Need suggestions for a new shuttle. preferably AMD64

recently my old PC died so im thinking about getting a shuttle since i somewhat go to a lot of lan parties. the only 2 cards i use are the 6800gt and a tv tuner card. which of the shuttle pcs would be good?

Well if you want to go with an AMD 64 CPU then the choice for now is the SN85G4 which is shuttle's 64 bit sff PC. Both of those cards will easily fit in since the 6800 GT is a one card solution. However I would recomend purchasing the stylish case cover to help with air intake so that the PC doesn't overheat. In the quakecon BYOC I was experience heat issues with my 64 bit shuttle. The only thing that was happening when my shuttle overheated was my network would act up and connect/disconnect stating that the plug had been taken out and then plugged back in. I also have a 250 gig SATA drive with some DC++ going on when the heatting issue occured. I'm probally gunna mod the case and put some more fans in to help keep the temp down.

Hey Nolaff, I had the same problem with my SN85G4 and is heat related. When the PSU is getting hot under load, the PSU cannot keep up causing the network card to drop. At home my router LED's would go crazy and I couldn't even browse the web. Shutting the box down for a few minutes and then powering back on seemed to fix it for awhile. Someone suggested that you try to take the NIC settings from auto negotiation to 100Mps half duplex and that setting it to auto and the router is also auto was causing a sync issue but I wasn't able to try this suggestion.

-E

Back