Need some pro help with new ATI 5870 issue

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Running Windows 7 RTM x64

Video card is the new ATI 5870 ( XFX Flavor )

Video card driver is Radeon_HD5800_8.66RC6_Vista_Win7_Sep21

My problem is this.

After the video card driver was installed, and after the reboot, my screen was not scaled correctly. I had black boarders around the displayed imagine. Windows reports this sized as 1920 x 1080.

I was able to fix this in Windows XP SP2 by moving the "scaling" bar over to zero. However, I don't see that option.

Any pro help in this matter that would help me fix this would be much welcomed.

Oh this one took me a while. On the "Desktops and Displays" right click on your display in the lower left corner. Then choose configure. This will bring up many options that you can not get to in any other way that I know of. Go to the 'Scaling Options' tab and move the slider to 0%, all the way to the right. This will make things perfect. ATI doesn't want HDTV's that scale the image to not be able to view the entire image. The thing is I've never seen a HDTV that does scale the image!!

Last edited:
Oh this one took me a while. On the "Desktops and Displays" right click on your display in the lower left corner. Then choose condigure. This will bring up many options that I you can not get to in any other way that I know of. Go to the 'Scaling Options' tab and move the slider to 0%, all the way to the right. This will make things perfect. ATI doesn't want HDTV's the scale the image to not be able to view the entire image. The thing is I've never seen a HDTV that does scale the image!!

True, my HDTV (some early panasonic DLP model) has issues with both ATI and nVidia cards over HDMI.

All I can say is THANKS A TON ..... honestly.

It's FIXED!!!

I very much appreciate you digging into that problem.

Why is that option buried like that?

Because the CCC GUI designers at AMD are morons. ;) It took me a Google search to find this one myself, as I had the same issue with underscan on my projector.

Now I have another issue, if anyone has the answer, again, I will happy to say the least.

With Windows XP SP2, after installing the ATI 5870, I noticed that I didn't have any lag between say, World of Warcraft and hitting the windows key to cycle to the desktop. Took a fraction of a second. Boy did I love that.

But now, with Windows 7 RTM x64, there is a long pause that is annoying to say the least.

Anyone know how to fix this. I am assuming it's a refresh rate issue? I thought I saw that the windows drivers were using 59 hertz vs 60 that Windows 7 RTM x64 is using.

Anyone know a solution?

right-click desktop, screen resolution, advance settings , monitor, change to 60hz?

Appreciate the suggestions, really. Thanks.

But, no, that's not working. In fact, It's stuck at 60 and even when I select 59 or even try to force the change via "force" ... it reverts back to 60.

I am sure this can be fixed but it's going to take someone who has ran into this issue as well and found a solution.

I'm still digging around for a fix myself.

Ok ... somehow, I was able to fix the 2nd issue I had.

I went in to HD setup, added 1080p60 @ 60hz

also played around with a few other things, at first, the windows to WoW and when I cycled back to the desktop via the windows key was still slow.

But, after several minutes after I had given up, it start switching instantly.... so .. damn I fixed it but not sure how.

I have to admit, I am worried. I heard that added the wrong freq / times / etc can damage your monitor.

Anyone know what the heck happened? What I did exactly? And is it safe?

Who knows, but no amount of screen adjustment is going to fix input lag issues. Two completely different things.

I am not sure what "input lag" is exactly. Actually, let me go google it. BRB. Being serious.

Ok, 1 min later. I just pulled this was Wikipedia:

"Input lag is a phenomenon associated with some types of LCD displays, and nearly all types of HDTVs, that refers to latency, or lag measured by the difference between the time a signal is input into a display and the time it is shown by the display. This lag time has been measured as high as 68ms[1], or the equivalent of 3-4 frames on a 60 Hz display."

Ok I guess this kinda applies to me but doesn't at the same time.

My problem is when I want to go to my desktop, saying during a brief 30 - 1 min I might have in World of Warcraft between pulls or whatever, I like to hit the news up, my email, etc. Typically, when I do this, when pressing the windows key, this takes a fraction of a second.

But, as I said, with Windows 7 RTM x64 and the new ATI 5870, there is this horrible wait of 1.5 to 2 seconds, maybe 3 before it takes me to the desktop after pressing the windows key. I should also note that with the same hardware, but different OS and 32bit drivers, I didn't have this problem.

I'm starting to think Windows 7 RTM x64 and the drivers are not correctly setting the right settings for my monitor, etc.

Anyway out the that knows exactly what is happening with me?

How this is caused, and what fixes it?

Ok follow up, then my two big issues are resolved.

I am only posting cause these were tricky issues and I think posting about it might help others than run into the same problems I did.

it seems that windows 7 RTM x 64 and / or the drivers cannot make their mind up as to run my monitor at 59 or 60 hertz. In one area, I make the change, it automatically goes back to 60, as if it were being over-ridden, however in screen rez / advanced settings, I can pick 59 or 60, picking 59 causes the long annoying delay and 60 allows me to cycle game to desktop instantly.

Back