible mode in Windows 7 to program the mouse. No drivers needed.

SteelSeries is not in the U.S. and they're very expensive products. After my pricey keyboard 'enter' key started flaking out, I checked the warranty. Only 1 year; I figured it would have a lifetime warranty for price. Just so you know - it was free for me but still... :) I can imagine RMAing something from the states would not be fun or cheap (if you're within time limit).

Anyway... I'd rate the mouse as exceptional.

I actually loved both of my G5s. One I lost by divorce....LOL.....my current one just started working poorly. Logitech is my preference hand's down. I'd take a replacement G5 or a G500. I'm calling Logitech today to see if they will replace it.

never should have married a gamer...

:p

I like the original ms intellamouse explorer
I know but its BIG and works fine. I also have a logitec 700 which I like and its BIG but its cordless and even though its rechargeable it always dies at the wrong times.

what is the warranty period on Logitech mice?

heck I would call and be nice and see what they will do

The verdict is in...................LOGITECH is sending me a brand new G500 to replace my G5. I'm very happy with Logitech!!!!!! I just called up customer support and they were very nice, like they didn't think twice. I've been a loyal customer and NOW I will stay one for sure.

Schweeet! :):):):):):):):):):):)

wow, how long ago did you buy it? The battery on my mx1000 is just about done with, wondering if they'd work something out with me.

This is a CM Sentinel Advance. I have one and cannot recommend it enough. It's on par with the stuff Roccat makes - above and beyond top-of-the-line. It's available in the states for about $50 too, which is far cheaper than some Razer products, and IMHO you get a WAY better mouse.

cm_sentinel_1.jpg

Åndhrimnir;1035350939 said:
This is a CM Sentinel Advance. I have one and cannot recommend it enough. It's on par with the stuff Roccat makes - above and beyond top-of-the-line. It's available in the states for about $50 too, which is far cheaper than some Razer products, and IMHO you get a WAY better mouse.

cm_sentinel_1.jpg

I could not disagree more. This mouse currently holds my personal record for fastest time from unboxing to reboxing and shipping back to Amazon for a refund. First of all, the Philips twineye sensor blows ass as far as Z-axis tracking. It also doesn't track for a fraction of a second after liftoff and set down, which is absolutely gamebreaking. Furthermore it also didn't sit evenly on a flat, smooth surface due to very poorly made mouse feet. The mouse actually rocked left and right and towards the front whenever I clicked a mouse button.

A few days later I acquired a Steelseries Xai which fortunately I can say is one of the best mice I have ever used.

I absolutely love my SteelSeries Ikari laser although my old MX518 never let me down either.

I just replaced my dying MX Revolution with a G9X. Love the customization and precision so far! Though I suppose my opinion is a bit skewed coming from a wireless mouse. I thought the wire would bother me, but it's braided and I gotta say I barely notice it.

I've been using the Razer Deathadder for ages, and never had any problems with it - it is an awesome gaming mouse. If you want wireless, the same body exists in a wireless model called the Razer Mamba. I'd recommend either of these anyday.

I purchased a MS Sidewinder last year and have been happy with it. It's larger size works for me (I've got big mitts), although I seem to have to constantly pull hair out of its sensor area, but that's more of an issue with my dog than the mouse.

The switches in a mouse (where you click) are only rated for so many clicks. They're not designed for a lifetime of clicking. I've worn out a mouse's left click button about every 2 or so years using logitech mice (mx300, mx310, g3). Doesn't your G5 have a warranty?

i vote for the razers to.thumb buttons are where they need to be,at your thumb.

Back