Need some recommendations for antivirus

Protoform-X

[H]ard|Gawd
So... It's about that time again to change out AV on the work network. We've been having some trouble with Kaspersky slowing down our systems to an absolute crawl as of late, so I've started looking for a replacement.

Here's the ones I've tried with lackluster results:

Kaspersky WS 6 via Kaseya - Slows any computer down to an unbearable level.
Webroot SecureAnywhere - Causes instability in all of my workstations including bluescreening. Awesome. Also destroyed a SQL database that I had to recover from backup. Thank god for Datto..
Trendmicro - Slows the computer down more than I'm willing to accept. Really crushes performance on the older computers.

What should I try next? I was thinking Symantec, but they've been really iffy in the past. This is giving me a friggin headache... Thanks guys. :(

we have Symantec endpoint protection 11 and it killes the pc performance. I'm the only one who gets to remove it and use MSE because I share my torrent downloads from my home line with the admin :D

I have good luck with Forefront while managing and deploying it with SCCM.
I have also used Symantec and had issues with workstations removing themselves from the protected machines list, and thus falling out of management. However it has been some time since then.

I hope this helps!

Does anyone know the status of Nod32? To date that has been the only A/V package that was halfway decent to manage and behaved itself in a work environment.

Eset NOD32.....the new version 5 is out and it's been very good for my clients so far.

I've been a long time Eset reseller...since version 2.5x days. I have to admit I lost my faith in them a bit during some of the v4 versions....but they are back and back strong with v5. The management panel has some sweet new graphical(dashboard) features too...as to the status of your network.

I use Kaspersky but can't really recommend it right now.

Endpoint Security 8 is almost a year old and still has huge stability issues.

However, I'm still on KAV 6 MP4 and it's solid. The Security Center is a great stand-in network management tool in our SAMBA domain (non-AD).

I've have great luck with GFI's Vipre. Generally light on the client and very customizeable behavior. They actually just released a cloud-managed solution for MSPs and Environments on the go.

ESET Nod32 has worked well for me in the past..
Symantec if you want to keep yourself busy fixing it every week.

We use McAfee Security-as-a-Service and I'd say it's ok. Doesn't seem to be much of a performance hit, but the rest of the department (including my boss) doesn't really like it much.

We were thinking of switching to Avast (my recommendation) or Avira but their pricing was higher and that was shot down so we're sticking with McAfee. Oh well at least it's not Forefront. :D

Symantec is still an iffy product, I'm with Alex in giving a nod to Forefront Endpoint Protection or whatever Microsoft is calling it this week. You can remote push the installs and its a fairly lightweight client depending on which components are attached.

Alrighty... I just installed GFI and I'm going to test ESET after that... Maybe Forefront too. We'll see.. I've had bad experiences with Forefront in the past.

So far so good with performance on GFI.

I agree with YeOlde. I was starting to lose confidence in Eset but I like the direction they've taken with v5 and will continue to use it. There is one known issue which they are working on which deals with Windows XP machines using offline files in an active directory environment. Simply enter an exclusion for c:\windows\csc\*.* and the problem is eliminated. Only affects Windows XP machines and not Windows 7 and up. Eventually the problem will be fixed as I have actually assisted them with testing some unreleased versions. They are making progress on the problem.

I thought that I read that MS was axing much of the Forefront product line. Granted that they are condensing overlapping functionality to some degree, but it doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies for the future of the remaining programs in that line...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/...ng-changes-to-forefront-product-roadmaps.aspx

They are, however endpoint protection is getting rolled into another product line, I believe its called System Center or some such. If you ask your vendor they should know the specifics. (Unless its CDW, those guys can be retarded :p )

You can remote push the installs and.

That is a universal feature of pretty much 99.999% of the "business grade" antivirus products out there...they're managed from a centralized management console. Create custom install packages, uninstall, update, custom config files, create groups for different profiles, monitor each and every workstation, server, etc. All from one centralized management portal.

About 50 computers. I'm taking a look at it now. Are you using it?

Yes. Intune is the basis for Microsoft's future threat management efforts- it will bring SCCM to SMB and Enterprise as a cloud-hosted service. Don't forget the license for Microsoft's latest OS is included.

We use GFI Vipre on about 500 clients and it works great for our needs. The real power of it is in the agent customization.

I use NOD32 here and work in a development shop with many developers that will absolutely throw a fit if performance is slow while compiling source code. We've been using NOD32 for over 4 years now without any complaints in regards to performance.

The only issues I've ever had were in regards to .dat updates causing weird things to happen to client PC's and that's been sparse. It can't even compare to how badly McAfee updates have been taking down client PC's on a semi-regular basis :) .

Sophos - We deploy it to all of our sites and it works great. The console is easy to use and works pretty well.

Back