Need some help with Sonicwall and VoIP

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
I need some expert help when it comes to our firewall/router, the company I work at is using a ShoreTel phone system with a Sonicwall Pro VPN Router. Well I have not had to much hands on with Sonicwall as the actual person who set it up is more or less not in the office now so my boss asked me to handle it.
He was asking if our Sonicwall Pro 2040 needs to have VoIP compression turned on, or if we are even able to do so with this box as we also have two sites using VPN with ShoreTel phones on their ends.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

We installed 3 VoIP PBXs for a customer who has 3 site joined by SonicWall TZ180 VPNs. I ran into trouble using the SIP protocol features of the units. Basically, if I enabled any of the SIP features, I would experience call quality issues using IAX2 (Asterisk) trunks between the systems at each site. I did find a work around. With the TZ180s, you can prioritize all VPN traffic and reserve bandwidth. These VPN tunnels are only used for VoIP, and a few small telnet sessions. This allowed the VoIP traffic to be prioritized which fixed our call quality issues.

One set I would not recommend if you can avoid it is having a phone use a proxy across the VPN. One or two phones MAX can work this way, but more than that and you will likely encounter problems.

Unfortunately our VPN is for the ShoreTel phones to communicate with the server itself and then also allow access to our servers for pulling up usually small files but still network browsering.

Unfortunately our VPN is for the ShoreTel phones to communicate with the server itself and then also allow access to our servers for pulling up usually small files but still network browsering.

You can try it, but don't be surprised if you run into call quality issues. I'm not familiar with ShoreTel, so I don't know if they use SIP or not for VoIP. I would definitely try a proof of concept before a larger deployment in order to make sure it works properly.

Back