Need strategies for getting a Wii U

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have some advice on getting a Wii U when they come out this weekend?

Buy a pre-order off ebay. Otherwise GFL. Line up early at gamestop and hope for the best.

Preorders are done... if you can get one it will be a second hand one.

I would find a Kmart or Walmart in the middle of nowhere and line up at midnight or earlier.

Just line up. I'm sure all Wal-marts and Best Buys will get reserves for in-store purchases. It makes them feel more important seeing people line-up at their store.

man some of these suggestions hahahhaha

do not go where people typically get game consoles dude. avoid EB games. avoid frys and best buy. they will be sold out and preordered to shit.

go to obscure places like wal marts, targets, kmarts ESPECIALLY cause who the fuck shops at kmart.

shit like that dude.

personally i called both target and kmart. both are getting wii u's in stock the day of release. both are extras not preorders. and i will definitely get one day one i am sure.

Kmart and sears are the most obscure. Walmart and target are worth a shot but also are big go to places. Also maybe sams club.

do not go where people typically get game consoles dude. avoid EB games. avoid frys and best buy. they will be sold out and preordered to shit.

go to obscure places like wal marts, targets, kmarts ESPECIALLY cause who the fuck shops at kmart.

shit like that dude.

personally i called both target and kmart. both are getting wii u's in stock the day of release. both are extras not preorders. and i will definitely get one day one i am sure.
BTW stores already have them. They come in a week or two before launch. Target gets big trucks 4 days a week starting about now. If they haven't yet they'll be on there regular big truck on Wednesday

Anyone have some advice on getting a Wii U when they come out this weekend?
I've pre-ordred consoles before and still did not get them for months after released. I upped the amount of pre-orders but still don't plan to get one on launch. Truth is, they are going to be hard to find for a while.

Where on earth do you all live? I remember walking into stores on release day for every major console in the last decade and a half and walking out with some games and the console itself, plus accessories.

Is this thing really that popular, even more than the original Wii?

Also what's the pricing for this and the top games that are coming out. Haven't been following sorry! :)

Kind of want one now...

make email alerts on camelcamelcamel, slickdeals, fatwallet, etc.
i managed to sneak in a target pre-order a couple weeks ago since i was able to react fast enough.

Where on earth do you all live? I remember walking into stores on release day for every major console in the last decade and a half and walking out with some games and the console itself, plus accessories.

Is this thing really that popular, even more than the original Wii?

Also what's the pricing for this and the top games that are coming out. Haven't been following sorry! :)

Kind of want one now...

The original Wii was a pain to get your hands on at first too. I never had an issue with any other console. Nintendo does it on purpose to drive demand.

Wired just did this nice little write up on Wii U.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/wii-u-impressions/

As for games. This is the launch line up...

Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
Epic Mickey 2
FIFA 13 Soccer 13
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed 3
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Your Shape: Fitness 2013
ZombiU
Scribblenauts: Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City Armored Ed

make email alerts on camelcamelcamel, slickdeals, fatwallet, etc.
i managed to sneak in a target pre-order a couple weeks ago since i was able to react fast enough.

I was able to get in on a pre-order at Target last week on the 8th. My order status is showing an estimated arrival on the 19th so hopefully I will get it then.

Meh. I'll try to walk in to a few places on Sunday and see if any are around. Can't hurt. Ideally I'd like the 32GB Deluxe one, but I'll take what I can get.

Grand Rapids, MI

I camped out for the Wii on multiple nights -- after a month, I finally got one.

I remember doing the midnight released of the gamecube. I got there at ~8pm and waited in line. They finally handed out numbers and did a lotto. I didn't get one. Luckily for me, the last number they drew never showed to pick up their "winnings", so I was able to purchase one.

I remember the N64 being hard to get as well. Looked all over the place and never saw them on the shelf. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and got mine a few months after release.

I remember looking for a PS2 forever. It must have been 3-4 months before I was able to finally get one. Same with the PS3 -- very difficult to get and I ended up snagging it at a blockbuster that was closing...

I was a late-comer to the Xbox and Xbox 360 -- didn't get those until they were easily available. Don't know what they were like around release, but I would expect them to be pretty hard to get...

Grand Rapids, MI

I camped out for the Wii on multiple nights -- after a month, I finally got one.

I remember doing the midnight released of the gamecube. I got there at ~8pm and waited in line. They finally handed out numbers and did a lotto. I didn't get one. Luckily for me, the last number they drew never showed to pick up their "winnings", so I was able to purchase one.

I remember the N64 being hard to get as well. Looked all over the place and never saw them on the shelf. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and got mine a few months after release.

I remember looking for a PS2 forever. It must have been 3-4 months before I was able to finally get one. Same with the PS3 -- very difficult to get and I ended up snagging it at a blockbuster that was closing...

I was a late-comer to the Xbox and Xbox 360 -- didn't get those until they were easily available. Don't know what they were like around release, but I would expect them to be pretty hard to get...

I remember getting the Gamecube on day 1 at best buy, just walked in with my father and got it with Luigi's Mansion. Best day ever.

i am considering getting 2 if i can find em. and reselling them on [H] or something i am sure i'd make a profit...

honestly though if they have the basic i wont get it. deluxe only here. kmart opens at 7 on sunday and target at 9. i will hit both if kmart bombs out. then maybe frys :)

Buy a pre-order off ebay. Otherwise GFL. Line up early at gamestop and hope for the best.

Be careful on this. I preordered a gamecube on ebay and the fucker didn't ship until a month later.

shit like that dude.

make a friend at target or walmart. Friends will "misplace" a unit on opening day until you stroll by to pay for it.

Also I'm in a remote part of Montana. A lot of shit comes here and sits on the shelf if you can't find one and you're willing to pay shipping remind me on opening day and I can stop by kmart and target for you. It'll be like $20 to ship most places.

BTW stores already have them. They come in a week or two before launch. Target gets big trucks 4 days a week starting about now. If they haven't yet they'll be on there regular big truck on Wednesday

tuesday night for target. I used to unload. During holidays it's more often. we never know what's coming off the truck until we unload it though. Shortages are not uncommon.

Last edited:
i am considering getting 2 if i can find em. and reselling them on [H] or something i am sure i'd make a profit...

honestly though if they have the basic i wont get it. deluxe only here. kmart opens at 7 on sunday and target at 9. i will hit both if kmart bombs out. then maybe frys :)

Good plan, I'll be first in line when doors open at Kmart and Target, then going to Walmart if that's a bust. Have a few other places I can hit in one big circle around my area within 50 miles. Hopefully won't have to resort to a big trip, but we'll see. I too want the Deluxe now, really bad haha.

piscian18 said:
tuesday night for target. I used to unload. During holidays it's more often. we never know what's coming off the truck until we unload it though. Shortages are not uncommon.

Good to know man. Also thanks for offering to ship from your little area of the country. :)

Good plan, I'll be first in line when doors open at Kmart and Target, then going to Walmart if that's a bust. Have a few other places I can hit in one big circle around my area within 50 miles. Hopefully won't have to resort to a big trip, but we'll see. I too want the Deluxe now, really bad haha.

Good to know man. Also thanks for offering to ship from your little area of the country. :)

no doubt. i dont get the EBgames and gamestop thing.. its like i drive by and theres 50 people outside gamestop waiting for black ops 2.. and then you got wal mart which is open 24 hours and has copies just chillin. hahaha. so dumb

I would call your local target and see if they have any pre-order cards left. I was able to pick up one for a white wii u this week.

I honestly want a black though so my plan is to hit up Walmart around midnight and if I have no success there I will try Target early for a non pre-order. Finally going to BestBuy after Target to see what they have.

no doubt. i dont get the EBgames and gamestop thing.. its like i drive by and theres 50 people outside gamestop waiting for black ops 2.. and then you got wal mart which is open 24 hours and has copies just chillin. hahaha. so dumb

Not a big fan of Gamestop. I went to a midnight release of FEAR when it first came out. It was a bunch of idiots talking about the game and yelling constantly. I'd rather avoid having people talk to me about shit I don't want to hear. Just want to pick it up, go home, play.

Not a big fan of Gamestop. I went to a midnight release of FEAR when it first came out. It was a bunch of idiots talking about the game and yelling constantly. I'd rather avoid having people talk to me about shit I don't want to hear. Just want to pick it up, go home, play.

hope this console isnt a bust! looks very promising

Additionally employees have gotten caught numerous times holding back an unreasonable amount of stock and selling a lot on ebay.

It's weird how rarely I meet decent gamestop employees. I can understand holding back one or two items but some of these guys will hold 10 or 20 back to resell.

Additionally employees have gotten caught numerous times holding back and unreasonable amount of stock and selling a lot on ebay.

It's weird how rarely I meet decent gamestop employees.

a lot of people think they are geniuses too its hilarious. like gamestop employees not knowing what a placeholder date is. fail.

a lot of people think they are geniuses too its hilarious. like gamestop employees not knowing what a placeholder date is. fail.

I'm not sure why I go back there most of the time...maybe it's for the ambiance of games all around me, and nothing but games. Then I get to the register and am reminded of why I'm an idiot for coming here...AGAIN. The crap they try to sell you, like pre-orders. Who pre-orders games anymore!? NO ONE.

I'm not sure why I go back there most of the time...maybe it's for the ambiance of games all around me, and nothing but games. Then I get to the register and am reminded of why I'm an idiot for coming here...AGAIN. The crap they try to sell you, like pre-orders. Who pre-orders games anymore!? NO ONE.

i buy everything digital. the last hard copy game i bought was deus ex ( thank god i did, ended up with a 50$ giftcard) :)

that is one thing that blows about getting a console too... no sales. PC game sales are insane. i got all 3 mass effect games for like 19$

i buy everything digital. the last hard copy game i bought was deus ex ( thank god i did, ended up with a 50$ giftcard) :)

that is one thing that blows about getting a console too... no sales. PC game sales are insane. i got all 3 mass effect games for like 19$

Nothing beats Steam and Greenmangaming sales, out of this world. #1 thing about being a PC Gamer, you get deals, ALL the time.

The last hard-copy game I bought was Cataclysm...I think. But I had a $25 off gift-card from the monstrous amount of points I had saved up. Decided to use it, since I won't really be accumulating more on my rewards card, being that I don't go there all that much.

i am considering game fly for the wii u right now, get me ninja gaiden which is only good for a play through for me..

game looks fantastic..

i am considering game fly for the wii u right now, get me ninja gaiden which is only good for a play through for me..

game looks fantastic..

I still have a Blockbuster here...I wonder if they'll get Wii-U stuff haha.

On earth, you? There is no way you did this, PS2 & Wii come to mind for immediate shens.

On earth, you? There is no way you did this, PS2 & Wii come to mind for immediate shens.

the 360 was hard as shit to find too dude. i remember looking forever. my brother and i checked stores in several towns in utah too on our way to salt lake hah

Earth. Yes, I did do that. Believe what you want, but they were all (minus the PS3) day-1 walk-in purchases for me. Towns range from Manchester, NH, to Salem, NH (Also the Mass. Salem).

dremic said:
the 360 was hard as shit to find too dude. i remember looking forever. my brother and i checked stores in several towns in utah too on our way to salt lake hah

360 was the easiest of all of them to grab, I'd go as far to say that the PS3 was much harder since people gobbled it up, but I found one very early in the morning on the second day in some podunk town in New Hampshire.

Not saying that the Wii-U will be as easy for me, but here's hoping to keep the streak going.

Dude even if the console makers let major markets run dry while overserving others, no one there was smart enough to scope them up to sell for 2X on ebay? SHENS!

I usually don't laugh at forum posts, but this was a funny comment I immediately started laughing at it because it's true.

I usually don't laugh at forum posts, but this was a funny comment I immediately started laughing at it because it's true.

I used this strategy to get Halo 4 @ KMart when I hit 2 Targets and Gamestops on release day with no luck. KMart was flush with copies of Halo 4.

if you're in the PACNW i suggesting going to fred meyer. i shop for groceries there and i forget they have an electronics department sometimes

Back