need some help on a 3500+ oc

rabiddawgs

Limp Gawd
ok guys i need some help here.
i have been running this motherboard/cpu for a little while now. had some probs at first but got it working ok.
abit makes the fsb at 204 from the factory. everytime i went to play bf2 it would crash to desktop. so i lowered the fsb to 200. the game plays great, no more problems.

i have recently decided to overclock some so i tried to just raise the fsb to 210 and it would load the first bios load screen then all i would get in the upper lefthand corner is a "_" flashing.

not sure if some of my voltages are correct or not but i will list them ( and what i mover them to at 210)along with my mem settings.
cpu 1.40 (1.45)
agp 1.55
ddr 2.6 (2.7)
nb 1.5
sb 2.5
htt 1.2

had ldt bus freq original set to 5x but mover to 4x when i oced

i did not change any ram timings at all. i had originally had this set to auto but found it was not reading the proper settings for my ram. i have always had it set to auto with past computers. the new ram i got just doesnt report the correct timings

CAS lat time - 2.0
row cycle time - 11
row refresh cycle time - 13
RAS# to CAS# delay - 3
RAS# to RAS# - 2
min RAS# active time - 8
RAS# precharge time - 3
write recovery time - 3
write to read delay - 2
read to write delay - 4
DRAM command rate - 1
burst length - 4 beats
32 bit dram mem hole - auto
mtrr mapping mode - continuious

some other settings im not sure of are
pci/vga palette snopp - disabled
pci latency timer (clk) - 32

another problem that i have had is i get some artifacts in bf2 like ppipe looking lines coming off the tanks. i had a screen shot but lost it.
i tried alot of difernt drivers but still had it.
i tried unistall/reinstall bf2 and it seemed to help a little but its still there.

i had the ram problem before the ram upgrade to 2gb. my old ram was corsair xms 3200xl tccd 2x512.

almost all my specs are in my sig but my psu 12 volt line which is 26 amp.

im not sure if its the psu or some settings wrong.

your help is greatly appreciated.
dawg

I doubt it's your ram, but you could try setting all your voltages back to normal (cpu, ram), and change your HTT multi to 4x (sounds like that's the ldt bus freq), and drop 1 divider down on your ram, it'll be either 166mhz or 333mhz. Ram divider options should be on the same screen that you set teh fsb on. Something like DRAM frequency, I'm not to familiar with your motherboard. Then start upping the fsb and see what happens.

you want to find your top oc first. lower your ht bus to 2 or 3 that way it will have no problems with running over speed. have your ram running in as small a ration as possible and boost the northbridge a little. then overclock the cpu as high as possible and that will show you your most unbridled overclock as it can't be the bus, ram, or the northbridge at least for a while. I'm running a amd 3000+ venice stock at 1.8 at 2.6 right now and it's been steady as a rock and that's the method I use to see how high my system goes it's worked well for me in the past as well.

well i tried to follow eclipse guide to overclocking.
i installed clockgen and that basically screwed up my system for while. not sure what i did or if it doesnt work well with the av8 (not listed in the motherboard list at the clockgen site) i used the undetrmined setting like it said. at first it had my fsb to 240. which i thought cool. then i rebooted and it wouldnt do anything. went into bios and it had my fsb at like 967 and it said my cpu speed was 10571. not sure what happened but i manually tried setting back to what i had it to before and i would hit save and exit and all i got was a black screen.
i the tried to load the default settings and got the same thing.
getting rather pissed so i left for awhile and came back to it.
reset the cmos and retried. all is good back at the settings i had before.
is there a list somewhere that tells me what ic this motherboard uses so i can use clockgen or is there another program i can use to adjust everything.

and when i tried to adjust my fsb up to 210 i did have the htt at 4x.

im not sure whats going on
dawg

yeah i have that installed. over at the abit forums almost everyone says not to use it at all.

i tried to put it at 203 fsb today and ran prime98 didnt get past the first test before it failed. not sure whats going on.
2morrow i might try and aet my mem to cas 2.5 and retest.
how much of a performance hit would i take by going to cas 2.5?

well i guess i made a little bit of a noobie mistake. i kept getting errors in memtest so i moved them over to 3&4 slots and all is good but the mem still wont overclock above 200.
when it was in slots1&2 i even set it to ddr333 still go the errors.
i droppped the ram the ddr333 and started to up the htt.
right now my htt is at 230 mem is at 180 htl is at 921 amd cpu is at 2532 mhz.
have run memtest for 10 hours at this setting and all is good so far.
cpu is at 1.4 volts mem i bumped to 2.7
all other voltages and mem timings arethe same.
hopefully i can get the mem back to 200 mhz.

my temps at idle are at 28 and i think under load are about 40. im going to check now.
by the way im running the stock a64 opteron hsf that has the 4 heatpipes on the same side.

thanks
dawg

hmm where should i start now.

i have been upping everything and memtest was not showing any errors. got up to 235 htt i think ram was at 185 or so.

i tried to run prime95 and got errors within like 1 min.
tried adjusting timings and voltages. ddr to 2.8 cpu to 1.45 set cas to 2.5. still got the errors.

i thought what the hell i will stick it all back to stock settings. mem at 2.7 cpu 1.4 cas to 2 and 2.5 htl back to 5x htt at 20 1:1 with ram.

reran prime 95 and i still get the error just as fast.

what gives. what could be wrong. this is starting to piss me off. my bf2 runs great at the 235 htt and the cpu at 2583 or so.

if there is a setting that could cause this ask me and i will tell you what it is at. i just done know what to list on here for settings. if need be i will list everything.

thank
dawg

rabiddawgs said:
what gives. what could be wrong. this is starting to piss me off. my bf2 runs great at the 235 htt and the cpu at 2583 or so.
how much do you have to lower the cpu speed until prime95 stops erroring?

i have not lowered it to below the stock settings. i will try that tonight.

on another note with it. after i set everything back down last night. it started to reboot on its own. i am also getting some internet explorer errors, windows errors and a dr watson error.
i just dont know what after i lowered the overclock back to what specs are im having the reboot problem. i even updated my bios from 24 to 27 and reset the cmos.
i might try and move my ram back to slots 1&2.

im running mem test again at the stock settings.

i put a dvom on it last night and checked the 12 and 5 volt rails and they are at 11.98 and 5.01.
still have to check the 3.3 rail but in the abit program its reading 3.35. i know its software based but i will check it with the dvom 2nite.

thanks
dawg

this *really* sounds like a motherboard issue of some sort.. not being prime stable at stock mhz, but games being fine at ~2.6ghz :confused:

granted.. it IS a via chipset, so i wouldn't expect you to be able to do much more than 240mhz htt in the first place, but jeez, it should at least behave normally at stock mhz.
when you set everything back down, did you just reset the bios or manually change settings back to stock?

at first i just set everything back down manually. thats when it started.

a friend who works on computers told me to update the bios. so i did. reset cmos. and still did the random reboots.

hmmm, do you have a spare video card sitting around, like a pci card or something?

i have a ti 4200 in the kids computer i could rob out of it and test with.

do you think that it could maybe be a psu problem. its an antec true 430 with 26 amp 12 volt line. there were some problems with antec psu's and the abit av8 boards.

it's *possible* though i had an antec true430 for a while, along with a 6800gt... it seemed to do pretty well, but was definitly near the limit of it's power output

hmmm well i wanted to try and put everything back to the way it was. looked for and found the settings i had written down when i first got it all going. everything was the same except i had the ram in slots 1/2. moved them back and have been running prime for almost 4 hours now stable no errors.

i will try and do the oc again on those ram slots after prime95 runs for about 8 hours to make sure,

i have also had no auto reboots too..... wooooot.

i hope this fixes it.

thanks for the help guys. i will keep you posted on this.

well i didnt have much time to play with it this weekend. but it back to being stable.
i started to do the overclock. the ram doesnt seem to want to go past ddr400 at all.
i applied the ddr333 multi on the ram.
i have the htt up to 210 right now and am running memtest right now.
the way this board is so picky i am going to run mem test for about 8 hours and the same for prime 95.
hopefully i can get this thing up to about 2.6 or so on the stock cooling.(well the 4 heatpipe opteron hsf)

thanks
dawg

so far i have gotten the htt to 230 mem is at 189 (i think) with a 4x htl. so thats about 2530 mhz. i kept getting prime errors at this speed but every time i up the vcore i get a little further in prime.
i have had to up my vcore to 1.5. is this normal? as i have seen other not have to up it until they get to about 250 htt. how high can i put the vcore and still be ok on air cooling and safe?
my mem voltage is still at 2.7.
but other then that seems to be going good.
when i had the vcore at 1.475 i was idleing at 27 degrees. not sure what load temp was but i think it was right around 44 or so. so the temps have been very good. if they r correct.
gonna keep pushing it i would like to get my mem back to about 200.

dawg

Back