Need some UPS help...should I buy this APC 2200va?

computerpro3

LightningRod
I have the opportunity to get this for $200 (possibly less). I need another UPS eventually, and the rackmount is really nice, but I'm just not sure if this is worth the money.

I could get this locally; my parents live 30 minutes away and I could pick it the next time I see them.

It is listed as:

APC Smart UPS 2200 XL Battery Pack + Battery Controller

And here are the pictures of it

upspics.png

I verified that it is 120v, and the seller says he has no idea about the age of the batteries He says it was pulled from an office server setup, but I have a feeling he doesn't know much about this or technology in general.

Is this worth it? New batteries would be expensive; worst case scenario, what could I make selling off the controller and battery pack and keeping just the 2200VA ups?

Actually, I doubt the batteries are that bad, as far as replacement cost is concerned.

Look for a Batteries Plus store. They can replace or build replacements pretty reasonably.

This unit is worth a few grand I would think.

It will cost more then that to replace the batteries if they are bad, but I think it's worth a shot. I believe these units will deep cycle marine batteries. You could get a couple high quality deep charge batteries and hook them up. Will be cheaper and last longer then replacement batteries. Make sure you get the old ones recycled!

This unit is worth a few grand I would think.

It will cost more then that to replace the batteries if they are bad, but I think it's worth a shot. I believe these units will deep cycle marine batteries. You could get a couple high quality deep charge batteries and hook them up. Will be cheaper and last longer then replacement batteries. Make sure you get the old ones recycled!

The batteries are cheap if you have the packs built. I used to work at a Batteries Plus as a tech, and it always floored me what places would sell ready-to-go replacements for.

From what I can see through the ventilation holes in the back, they appear to be Hawker Cyclon cells. They should run around $12 tops per cell. You can actually join them yourself with a crimper, wire, and some spade connectors. The OEM set will most likely be soldered together, but that's largely for shipping purposes.

If you end up getting it, take some pics of the interior. I'd love to take a look! :)

I just snapped up one of those guys recently for my new rack. Can't wait for it to ship, being able to chain up to 10x battery unit is pretty awesome :)

Back