Need strategies for getting a Wii U

NEVER, EVER skimp on a router. running netgear WNDR3700

I had that router for over a year but recently replaced it with an Asus RT-N66U router and its honestly faster in every way, I have four wireless connections in my house and four wired and the Asus is just faster. Something to think about if you ever get the itch to upgrade.

So my wife bought me a Wii U Deluxe today for a Christmas gift. Apparently she pre-ordered it and I didn't know it. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet even though she's allowing me if I want to. I'm still on the fence about selling it or opening it when the luanch games don't look that impressive.

So my wife bought me a Wii U Deluxe today for a Christmas gift. Apparently she pre-ordered it and I didn't know it. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet even though she's allowing me if I want to. I'm still on the fence about selling it or opening it when the luanch games don't look that impressive.

IMO, just open it up and use it man. Mario is great, the controller is great, and ZombieU looks quite impressive. I'll be opening that up tomorrow and having a run through. I'm just overall very impressed with the console. I'm eagerly waiting for Pikmin 3 as well. :)

you would sell your wifes christmas gift? thats kind of douchey bro ahhah.

IMO, just open it up and use it man. Mario is great, the controller is great, and ZombieU looks quite impressive. I'll be opening that up tomorrow and having a run through. I'm just overall very impressed with the console. I'm eagerly waiting for Pikmin 3 as well. :)

pikmin 3 is gonna be siiiick

open it and play it. the margin isn't amazing on ebay. i have 2 coming this week and i was going to sell both but my wife is actually excited so i will keep one and sell one (most likely wait a week before xmas and hope they still out of stock).

i am running custom firmware/mod on my router. but yeah, i will be upgrading it as soon as i finish running all my wires throughout the house.

At this point , the news and reports don't look good. I would sell it for a profit if you can and buy it later on when the games are actually "good".

Darksiders 2 was exactly the same looking as the 360 version but far inferior to the PC version in visuals (which was exactly what Nintendo DIDNT promise).

Also the friend system for the Wii-U online has been built by retards it seems , its very frustrating and horribly over complicated to add friends to your online profile.

I think the Wii-U needs another 6-8 months of updates (firmware) and titles to release that are actually worthy "system" buying titles.

you would sell your wifes christmas gift? thats kind of douchey bro ahhah.

pikmin 3 is gonna be siiiick

You don't think I would sell it without her knowing about it do you? Of course she knows I have considered it. She gave it to me yesterday and we talked about selling it due to the fact that the games are lacking at the moment. She didn't have a problem with it, its just an option. I'm just glad she got the deluxe because if she had bought the standard model I would have certainly sold it but I wouldn't have told her I sold it for that reason because, THAT would have been a dick move.

open it and play it. the margin isn't amazing on ebay. i have 2 coming this week and i was going to sell both but my wife is actually excited so i will keep one and sell one (most likely wait a week before xmas and hope they still out of stock).

i am running custom firmware/mod on my router. but yeah, i will be upgrading it as soon as i finish running all my wires throughout the house.

Yea, it looks average going price is $450-500, its not a lot of profit on one machine. Its not really that though, its whether I should keep the Wii U now knowing there just isn't much to play on it and pick up one next year when the content is better.

At this point , the news and reports don't look good. I would sell it for a profit if you can and buy it later on when the games are actually "good".

Darksiders 2 was exactly the same looking as the 360 version but far inferior to the PC version in visuals (which was exactly what Nintendo DIDNT promise).

Also the friend system for the Wii-U online has been built by retards it seems , its very frustrating and horribly over complicated to add friends to your online profile.

I think the Wii-U needs another 6-8 months of updates (firmware) and titles to release that are actually worthy "system" buying titles.

I read quite a bit last night that seems to confirm this. It looks like it was rushed to the market, Nintendo doesn't have enough software ready at the moment.

I read quite a bit last night that seems to confirm this. It looks like it was rushed to the market, Nintendo doesn't have enough software ready at the moment.

Does anyone ever at launch? :rolleyes:

i am not quite sure what you guys have been reading, but everything i have read said there is immense potential and people have really enjoyed their unit. you have to keep in mind that this is a brand new OS and everyone is comparing it OSs that have been out 5+ years. there will be quirks and updates will come out as time goes on to make experience better. i have 2 other local friends that had one at midnight, guys who are extremely critical, own all 3 other platforms and gaming pcs, have overall been impressed with the controller and system. but the 3 of us are developers and we understand a new OS and are excited for what is to come. technically, NO launch (of new system or handheld) in last 10 years has warranted a purchase day one (what Azureth said above).

i think they have a great lineup and for someone like me who held off on AC3 because of all the other amazing games that have come out in last 6 weeks, the wii u is the platform i will play that on (i have ps3, 360, wii, and gaming pc). and despite what i read about zombi u i will buy it. i love survival horror games! new mario is a no brainer and nintendoland seems like great group fun.

i am not quite sure what you guys have been reading, but everything i have read said there is immense potential and people have really enjoyed their unit. you have to keep in mind that this is a brand new OS and everyone is comparing it OSs that have been out 5+ years. there will be quirks and updates will come out as time goes on to make experience better. i have 2 other local friends that had one at midnight, guys who are extremely critical, own all 3 other platforms and gaming pcs, have overall been impressed with the controller and system. but the 3 of us are developers and we understand a new OS and are excited for what is to come. technically, NO launch (of new system or handheld) in last 10 years has warranted a purchase day one (what Azureth said above).

i think they have a great lineup and for someone like me who held off on AC3 because of all the other amazing games that have come out in last 6 weeks, the wii u is the platform i will play that on (i have ps3, 360, wii, and gaming pc). and despite what i read about zombi u i will buy it. i love survival horror games! new mario is a no brainer and nintendoland seems like great group fun.

Are these the same people that were blown away with the Wii at launch only to realize in 3 months that the novelty had worn off? I will own a Wii U at some point whether I keep this one or buy one later, just because its a replacement for the Wii which I can finally sell off. I don't play the Wii very much in comparison to my 360, and even less than my PS3 which only gets about 1/3 the play time as the 360. I blame some of it on the Wii only having 480p graphics for sure, I play on a 67" TV and 480p looks rather poor at that size so the Wii U will be an improvement there, although it can't do anything for older games, still stuck at 480p, My receiver upscales it to 1080p but that's really not noticeably improved over 480p. My fear is that early Wii U favoritism is simply in love with the novelty of the touch screen controller and not actually being objective about the entire system and the launch line-up which is pretty weak. It seems there are many negative and/or objective reviews out there pointing out the flaws thus far, some will be corrected in time, but there no reason why the system should have been launched with broken features to be fixed or added later.

I just don't understand why people buy something at launch and are all "omgz no games!!11!!"

Uhh...That has almost always been the case, with rare exceptions such as the Dreamcast launch.

Are these the same people that were blown away with the Wii at launch only to realize in 3 months that the novelty had worn off? I will own a Wii U at some point whether I keep this one or buy one later, just because its a replacement for the Wii which I can finally sell off. I don't play the Wii very much in comparison to my 360, and even less than my PS3 which only gets about 1/3 the play time as the 360. I blame some of it on the Wii only having 480p graphics for sure, I play on a 67" TV and 480p looks rather poor at that size so the Wii U will be an improvement there, although it can't do anything for older games, still stuck at 480p, My receiver upscales it to 1080p but that's really not noticeably improved over 480p. My fear is that early Wii U favoritism is simply in love with the novelty of the touch screen controller and not actually being objective about the entire system and the launch line-up which is pretty weak. It seems there are many negative and/or objective reviews out there pointing out the flaws thus far, some will be corrected in time, but there no reason why the system should have been launched with broken features to be fixed or added later.

nope, they have black Wiis so that should give you a timeline.

"but there no reason why the system should have been launched with broken features to be fixed or added later" name one console that didn't have this at launch. and trust me the next ps3 and 360 will fit this criteria. don't get me wrong, i am not a fanboy and love all forms of technology (i have android phone, macbook pro, ipad, windows desktop, unix servers) and i try to choose the best that fits me and my scenario ... i just think people have been harsh. AND i am extremely excited for what the hacking community does with this thing. i want to control my house thermostat with my wii u touchpad :)

Meh keep it imo Blkout. Just enjoy the games for what they are right now, very fun that is. It'll of course get better, and at that point, it'll be even more worth it. If you were getting like $800 for it? Yeah, sure do it, you'd be a sucker not to, but for a measly $100 profit? Fuck that, enjoy some games for a couple of months heh.

Also anyone feel free to add my mii. Is it by email or by username? I don't remember...rofl. I've got ZombieU so if anyone wants to do that pseudo-online thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm down.

Toys R Us near me had a bunch of the Basic consoles for sale. Bought one just because. I like it, but the wireless chip on it is pretty bad. Took forever to download an update.

Toys R Us near me had a bunch of the Basic consoles for sale. Bought one just because. I like it, but the wireless chip on it is pretty bad. Took forever to download an update.

Been seeing this all over, but I did the same, got a white one from Toys R Us and finished that "massive", as they call it, update, in about 30 minutes, thought it felt like much less.

:confused:

Meh keep it imo Blkout. Just enjoy the games for what they are right now, very fun that is. It'll of course get better, and at that point, it'll be even more worth it. If you were getting like $800 for it? Yeah, sure do it, you'd be a sucker not to, but for a measly $100 profit? Fuck that, enjoy some games for a couple of months heh.

Also anyone feel free to add my mii. Is it by email or by username? I don't remember...rofl. I've got ZombieU so if anyone wants to do that pseudo-online thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm down.

What have you been playing right now on yours and what do you think, honestly, of the games you have? I know that my bundle comes with Nintendoland, I guess the new Super Mario Bros U is a worthy buy but I feel a bit cheated that I bought it for the Wii and now I have to buy it again for the Wii U to get 1080p, especially at $60.

I've been trying to scour the net for game reviews and there aren't many games reviewed right now, maybe due to unavailability I guess.

What have you been playing right now on yours and what do you think, honestly, of the games you have? I know that my bundle comes with Nintendoland, I guess the new Super Mario Bros U is a worthy buy but I feel a bit cheated that I bought it for the Wii and now I have to buy it again for the Wii U to get 1080p, especially at $60.

I've been trying to scour the net for game reviews and there aren't many games reviewed right now, maybe due to unavailability I guess.

Honestly? In my own opinion, it's worth it. But different situations come into play of course. The only games I'll be playing in the next month are Hitman and AC3 on the PC, and a PS Vita game. I'll be done with those rather quick since I've been anticipating them for a while (minus Persona 4, not going to be done with that for a while). I wanted something new and refreshing, so I got the Wii U. I admit, I was skeptical when I started reading about it, but once you hold that tablet controller in your hand, it just feels "good". Hard to describe. I bought my games at Toys R Us and if you buy one, you get another 40% off, so that was really nice.

I've been playing Mario with 2 other people, actually played 4 hours yesterday and we barely dented it (we suck ass haha), and the hours flew by. I'd say, if you have others to play with, get it, if you have no one to play with? Still get it.

I've also got ZombieU which seems like it's been getting some nice solid scores, and it just plain looks like FUN. The addition of the tablet touchscreen thing coming into play, and the fact that zombies kick ass, it just makes it a must buy. I have to admit, I haven't read too much on what else is out right now, but these 2 games are on my 'to-do' list so to speak, so I'm focusing on just them right now. Pikmin 3 when it comes out in a few months (spring I believe). I believe Dremic was talking about Trine as well, and that looks awesome.

All in all...a solid purchase. It'll get better as well, I'm sure of it.

Also can't comment on Nintendo Land, but it does look fun from what I've seen.

wait, Blkout ... you know its a completely different mario than the one that came out for the Wii.?!

ign wiiu has a great review out for it. 9.1 i believe.

Actually, its all over the place.
This is the most divisive game I have seen in a long time. Makes we want to play it even more. :D

Gamespot - 4.5/10
Official Nintendo Magazine - 92/100
EDGE - 7/10
Game Informer - 5/10
Eurogamer - 9/10
IGN - 6.3/10
Destructoid - 8/10
CVG - 8.4/10
GamesRadar - 3/5
GamesBeat - 88/100
Polygon - 8/10

Recently, I have been trusting Dtoid and Eurogamer, so this is VERY interesting.

Fuck. Why does Toys R Us ship ON release day? I'm gonna have the game tomorrow and no console till Friday.
Keep in mind these are reviewers that have been coddled and hand held for 10 years. Some of them wouldn't know what a real challenge is if it kicked them in the face.

wait, Blkout ... you know its a completely different mario than the one that came out for the Wii.?!

ign wiiu has a great review out for it. 9.1 i believe.

Completely different or slightly different? Is it mostly the same with some added stuff or is it completely different from the ground up?

Keep in mind these are reviewers that have been coddled and hand held for 10 years. Some of them wouldn't know what a real challenge is if it kicked them in the face.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, XCOM and Super Meat Boy all got pretty good reviews.

sums it up over at "The PA Report"

"But wait, don’t you like the system?

I adore the system so far. I enjoy playing games on the GamePad’s screen, and I love games like ZombiU that use the GamePad well. The multiplayer Nintendo Land games that require the GamePad and Wii Remotes are a blast with friends, and you can now hide information from other players on your screen, and I’m looking forward to seeing how multiplayer works on Black Ops 2 when one person looks at the television and the other looks at the GamePad screen. I see nothing but possibilities for the future, especially if sales are strong and third-party developers support the system. I think the hardware is great, and the early games are promising.

The problem is that the firmware is half-baked, and simple tasks are more complicated than necessary."

*edit*
oh wow! please put xcom on the wii u!

its more less addon. all the levels are different, they brought back some classic bad guys, and there are new suits for mario. and the gamepad user can assist.

I really need some feedback on the ZombiU game, ToysRus has B1G40% off sale right now and if I pick up Super Mario, the only other game that looks promising is ZombiU. What's the verdict? Mediocre or good?

So far I think it's just barely good. Keep in mind I only played about 25 minutes worth. It feels very slow. The GamePad uses as a scanner and ready inventory selector I like a lot. The looting is pretty annoying and requires too much looking back and forth from gamepad to screen due to empty containers, but some of them will just say empty and not give the hassle. Makes no sense to me. I've killed exactly 3 zombies in all of my gameplay. I think it has potential to get better.

It was 40% off from combining it with NSMBU, so I don't feel shafted. However, it's not this amazingly awesome game. Graphics aren't bad but there is noticeable slowdown. Also don't like the dirty lens crap.

I really need some feedback on the ZombiU game, ToysRus has B1G40% off sale right now and if I pick up Super Mario, the only other game that looks promising is ZombiU. What's the verdict? Mediocre or good?

I was hoping to hop on some tonight, so ill have some kind of impression for you later on tonight once I get an hour or two in. I'm sure someone else can say a few words?

So far I think it's just barely good. Keep in mind I only played about 25 minutes worth. It feels very slow. The GamePad uses as a scanner and ready inventory selector I like a lot. The looting is pretty annoying and requires too much looking back and forth from gamepad to screen due to empty containers, but some of them will just say empty and not give the hassle. Makes no sense to me. I've killed exactly 3 zombies in all of my gameplay. I think it has potential to get better.

It was 40% off from combining it with NSMBU, so I don't feel shafted. However, it's not this amazingly awesome game. Graphics aren't bad but there is noticeable slowdown. Also don't like the dirty lens crap.

Thanks man, I was afraid of that, professional reviews are all over the place with this title.

I was hoping to hop on some tonight, so ill have some kind of impression for you later on tonight once I get an hour or two in. I'm sure someone else can say a few words?

Thanks man, looking forward to hearing your impression.

why not get mario and ac3?

Don't know about Blkout, but AC3 is a PS3 title for me due to extra content. LEGO City Undercover isn't out yet and I have yet to play Epic Mickey, so ZombiU it was. Honestly, this was such an impulse buy. If there was no Wii backward compatibility I wouldn't even be in this thread. I do like the system and potential for what's down the pipeline.

why not get mario and ac3?

Never been a fan of the AC series, tried playing them a few times and I continue to get frustrated with the controls and pacing of those games. Batman is a great game, but its too late now, its already been out on multiple systems, including the PC which I've already played a good bit already. Honestly, its hard for me to play anything on a console that I can play on my PC which is high end so I tend to stick to console exclusives.

If the Wii U wasn't backwards compatible, I would certainly not own it right now, the fact that it is and I can keep my Wii library gives it some value to me at the moment, and the fact that I can finally get rid of the component cables and use HDMI for a bit less cable clutter is another benefit.

I guess I'll keep the one I have and open it tonight, I need the new Mario game but so far I'm still on the fence about buying any other games for now.

Blkout, not to bust your bubble, but they have had an HDMI adapter for the Wii for awhile.

well i will post a full review (my 2 cents) probably towards the end of the week. no matter what, like any machine, the success comes down to games and nintendo working its ass off to update and improve this new OS.

*edit*
can anyone comment on just how bad the black one picks up fingerpints and crap. i have heard its awful.

Last edited:
Blkout, not to bust your bubble, but they have had an HDMI adapter for the Wii for awhile.

well i will post a full review (my 2 cents) probably towards the end of the week. no matter what, like any machine, the success comes down to games and nintendo working its ass off to update and improve this new OS.

*edit*
can anyone comment on just how bad the black one picks up fingerpints and crap. i have heard its awful.

Same material as the glossy new Xbox Slim, so yes, it'll pick up dust and fingerprints like a boss. Expect steam from your ears and rage on your face. At least that's what my feelings are towards dust and fingerprints.

White one shows some fingerprints as well sadly, but nothing like the black ones I've seen.

Blkout said:
If the Wii U wasn't backwards compatible, I would certainly not own it right now, the fact that it is and I can keep my Wii library gives it some value to me at the moment, and the fact that I can finally get rid of the component cables and use HDMI for a bit less cable clutter is another benefit.

I guess I'll keep the one I have and open it tonight, I need the new Mario game but so far I'm still on the fence about buying any other games for now.

There you go. Good choice :). IMO why not even sell the Wii you have, get some return on that, but keep the games you do enjoy?

Also, as an aside, anyone miffed that the white version (not sure about black) didn't come with a stand for the little sensor bar? It's a cheap piece of plastic, why not include it haha.

*edit*

Hmm, didn't know that, I had a Wii since day one so I had the component cables for it since then. Never really went looking for an HDMI adapter. The components worked fine, I just like less clutter from the single HDMI cable.

The black one is gloss black so you know its going to be bad, I never cared about fingerprints though so it won't bother me.

There you go. Good choice :). IMO why not even sell the Wii you have, get some return on that, but keep the games you do enjoy?

Also, as an aside, anyone miffed that the white version (not sure about black) didn't come with a stand for the little sensor bar? It's a cheap piece of plastic, why not include it haha.

I plan to sell the Wii and get some return. Don't understand why the Wii can play Gamecube games but the Wii U can't, seems a little silly.

I'll let you know about the stand for mine today, I'll open my black one tonight.

Back