Need Suggestions for a new Audio Receiver for my Surround Sound

Ok right now I have a 770W 7.1 Pioneer Receiver with kickass JBL speakers. The channels keep cutting out here and there during games. I brought it in to get repaired, apparently it was the solders in the back where the wires connect in. This issue is occurring again. I figured I should probably get a new receiver and I don't know what to get. I put a lot of money out for the JBL speakers so I def want to keep it at 7.1. I don't know that much about home audio... what should I look for? Is wattage a big thing? What brands are good? Does Pioneer have this problem over all their receivers? I want something with high quality around the $300-$700 range.

Very similar to the one I have now (Pioneer VSX-816). How long have you had it? Any solder problems?

Very similar to the one I have now (Pioneer VSX-816). How long have you had it? Any solder problems?

I think there was a bad lot of relays used by pioneer at some point. I came across an 816 once that would work intermittently on different channels (only 1 channel worked 100% of the time), I replaced the four speaker relays and that fixed it. Unless you've been switching wires a lot since it was first repaired, I doubt the solder joints have fractured again (in all likelihood there's much more solder on them now).

So getting a new one would be a good idea? I mean I know the speakers aren't bad and it's the same symptoms as the joints going bad again. I think the "authorized" repair place just did a shitty job.

So getting a new one would be a good idea? I mean I know the speakers aren't bad and it's the same symptoms as the joints going bad again. I think the "authorized" repair place just did a shitty job.

Depends on how hard you're looking for an excuse to get a new one :p I think you should take it somewhere and tell them to replace the 4 relays (they cost about $2 - $4/ea, depending on brand); it's really hard to botch re-soldering the binding post pins, not exactly a job requiring a huge degree of precision. Of course, you can determine whether the solder joints are bad by wiggling the binding posts when a channel starts acting up - my bet is still on the relays.

Its worth getting it fixed even if it is just to sell it or move it to a second room as a backup/secondary system. As for a replacement, you could try calling 6ave.com and seeing what type of deal they could get you on a pioneer sc-25 or look into some denon/onkyo receivers.

i notice my ollld pioneer now clicks off some relay right when its turned on. i hear the normal relay 'click', then quickly one of the relays clicks off. system still works fine though, must be the B channel or something, i dont know how it works tbh.

with you price range I'd get a used Denon AVR-2809/3808 (Audiogon.com). They're both great receivers and will provide you with plenty of power. If not, they have pre-amp hookups to add in a separate am if needed. In addition the Auddssey package they have is great for auto-configuring the best sound possible for your space (IMO). For reference I own the Denon AVR-1909 and I absolutely love it (wish I went the route I'm suggesting :-p).

Back