Need some xbox 360 buying advice

zombeh

[H]ard|Gawd
This is my first console purchase. I am buying it used on craigslist.

Here is my situation:

I found a guy selling a 1.5 year old xbox360 with 2 controllers, hd av cables, headset, and 9 games for $200. He said it works fine and just needs cash desperately .

Here is my question:

I have a 32" 1080i lcd. Should i get an xbox with HDMI instead?

Since its old, will it most likely get the red ring of death or any other problems?

what else should i look for?

No need for HDMI with a 1080i TV, if it's got component video cables it'll work just as well (IMHO). I have my 360 hooked up to my 720p tv via component video with an optical audio cable.

It is pretty old but I think you'll be fine. My current 360 is almost 1.5 years old and hasn't given me a lick of trouble. That's right about the time Falcon came out, you might check to see if it's a Falcon board, either way though I think you'll be fine. Check to see if it has any warranty left, that's a BIG plus.

If I were you I'd double check the unit and ask if you somehow can test it out. Remove the faceplate and see if the warranty sticker is still intact, even though it can be replaced at times (obvious sign it was opened). You can never know if it RROD'd already and he "repaired" it and trying to dump it off without you first checking a few things. Might even be a modded unit and banned on live, lots of things to look out for. It also can be a solid box with no such issues and the seller is being honest, who knows at this point with such shaddy things out there. It's just a heads up.

*edit*
If it is a dud, with 9 games it might not be too bad a deal depending on the games.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's alot to look out for. I bought my 360 used as well, but I got it from an [H] member with great heat who I trusted.

Is this someone you know, or just someone off Craigslist (e.g., stolen Xbox)? Before purchasing, run it and connect it to Xbox live to ensure it's not banned.

Component cables work just as well as HDMI, so you'll be good with that.

Thanks for your replies. He said theres been no modding and the stickers is there and he will bring it to me house to test it. I Found it on craigslist. I will ask him if its banned.

Here are the games:

GEARS OF WAR 1

GEARS OF WAR 2

CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR

NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON

HALO 2 & 3

F.E.A.R.

BONBERMAN

HITMAN BLOOD MONEY

STRANGLE HOLD

RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS

ASSASSIN'S CREED

MOTO GP 06

NBA LIVE 07

BLAZING ANGELS

He also took a picture

3nd3o83pbZZZZZZZZZ941c2ef567321ac1cd8.jpg

Methinks either you or he needs to learn to count...9 games?

If it comes with all that I'd say even if it doesn't work you could get most of your cash back with those games, but this is one of those "almost too good to be true" auctions if everything works right.

I'd avoid buying a used 360. Too much to go wrong, as Dark Zero pointed out. At a year and a half old, it's already run out its warranty on everything but RROD, and RROD is not the only thing that can go wrong with a machine (I know from experience). So even if everything is on the up and up here, you're taking quite a bit of risk. As for all the games, ask yourself how many of those you actually want? How many can you rent? How many can you get for dirt cheap used? I'd say save your pennies and wait to buy a new machine.

Sounds too good to be true, but there are some pretty good games in the list and an extra controller. If it works, and connects to live (assuming you want one that isn't banned), I'd jump on it. It's not worth it for the game alone, thats for sure...

Well, i don't know what to do. the only thing keeping me from it is how old it is.

Trust your instincts. I just happen to see stolen/banned Xboxes sold often. I even saw two guys walk up to the front of Home Depot, put out a stand, and hawk an Xbox there. They sold it to the second person that walked along, packed up their stuff, and ran. I warned the woman that she may have just got scammed, but she was too focused on the huge deal she just got.

He said It's not banned.

And the reason he is selling it is "To be straight up, my dog has a urinating infection and he needs the money"

Id say buy it.Trade in the console or sell just the console for $100.Spend the extra $100 and get a new arcade unit.Slap your hard drive on there and call it a day.

That would be the best thing to do as you will have a new xbox 360 and a shit load of games for only $200

Gopher it. The games are pretty much worth the price that you would pay, then either keep the console or sell it separately and buy an arcade as mentioned. Chances are the console will work fine though.

I would buy it if you can see it up and running. The games and controllers will pretty much cover your loss if the unit dies.

Ok, he's coming over to test it in a couple hours. I will report back. Thanks for all your advice!

Yeah, I'm with the people who say trade it in for a new Arcade unit. I'm tempted to pick one up as well.

Okay, well it works fine, and is not banned. He did sell cod waw and gears of war 2 to someone else. Pissed me off, but he gave me a year and a month of xbox live.

Hope he knocked a few bucks off as well, the two games are worth more than the Live! time.

I've got World at War for sale (brand new) if you really want it.

Well he ended up throwing in 2 halo 3's so i am going to sell one of those and he threw in some xbox 1 games as well. Since he gave me 1 year and a month of xbox live, i figured i wouldn't try getting him to go any lower. I will PM you kabob.

I'd be on that deal in a second. That's a lot of games, and at least half of them are A+ level games, too.

I'm picking up a used Jasper arcade unit today as well, probably sell my old console to a friend cheapish.

Back