Need some purchasing advice.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
This post will probably be pretty simple for everyone. ;)

Here is what I own and much to my shock I'm coming up on five years of age. I'm going to pick my spot here pretty soon and replace/upgrade before I have a rude surprise.

Router: NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R7000) - AC1900

Modem: NETGEAR Cable Modem 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 Max Speed 960Mbps | Certified for XFINITY by Comcast, Spectrum, COX & More (CM600) (Spectrum here.)

This hardware has been sufficient for my needs as a frame of reference although I wouldn't mind going up the ladder a little bit on ability.

I'm a little stumped with AC2300, AC4000, and where the law of diminishing returns is. I see Tri Band. Things like this.

I see mesh networking and I'm looking into the pros and cons of that. I have been very happy with Netgear but I'm not married to them.

I'll spend what I have to without getting insane but I think you all get the idea. I just need help cutting through the hype and landing in that general sweet spot which I definitely feel like this gear was and even still is. Thanks. :)

It would be easier if we knew what area you were trying to cover, and why you feel your current setup is lacking.

Two basic points: first, you generally want your access points to be dispersed throughout the coverage area, and second, you generally want to move beyond consumer products when you build out.

But if what you have is working; you're not having issues accessing resources from wireless devices etc., then there's little reason to 'fix' it. As with all electronics, prices tend to go down and capabilities up, so buy when you actually need.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Back