need some help with dell inspiron

lukeh182

Gawd
my friend brought over his dell inspiron 1100 series lappy b/c it won't turn on. i haven't been able to figure out the problem. the power light displays green but then nothing happens. no post screen no activity whatsoever. i tired looking for the cmos battery to reset it but i can't find it. reseated the ram still nothing. anyone have any ideas?? i may resort to calling *shudder* tech supprt *shudder*

I'm having the same problem with my Inspiron 2600. I've done everything humanly possible to it and it still doesn't want to turn on. I'm afraid the motherboard is probably dead. :(

Mine didn't have a CMOS battery and I'm not sure the 1100s have one either.

Unless you have a warranty, forget about tech support, they'll just tell you to take out each component and see if one of them is the culprit.

Not over the phone, no. I talked to a few of them in the Dell Support forums.

Try removing everything that you can from the lappy - floppy, hard drive, optical drive, mini-pci card, pcmcia card, - but leave in ram, cpu, and mobo. Normally in situations like this it's a bad motherboard.

Sad way to go really. Those motherboards aren't worth replacing either. I wish you the best of luck.

thanks. good thing it's still under warranty i guess. he just got it last fall before school so it should still be covered

That will be your saving grace then. As far as I've read, Dell is really good with replacements and etc, if it wasn't user error.

Back