Need some help with high temps on H100i / 3930k

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I was rendering out an image yesterday and got a warning that my temperatures had exceed 85C and looking at my Asus monitoring software saw that my processor had throttled down from it's 4.4 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz. I pulled open my case and discovered my radiator was covered with a solid film of dust, and using some compressed air to clean things out. The thing is, my temperatures haven't dropped at all though. My rig used to idle at 35 C, whereas now it is 50 C with the two fans set as exhaust on the top of the radiator maxed out at 2600 RPM. Running Prime 95, temps almost instantly hit 90+ whereas they used to hit no higher at my 70 C when I first was doing stability tests and was running the processor at 4.8 Ghz. I have tried reseating the H100i block with no success either. Any ideas on where to look for the cause of the temperature increase? Could my chip have become degraded over the past year? The highest volts it has seen is 1.38 volts at the 4.8 overclock. Thanks in advance for any help!

temps.jpg

A screenshot of my machine at idle. Anything CPU intensive sends the temperatures 90+ instant and causes my CPU to throttle.

How would I tell? it says it is operating at 2200 RPM. One thing that is strange, is that although my reservoir temps change when I ramp up my fans, my CPU stays at 50C whether my H100 fans are set at silent or max performance. This strikes me as odd.

you maybe suffered the same issue that happened to me with my first H100i one year ago.. the pump its working that's why its reporting correctly the speed but maybe the pump blades are loose, thats mean the water ins't moving correctly through the radiator..

you maybe suffered the same issue that happened to me with my first H100i one year ago.. the pump its working that's why its reporting correctly the speed but maybe the pump blades are loose, thats mean the water ins't moving correctly through the radiator..

I've read a few other threats with people having the exact same problem. Since the motor is still turning it makes it difficult to diagnose, but it's definitely a possibility.

Not sure how to explain how your temps used to be low, and now all of the sudden spiked.

How is the backplate mounted?

I noticed that I had my backplate mounted wrong. It should be mounted like this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h100i_review,6.html

I looked back at my instructions and nowhere in the instructions did it mention about making sure the mounting plate is lined up correctly, with the indentation aligned with the two back screws.

Just something I thought I should share, I had the exact same problem, and when I correctly mounted my backplate temps dropped to 77C max.

Thanks for the responses guys. I felt the pump and I can barely feel any movement or vibration, but I can feel vibrations in the tubing although both lines seems warm. I tried tilting my case in case there might have been a bubble or something, but this didn't seem to affect temps either. Very confused. I am now running my chip at default speeds of 3.2 and temps remain the same. I'll take a look see at my backplate to see how I mounted it.

Try unplugging the block. If the temps remain the same you'll know there's something wrong with the pump.

Well not sure what it was I did, but it seems to be working much better now. I thought that with the heat generated from all my hard drives and SLI video cards that maybe configuring the fans as intake on the top instead of an exhaust might be better at pulling in cool air. I also tried reseating the pump yet once again. I noticed the machine was much happier even at boot. Instead of hearing the howl of all my fans, it was whisper quiet, and running back at 4.5 Ghz my idle temp at BIOS is around 33C, and running Prime95 for the past ten minutes my temps peak at 69C and drop to mid 60's once the fans spin up . I don't know if there was a bubble in the system somewhere, or what the fix was that did it, but thankfully it seems to be working much better now! I can't believe how quiet it is running again!

hmm, vaporlocked an air bubble in there somewhere? seems odd on a closed system like that though. I'd pay attention to it the next couple of days myself and see if there's any rise in temps again.

Do you have something on your loop that can show the water flow ?
Maybe some bubbles inside the radiator/block ?

'Fraid not seize. The tubing is the stock opaque black that came with the kit. Anyways, intake definitely seems to be the way to go with my case layout as my temps are even lower than before with the two radiator fans barely going above 1500 RPM. Much quieter, and much cooler than before.

Well damnit, back to the same temps again this evening. Noticed my fans ramping up this afternoon, and this evening my idle temps are back up to 50 - 55C and load temps are 90+ again. Going to call Corsair in the AM and see if they can help me out.

Well damnit, back to the same temps again this evening. Noticed my fans ramping up this afternoon, and this evening my idle temps are back up to 50 - 55C and load temps are 90+ again. Going to call Corsair in the AM and see if they can help me out.

Did you try unplugging the pump to see if anything changed?

Well, I can unplug the pump and temps remain the same. Unfortunately the local computer shop said they are not going to honor the warranty on the H100i as I was honest that I had overclocked the machine. :( Going to call Corsair and see if their warranty coverage allows for overclocking with the device, or if I am out of luck.

Corsair will cover the warranty no matter if you overclock or not... its a device made for overclocking purposes.. and of course no matter what the people at the local store say they have the possibility of charge with the warranty or refuse it because if you remember the box of the h100i there are a paper that said do not return this product to the store contact directly corsair for any problem. and in the warranty manual say corsair are in charge of any RMA process and warranty cover, do not worry about say you was overclocking because overclocking have nothing to do with the cooler its just brainless to think overclock will damage a cooler.. again i have to say i think your issue was the same that happened to me the blades in the pump may be loose and stop to flow correctly the water inside the loop.. you will be fine with the RMA process when it happened to me corsair didn't even ask too much, just sent me a new sealed unit and I asked to tell me what was the issue with my unit, and more or less within a week they sent me a email detailing it was the pump blade loose..

Thanks Araxie. Yes, there is a reason I have almost all Corsair components in my case; their customer service is second to none, and now that I know what the problem is it should be a relatively painless experience in dealing with them.

Just a heads up for those considering the H100i, this is the first time I have been let down by Corsair hardware. As I need my machine for work, I paid a rush fee of an extra $80 per hour service time to the local computer store to get my machine looked at in regards to the high temperatures. $230 later, I got word back from the service department that the temps given by Prime 95 and Intel burn don't represent real world temps, and that the 90+ temps are in the normal range for a 3930k with an H100i if any sort of overclocking has taken place. They reversed the fans back to exhaust instead of intake and have said that everything is functioning within specifications. In addition, they said that any sort of dual video card setup is not recommended without aftermarket cooling with one of Intels Hex core processors as the combined thermal will cause overheating. :( So at the end of the day, apparently the H100i is not enough to cool a 3930K, even at stock speeds if you have a SLI setup. I am going to put the stock Intel heatsink on tomorrow and hope that it can cope with the heat better than this apparently ill thought out choice for a cooler.

you paid to fool people.. thats the greatest and bigger stupid answer ever, you know what its funny? the h100i really shines all it cooling potential with bigger chips like the 3930k and all the socket 2011 chips, because the heatsink surface area its greater in socket 2011 so the h100 can and work way better cooling bigger chips like that.. definitelly those aren't normal temperatures for that chip, and aren't working in the specifications, i have a 3930K overclocked to [email protected] with a h100i and i do not even touch a max temp of 80C in a 28~30C room temp under P95 and Aida64 FPU Test.. they should refund all your money for being dumb people... you even have the experience of that chip before the problem does not even pass from 70C.. they lied only to collect some money and justify the pay..

Yea, you just got ripped off.

1.) Get your money back from the shop, or threaten to sue.
2.) Put the chip back to stock for now and use a basic cooler.
3.) Call Corsair. Get the H100 RMA'd. There is no reason why it shouldn't be handling your CPU.

That shop clearly reamed you hard to troubleshoot a simple heat issue. Anything above 85c+ isn't "Normal", it's more of a 'ohh sh**, maybe I should see if I can improve those temps.. what's causing it too hit soo high".

Currently have a Intel 3820 (@ 4Ghz) with a Corsair H100i in a spare rig & it sits on max 55c* with a 30c ambient room temp. Stock Corsair Fan speeds are 1600RPM/1800RPM & are Intake from the top of the case. Sitting inside a Fractal Arc Midi R2 in a corner with low airflow from anything else, so your concern is too first find a new local store (if of course your not up to fixing it yourself) & then contact Corsair IMMEDIATELY to arrange an RMA.

Also with Socket 2011 motherboards you don't need to use the back plate that comes with the Corsair H80/H80i/H100/H100i coolers. Socket 2011 have their own back plates you thread onto.

I have a h60 on my 3930k in a rack mount case and it keeps it cool at 4.4ghz with no promblem. They lied to you at the store. Big time.

Just wanted to update this thread to say that contrary to what the local computer shop says, the H100i is more than capable of cooling a 3930k. My replacement cooler arrived today and my idle temps have dropped to low 30's at 4.4Ghz and load temps are now in the low sixties, only a couple of degrees warmer than my old idle temperature at stock speeds. Hopefully the pump on this unit last longer than the last one!

yeah i told you, in that local computer shop people are fools, glad to hear you are fine now, and probably that unit serves you well for a long time, my second unit after the same issue its still working after more than 1 year and its working as day one....

Back