Need some help deciding route to take- pfsense, xpenology

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
Current hardware configuration:
2 Hosts- DL380 G6 2xE5540, 64GB
1 MSA- 2012sa 12x300GB Raid 6
ISP- 60dwn/6up (Max i can get in my area is 100/10) I would like to plan config for UPTO this. If it can support more, great but 100/10 would be ideal support.

Storage setup I would use for Xpenology
I have 3x2TB and 6x1TB. The boards max at 6ports. I am OK with not using them all. My plan would be to use whatever configuration I can to get enough space + growth and then use the rest for backups. It would be awesome If I was able to buy a bunch of 2TB+ drives to throw in the MSA. This would simplify things.

Standby "host". Looking to maybe use one of these
1-Desktop- Q9450, 8GB (OS would be on whatever, hdd, ssd, usb..). I was looking to swap out the Q for a E6600 or 6400series for a little power saving and less overkill.
--Was thinking use this for pfsense OR Xpenology on baremetal install

My concern with putting both with esxi on the Q9450 is the 8GB limit. I would only do a 1:1 allocation. I've not looked into this setup if it would be enough resources, especially if having to transcode before sending media.

2-Server- S5500BC w/2x E5506, 28GB. Ideally this would be a 3rd esxi host. I would only run pfsense and xpenology. I know this would be overkill but better than restriction of Q9450. Using this host for pf and xpen only would make for easier config, especially pf for the wan/lan port configs.

For PFsense. Am I overthinking the resource usage? I'm thinking 2core and 4GB would be too little when paired with vpn. VPN would be nothing crazy, more for my use and messing around with a co-worker in another state doing testing/learning.

Same for Xpen. I know the one my friend/coworker got has the quad core in it due to transcode resource needs. I think it is also configured with 8gb. If I stream from my setup remotely, I will likely need to do this due to bandwidth restrictions.

I think I covered everything. If not, please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Outlaw

Back