Need suggestions for video editing

IIvII

Weaksauce
Hey folks, Right now I'm using this motherboard with this ram installed. I'm considering throwing a few extra bones at my rig and would like some input as to what I should do as far as upgrading the ram. I think the mobo tops out at 24gb of ram so I was considering buying a 12GB kit (4GBx3). If I did so would that play well with my current kit installed, 6GB kit (2GBx3)? Anything you guys can refer me to or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for the insight!

IIvII,

I strongly recommend completely replacing your 6GB kit at this time: There is absolutely no guarantee at all whatsoever that any current RAM kit will even work together with your current kit. You see, your current kit is double-ranked, with a density of 1GB per rank - but 4GB modules have either 2GB or 4GB per rank. That would require completely different ICs altogether, which might not play well at all with the ICs in your current kit. And even if you can find another 3 x 2GB kit, the newer 2GB modules will almost always be single-ranked. In addition, the ICs as used in your current kit are likely to have been discontinued altogether, either due to the manufacturers' migrating to higher bit density in their IC production or (in a few cases) the former IC manufacturers have ceased operations entirely.

And now, 4GB modules are also now becoming single-ranked as well - but the LGA 1366 i7 IMC cannot address more than 2GB per rank (which means that only those 4GB modules that are double-ranked are supported at all; single-ranked unbuffered non-ECC 4GB modules cannot be used on any LGA 1366 platform). This means that some of the most recent 3 x 4GB kits might not work at all on your system.

Back