Need some Ryzen Opinions.

narsbars

2[H]4U
I am not up to speed on Ryzen and need to replace my current Intel 4690K system.
For used systems on the H I can see the 450s, the 370s, and the 570s. How do I limit my budget to $400.00 and still get the basics that will last a couple of years?
Is a 450/3600X good enough for me to see a difference in gaming? That is the lowest price combo I have been able to find but don't know the lifespan of the 450.
My other consideration was a 370/3600 non X on the Egg for $255.00 and then search for memory here.

So I guess my question is basically what do you suggest for a basic budget system that will be a noticeable upgrade from my current rig?

I am not up to speed on Ryzen and need to replace my current Intel 4690K system.
For used systems on the H I can see the 450s, the 370s, and the 570s. How do I limit my budget to $400.00 and still get the basics that will last a couple of years?
Is a 450/3600X good enough for me to see a difference in gaming? That is the lowest price combo I have been able to find but don't know the lifespan of the 450.
My other consideration was a 370/3600 non X on the Egg for $255.00 and then search for memory here.

So I guess my question is basically what do you suggest for a basic budget system that will be a noticeable upgrade from my current rig?

Depends on what games you're playing. Some games will have frame time issues with your 4690k, some won't. What are you playing?

450/3600x or even non x would be a good combo. The 550s have also been announced if you don't mind waiting. I've been considering going this route as well but decided to hold out one more gen.

I have a B450/3600 and a X570/3600x and I can't really tell the difference in day to day use. If you're really trying to limit yourself to under $400, you're basically looking at a B450/3600 non-x/16GB DDR4 3200 combo if you're buying new. Used, it all comes down to the deal you find.

Also, you might find a good combo deal on a cheaper X570 board with a 3600. That might also work. Pretty much every X570 board is decent since they built with the 3900/3950x in mind.

I would go something like B450 + 3600x, but there is only a 5% difference between the 3600 and 3600x, so if it's worth it if up to you. Can pick up both for around $285. Maybe an x470 if you wanted a bit higher, but unnecessary for a 3600 really. The only thing to be careful is to find a board with updated bios or someone with an older generation CPU to borrow to update. Since the 3000 series came out before the 400 series motherboards came out so if they have an old bios it won't work (same with x370).

450/3600x or even non x would be a good combo. The 550s have also been announced if you don't mind waiting. I've been considering going this route as well but decided to hold out one more gen.
Yeah, 550 I think it was June timeframe... Not positive though.

Depends on what games you're playing. Some games will have frame time issues with your 4690k, some won't. What are you playing?
Assasins Creed, a lot of them. Witcher 3, Just Cause 4 and a bunch of random games as they come up.

So far it looks like a 450 or 470 used if it has an updated bios and a 3600 non X.
Thanks for all of the help, you gave me some good ideas.

I would wait for this board, should be out in just a few weeks and it is INSANE value for the money. X570 gets you PCIe 4.0 support too. Look at these VRM temps in comparison to other boards.

Attachments

• vrm.PNG
    vrm.PNG
    269.4 KB · Views: 0
I would wait for this board, should be out in just a few weeks and it is INSANE value for the money. X570 gets you PCIe 4.0 support too. Look at these VRM temps in comparison to other boards.

Has threadripper quality vrm. I've been waiting to upgrade my b350 to this. Feels like it's never coming out 😭. Damn it corona.

I have a B450/3600 and a X570/3600x and I can't really tell the difference in day to day use. If you're really trying to limit yourself to under $400, you're basically looking at a B450/3600 non-x/16GB DDR4 3200 combo if you're buying new. Used, it all comes down to the deal you find.

Also, you might find a good combo deal on a cheaper X570 board with a 3600. That might also work. Pretty much every X570 board is decent since they built with the 3900/3950x in mind.
Even the Msi A-Pro? I was considering this mobo as I don't plan on overclocking. I have a 2700 but no mobo. I wonder if I should keep it for now and sell later or sell it now.

I was looking at both b450s and the cheapest x570 until the support fiasco. I think the a-pro can run the 3700x or 4700x without trouble (I.e. overheating, throttling etc.)? Maybe even a 3900x?

I think the 570-P might be the best overall pick but the pch fan needs third party software in order to control it. Many owners say it's fine. A few complain about the fan. The board is $$15 more than the MSI. If I went with a B450 mobo, my long-term plan would be to sell both mobo and cpu eventually to upgrade. Most are unavailable or on back order. The ones in stock, I am not interested in or the price is too close to an X570 board.

Even the Msi A-Pro? I was considering this mobo as I don't plan on overclocking. I have a 2700 but no mobo. I wonder if I should keep it for now and sell later or sell it now.

I was looking at both b450s and the cheapest x570 until the support fiasco. I think the a-pro can run the 3700x or 4700x without trouble (I.e. overheating, throttling etc.)? Maybe even a 3900x?

I think the 570-P might be the best overall pick but the pch fan needs third party software in order to control it. Many owners say it's fine. A few complain about the fan. The board is $$15 more than the MSI. If I went with a B450 mobo, my long-term plan would be to sell both mobo and cpu eventually to upgrade. Most are unavailable or on back order. The ones in stock, I am not interested in or the price is too close to an X570 board.

I wouldn't buy the a-pro tas the vrm is questionable

prime 570-p would be my budget choice.

Yeah, every x570 is OOS like everywhere what the hell is going on

AMD announced that the 4000 series CPUs will not be compatible with the X470,B450, or older chipsets which means the X570 boards are currently the only boards you can buy that have a future....

AMD announced that the 4000 series CPUs will not be compatible with the X470,B450, or older chipsets which means the X570 boards are currently the only boards you can buy that have a future....

Yeah, I'm familiar with that news but I didn't think it would cause every single x570 board to be out of stock :ROFLMAO:

I think I would hold out for the B550. The x570 boards are pricey and pretty much sold out right now anyway. I have an x570 board myself and it's the most I ever paid for a motherboard, but I do want the features it provides. Not sure the difference with the B550, but sounds like the one to go with for a budget system. If you don't care about being able to run a 4000 series Ryzen then you could go with a B450 board now.

Might get some really good deals on B450 boards that way. 3000 series can definitely hold you over for a couple three years and then just go to the new platform that's coming with a new socket and DDR5 memory (Zen 4?).

Might get some really good deals on B450 boards that way. 3000 series can definitely hold you over for a couple three years and then just go to the new platform that's coming with a new socket and DDR5 memory (Zen 4?).

It's another case where you're going to get 85% of the performance for 50% of the price (or less) once the 4000 series drops. I mean if I were smarter, I'd have all 1 generation old parts, notice a slight difference, and pocket the difference.

I think I would hold out for the B550. The x570 boards are pricey and pretty much sold out right now anyway. I have an x570 board myself and it's the most I ever paid for a motherboard, but I do want the features it provides. Not sure the difference with the B550, but sounds like the one to go with for a budget system. If you don't care about being able to run a 4000 series Ryzen then you could go with a B450 board now.
B550 sounds like it is going to be expensive. A new report listed MRSP of Asus B550 boards. The other makes only listed TBD for prices.
I wouldn't buy the a-pro tas the vrm is questionable

prime 570-p would be my budget choice.
If you're not overclocking, maybe the Msi board will be acceptable?
Check out this Ryzen 3/4/5 chipset gen Motherboard VRM ratings spreadsheet.

Helped me greatly in my latest Ryzen build.
It will be interesting when that is updated with B550 motherboards.
There may or may not be a pandemic going on that is interrupting supply chains globally.
What pandemic?

I would recommend saving some money and getting the non X 3600 instead, from what ive seen they both seem to top out at the same frequency for the most part. Also a B450/X470 board would be a good fit if you dont.cant wait for B550.

It's another case where you're going to get 85% of the performance for 50% of the price (or less) once the 4000 series drops. I mean if I were smarter, I'd have all 1 generation old parts, notice a slight difference, and pocket the difference.
This is exactly how I buy my upgrades... I don't need latest and greatest just something that does a really good job for low price. I still run a 1600 and will probably upgrade once 4000 series drops. Really depends on price, may get myself a 4000 series CPU (if zen2 prices don't come down quickly) or 3700x/3800x (if they drop considerably) and then upgrade my kids with some 3300x and 3600's with some b450's I'd they are cheap enough or b350's that have no future but work fine with lower core zen2's.

I would recommend saving some money and getting the non X 3600 instead, from what ive seen they both seem to top out at the same frequency for the most part. Also a B450/X470 board would be a good fit if you dont.cant wait for B550.

I have both of them and the X boosts to about 100Mhz more than the non-X leaving everything else alone. If you're going to manually OC, they probably will top out at a similar point.

At this point, you're ~2 weeks away from B550, so I don't know that I'd get a B450/X470 unless that's all you could find. If you're diligent, you should be able to pick up a B550 on launch day. After that, hard to say. Might be good availability, might not.

Back