Need some tips on Overclockin my XP2400!!

tekk2k

n00b
I just upped my voltage to about 1.85 and the system is pretty stable. But it weird cause the CPU frequency hasn't change. It is still @ 2.0ghz

Is it something i forgot to change in the bios to overclock it? Cause just changing the voltage isn't doin the trick.

Plus it is runnin at a temp of 54 degrees. Yeah thats pretty hot, gonna definetly have to get more/better/faster fans.

you need to toy around with the FSB and multiplier as well. Just be sure to slowly increase the speed, not make huge leaps.

Originally posted by _cashel
you need to toy around with the FSB and multiplier as well. Just be sure to slowly increase the speed, not make huge leaps.

Basically as per above, except you might not be able to play with the multiplier if your cpu is locked, or your motherboard doesn't allow multiplier adjustment. As for the core voltage, drop it back to stock, and straight away. Increasing the core voltage above stock ( 1.65v iirc for a 2400 ) is only used to make your overclock stable. You should always try to overclock your cpu as far as you can before you start to play with the core voltage. Only use more volts to attempt to get your cpu stable. More core volts will = more heat, and heat is your enimy! More core volts doesn't always = a greater overclock.

Sometimes the opposite is true. Over on my native forums, OCAU, we have had a discussion about undervolting to overclock, and results are interesting, to say the least! YMMV.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am not being a dick...but are you serious? You thought changing the voltage was going to oc your rig? rofles :D

Originally posted by 2Fresh
I am not being a dick...but are you serious? You thought changing the voltage was going to oc your rig? rofles :D

Maybe the dude did. He wouldn't now, that's for sure!

It might be funny, but without knowing, tekk2k has found out something, his cpu is pretty stable @ 1.85v core! Something that you need to know when overclocking. What's the max stable Vcore you can run, without heating up your cpu beyond stability!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Back