Need some help with how to set up 3-4 displays

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello [H],

I would like to set up a triple monitor or quad monitor setup for trading securities.

I already have 2 Dell 2001FPs running on a 9800Pro 128mb. I have a fairly old computer. It's a 2 x 1.6LV Xeon @ 3.0 using a Asus PC-DL.

Do you guys think I will need to build a new rig if i were to purchase a dell 30 inch screen or two more 20 inch screens? I am leaning towards the 30 inch screen with my 2 2001FPs.

What would you suggest I do to set this up? What type of video card setup would i need?

I do not play games very often or at all. I mainly surf, trade, surf, watch movies.

-MTXR

Options are to either invest in multiple video cards or something like a Matrox Triplehead. A system upgrade would probably also be halpful. (If you're successfully trading, you should be able to do better than that rig.) I love my three Samsung 21" LCD's and Triplehead DE. It not only allows me to run triple monitors for "work," but it also lets me play a lot of games across all three displays.

yes, i will consider building a new rig if i need to for support of the 3 or more monitors.

I haven't seen the need to build a new rig until now to support the displays.

so if i were to build a new rig, would i need a dual dvi card to just power the 30 inch panel? If i were to purchase an SLI set up would i be able to use 4 monitors or 3 with it having an extended windows desktop?

I am concerned if i purchased an SLI setup that i would have a cloned image on each screen.

A 30" display only uses one DVI output. Dual-link doesn't mean there are two cables. You should be fine with your current setup, except you'll need a second video card. Just get a PCI card.

Not all cards support dual-link DVI, and I'm don't know if any PCI card supports it.

I'm not very confident that the 9800 supports dual-link.. and currently can't remember an affordable PCI one that does.
You'll probably have to exchange the AGP card for a slightly newer one supporting dual-link DVI. (X1650 Pro, HD 2600 Pro, HD 3650)
And add a PCI card to drive the 3rd and maybe 4th monitor.

If you are any good at financial trading get a new machine. I run four 30 inch panels for financial applications using two nvidia 8800 cards. The current drivers just need a change in control panel setting to turn off SLI and enable the desktop across the panels. the older drivers required pulling the bridge between the cards.

Yes, i will be looking into possibly building a new rig. I don't want to spend money if i don't have to, because i could use the money for trading. :)

Thanks for helping me clear up my situation. I was unsure if i needed two connections for the 30 inch screen.

Buy new. Seriously.
If your current computer is fast enough, any C2D or Athlon64 X2 -based setup would be sufficient.
You do not need to spend more than $5-600 on the computer itself.
Example: http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200803.ars/2 (you need to subtract a bit, like the overkill graphics and the screen).
Oh, and you obviously need a pair of graphics cards to handle more than two screens.

So i am guessing i need a "dual Link" card, so that each dvi/vga port can power its own monitor.

Therefore i then would only need 2 video cards to run 4 monitors.

So far it seems the 8800 series would be the way to go.... correct?

Dual Link is only needed for the 30" screen.
For the 2001FPs you only need a DVI connector for each.
Of course, you might upgrade with additional 30" displays in the future... But you know that best.

Ahh... I see that wikipedia page helped a lot..

I see the difference between single and dual link now. Interesting...

Once again thanks to everyone...

I'll have to start narrowing things down.

Back