Need suggestion on 30" monitor that produces less heat than 3008WFP

damnboy

n00b
Hello monitor guru,

Can you suggest a 30-inch monitor that produce less heat?

I have two Dell 3008WFP in my study and with them both on, my room temperature raises about 6 Fahrenheit. It's way too warm for me. Also when I touch the metal part of the 3008WFP frame and it's very hot! Is this normal? I have a 22 inch Dell with plastic frame that produces almost no heat. So I'm here asking for help.

Thanks in advance.

That just seems to be the nature of larger displays unfortunately. Mine is 27 inches and is LED backlit, so in theory it should produce less heat than the typical 30 inch display. However, it is noticeably hotter than the 21.5 inch display that I used previously. I don't know how hot it is in comparison to a 30 inch display, but from my experience my guess is that even the least power hungry ones will produce a lot of heat compared to smaller displays. So yes, it is very normal. My bedroom does become a sauna if I leave my door closed while my monitor is on, but as long as I keep the AC running with my door open, it is more than bearable.

Regardless of how hot the case is to the touch, the real factor is power consumption.

Pretty much every watt used by a computer monitor in an enclosed room, will turn into heat.

Check this graph: The 30 " models are all over 100 watts. With two U3008 monitors, you have equivalant of 200 Watt space heater.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2713hm.htm#power

Even the 27" models are pretty high, but note the difference between CCFL/LED:
CCFL: > 80 watts
LED: < 40 watts.

So if you want a new 30", wait for an LED monitor which may cut your heat production in half.

Or maybe go with only one LED 30" (when available) and a smaller secondary.

Also what kind of room lighting do you have? Can you go CCFL or LED for that as well?

Basically just about every watt of power used in that room is going to convert to heat, any area you can cut power, will reduce heat.

This is exactly why I can't f**king wait for large(er) high resolution OLED computer monitors to come to market. I run PLP with a 30" LCD in the middle AND a 47" LCD TV on the side and my room heats up so fast it's not funny. I have to keep my AC on all summer when my computer is on (which it's almost always left on) just to counteract the heat.

If my AC is turned off for an hour, my room will heat up 8-12 degrees in that short time. Ridiculous!

Picture for fun...

I don't know much about OLED power consumption/heat output but I'm really hoping it is the answer to my problems...lol

U2713 is LED backlit which is more efficient.

Also I think the backlight control on the U3011 is limited in how low it can go.

Also 16:9 27" is much smaller than 16:10 30" than the numbers first suggest:

It is like 400 square inches to 300 square inches.

So part LED vs CCFL, part backlight control, and part size.

Back