Need strategies for getting a Wii U

I'm glad you were able to get one at Target. Yesterday all Targets in my area were showing in-stock, but it was counting pre-order stock. So when I called them, they said there were none for sale, only if you had a pre-order. Walmart was kind enough to hold one for an hour after calling them.

I just went to a Best Buy here and they had a nice stack of both types still in the shipping boxes.

I figure that I'll get one eventually, but I'm not avidly hunting one down. That way I won't get irritated :)
However if I just happen to stumble upon one, I'll probably snag it.

Does anyone know the best deals for accessories and games for the Wii U? I'll have to check if there are any discounts on them during Black Friday.

Does anyone know the best deals for accessories and games for the Wii U? I'll have to check if there are any discounts on them during Black Friday.

Too add to my post:

If Anyone is looking for a black Wii Remote with built-in Plus, Toys-R-Us has FlingSmash game for $25 that includes the remote plus, then buy a 2nd one for 40% off. So two Remote Plus for around $40. It's sold out online, don't know what stock is left in stores.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696

If you are looking for the black Nunchuck:

Sears has it for $8.99:
http://www.sears.com/nintendo-wii-n...000P?sid=IAx20050830x000545&PID=4485850&aff=Y

KMart has it for $8.99 also:
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-wii-n...d=KAx20050801x13xSlickdeals&PID=1225267&aff=Y

Too add to my post:

If Anyone is looking for a black Wii Remote with built-in Plus, Toys-R-Us has FlingSmash game for $25 that includes the remote plus, then buy a 2nd one for 40% off. So two Remote Plus for around $40. It's sold out online, don't know what stock is left in stores.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696

If you are looking for the black Nunchuck:

Sears has it for $8.99:
http://www.sears.com/nintendo-wii-n...000P?sid=IAx20050830x000545&PID=4485850&aff=Y

KMart has it for $8.99 also:
http://www.kmart.com/nintendo-wii-n...d=KAx20050801x13xSlickdeals&PID=1225267&aff=Y

i might go to toysrus tonight to try and get that wii mote and skyward sword

wow! first night and i have had a blast!

nintendo ID: message me!

friend me!

Last edited:
Stopped at toys-r-us. No Fling Smash in sight. Almost gave up and left, but a sales person was finally free. She went to the back and found one, then I asked for a second one. Perfect.

Then I headed to Sears for two nunchucks. Their site showed one in stock, but I found two. Showed $20, but they happily matched it to their 8.99 price.

So not bad, around $61 total with two motion plus remotes and two nunchucks. Normally that would be $120.

Stopped at toys-r-us. No Fling Smash in sight. Almost gave up and left, but a sales person was finally free. She went to the back and found one, then I asked for a second one. Perfect.

Then I headed to Sears for two nunchucks. Their site showed one in stock, but I found two. Showed $20, but they happily matched it to their 8.99 price.

So not bad, around $61 total with two motion plus remotes and two nunchucks. Normally that would be $120.

nice deal man.

i think i might grab a motion plus controller and skyward sword tomorrow

nice guys! grats :)

lets exchange network IDs and get down on trine 2!

I'd like to but I have no damn clue how to add people...I was looking around on Wednesday for about 20 minutes and gave the fuck up.

I played ZombieU for anyone that cares, by the way, and it was definitely freaky as shit. It looks very surreal on my TV and I was really surprised at how creepy the atmosphere was.

It's a must buy IMO.

I played ZombieU for anyone that cares, by the way, and it was definitely freaky as shit. It looks very surreal on my TV and I was really surprised at how creepy the atmosphere was.

It's a must buy IMO.

ZombiU and Mario are the only two games I want right now. Was planning on purchasing them through Toys-R-Us.com for their buy 1 get 1 40% off, but their site didn't even list ZombiU until today, and today it's only pre-order with Dec 31st estimate, so it doesn't work with the 40% off.

Also, they now have FlingSmash back in stock online, 1 per customer, for $22.48, includes the Wii Remote with built in Motion Plus worth $40: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696&skuid=8952283

I did watch ZombiU played at a friends Thanksgiving party. I was like wow, nice atmosphere, really creepy and intense. Something you'd always want in a zombie game. The concept of waking up as a new player and the old player becoming a zombie is unique. I didn't see the start to understand why there's always a new player in the same room on the same bed ready to go. Two things bugged me. 1st, the new player always did the same exaggerated gasp when waking up (mainly since everyone kept dieing in 2 minutes). 2nd, the main attack with the club was repetitive looking and slow. One person even asked if that was the only animation for the attack, since you have to do it like 4 times on each zombie. Do other weapons come into to play more often?

ZombiU and Mario are the only two games I want right now. Was planning on purchasing them through Toys-R-Us.com for their buy 1 get 1 40% off, but their site didn't even list ZombiU until today, and today it's only pre-order with Dec 31st estimate, so it doesn't work with the 40% off.

Also, they now have FlingSmash back in stock online, 1 per customer, for $22.48, includes the Wii Remote with built in Motion Plus worth $40: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696&skuid=8952283

I did watch ZombiU played at a friends Thanksgiving party. I was like wow, nice atmosphere, really creepy and intense. Something you'd always want in a zombie game. The concept of waking up as a new player and the old player becoming a zombie is unique. I didn't see the start to understand why there's always a new player in the same room on the same bed ready to go. Two things bugged me. 1st, the new player always did the same exaggerated gasp when waking up (mainly since everyone kept dieing in 2 minutes). 2nd, the main attack with the club was repetitive looking and slow. One person even asked if that was the only animation for the attack, since you have to do it like 4 times on each zombie. Do other weapons come into to play more often?

I did the Toys R Us thing as well, I like that it was 40% off on second game.

ZombieU is definitely a must buy IMO, if you're into that kind of thing. The atmosphere is bar none, awesome. Not sure on weapons as I'm only on like the third "mission", but it's definitely eerie walking around exploring, trying not to run into zombies. Which there are plenty of...

While the Deluxe model was nowhere to be found, my local Target has had several of the normal white one throughout the last few days. I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect the 3 I've seen have been sitting there all weekend.

Since black friday, I have been seeing deluxe models at almost every store I go to now. Prices have tanked on ebay/amazon as well so supply must be meeting demand somewhat better.

Prices have tanked on ebay/amazon as well so supply must be meeting demand somewhat better.

Not really. Ebay auctions are still ending at $400+, which is where they were a week ago. Seems pretty consistent right now, I don't see any "$2000 buy it now!" auctions today.

I preordered and got one opening day, but the firmware update bricked it. I went around looking for a deluxe model on Sunday and they were nowhere to be found. About 4 hours of looking at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, Meijers -- nothing. I passed on a handful of basics, and almost settled but I didn't want 8GB...

I ended up stopping at Toys R Us a couple miles from my house and they had 10 of them. Go figure...

If anyone in Grand Rapids, MI is looking -- as of close yesterday, Toys R Us on East Beltline and 28th had 9 in stock. They only put two out at a time, so make sure you ask. They have been sitting on the shelf since Black Friday...

I might swing by my local Toys R Us store for the hell of it at lunch. I doubt I'll see anything, but you never know.

I found a Deluxe unit (the last one!) at a local Target that's in a part of town with less traffic. It had been a pre-order that was never picked up so I snagged it. Both Targets I checked had the Basic set in stock, but only one unit each.

Yeah, I've had a basic still in the box and target bag since launch day. Been debating on selling it, keeping it, or returning it.

Looks like they're not THAT hard to find, so ebaying it probably isn't worth my while. Never really cared to make profit anyway.

May just keep it.

Went by Toys R Us. No deluxe models, but they had 6-7 basics. Seems like shoppers are definitely passing up the basic model to hunt for the deluxe.

Went by Toys R Us. No deluxe models, but they had 6-7 basics. Seems like shoppers are definitely passing up the basic model to hunt for the deluxe.
Makes sense. NintendoLand is 59.99 I believe, so you are basically getting $10 off NintendoLand and a 4x the hard drive space for free if you opt for the Deluxe over the Basic.

Besides, black > white for consoles.

Makes sense. NintendoLand is 59.99 I believe, so you are basically getting $10 off NintendoLand and a 4x the hard drive space for free if you opt for the Deluxe over the Basic.

Besides, black > white for consoles.

Yup. That's what I'm holding out for as much as the value savings. My current white Wii looks like an oddball next to all of my black/charcoal systems and components.
A console is essentially a 6 year investment these days, so you might as well get the one you want!

if you have wii motes and some friends nintendoland is amaaazing.

I went for the Basic cause it gives me more bang for the buck. Period.

When people pay the extra $50 for some software and a couple pieces of injection molded plastic it allows Nintendo to absorb some of the loss that they are getting with each system sold.

Just like buying a car, of course they want you to pay more for more features, there's a larger profit margin on each feature sold compared to the base car.

I went for the Basic cause it gives me more bang for the buck. Period.

When people pay the extra $50 for some software and a couple pieces of injection molded plastic it allows Nintendo to absorb some of the loss that they are getting with each system sold.

Just like buying a car, of course they want you to pay more for more features, there's a larger profit margin on each feature sold compared to the base car.

I just didn't get the black because I couldn't find one near me, plus who gives a crap about Nintendo Land. I'm finding I'll never use up the 8GB I have, ever, and I like the white since I can't see smudges, which means less wiping shit down. :D

Yeah, to some paying the extra $50 for the black may be definitely worth it, i'd prefer it over the white since it'd match the rest of my entertainment center.

However, a black piece of plastic costs Nintendo the same as a white piece of plastic. The black could actually cost them less if the volumes are higher.

Yeah, to some paying the extra $50 for the black may be definitely worth it, i'd prefer it over the white since it'd match the rest of my entertainment center.

However, a black piece of plastic costs Nintendo the same as a white piece of plastic. The black could actually cost them less if the volumes are higher.
The black costs more because it includes a 32GB hard drive and NintendoLand.

If you have an external hard drive to use and don't care about NintendoLand, the Basic makes sense. I don't have any external drives though so to me, the extra hard drive space and NintendoLand (which is a good social game) was worth the extra cost :)

The 50 bucks is more than worth it, Nintendo land $59.99,32 GB storage vs 8gb, charge cradle for game pad (totally worth having) $19.99 separate. Extra little stand for game pad (do use it often). Consider your 8 GB is actually 3gb just like my 32gb is about 28gb now 25gb with apps installed. Better make sure you use a self powered external hard drive it didn't like small none powered ones.

Anyone thinking about picking up a warranty for their Wii U?

I'm curious if Squaretrade's accidental damage plan would cover the controller as well as the console. It comes out to around fifty bucks for three years coverage. The last few console launches haven't left me with very much confidence in their longevity.

Well, the Wii U is just a time killer for me really, once I beat a game I move on to the next. I'm not going to sit there and watch Hulu or Netflix or w/e, I really don't have the time for that nor do I want to spend my free time watching movies or w/e. But that's just me. Get on the game, play it, move on to other shit.

I totally agree that it's more than worth it based on what we'd have to pay otherwise.

I'm just saying from a business perspective it's also a win because they can bundle higher margin items in (software) for an added cost.

It's really a win for everybody.

Pretty interesting way to find one if you're still on the hunt. Target's website will tell you what stores in your area have them in stock. I just searched for the Wi U Deluxe edition, and while something like 8-9 stores were sold out, one did supposedly have "limited supply."

Well, the Wii U is just a time killer for me really, once I beat a game I move on to the next. I'm not going to sit there and watch Hulu or Netflix or w/e, I really don't have the time for that nor do I want to spend my free time watching movies or w/e. But that's just me. Get on the game, play it, move on to other shit.

ive been watching hulu and netflix and amazon prime on mine. samurai champloo son.

dont act like your time is valuable man. yesterday you told me you got off when mario beat bowser.

Lol what. I didn't say that. We haven't talked since like, last Wednesday when we were gushing over the Wii U. Don't be making shit up son. :D

I'd get the deluxe just for the charging cradle. It's better looking than a wire sticking out of the top of the pad while it charges.

Plus black looks better.

I talked with one of the people at Target and I got some mixed answers. One guy told me that company policy states they have to sell anything they have in stock if someone asks. Per that guy, a manager has to OK it if someone asks.

Another guy (at a different location that DID have deluxe models in the back) said they were forced to stockpile them for this Sunday when they were planning to have a Sunday paper ad.

Either way, it seems like Targets will have them Sunday morning.

Back