Need some help: Brand new GTX260 problem

sequoia

Limp Gawd
All,
I just got my EVGA GTX 260. I tried to play COD4, and the temp went straight to 90-100C with fans blowing at 100% according to Precision software. Then in a few minutes of playing, my computer crashed. I have to reboot to recover.

Is this means my video card has a problem or something else in my system. I have the system running for the last 6 months with a different video card, and been working ok.

Spec is Antec 900, Antec Quattro 850 watts, 4GB RAM, Q6600, Abit IP35E, DELL 2407. I am using the latest NVIDIA driver 178.24.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!
Chris

Take the side off and see if the fan is actually spinning. It could be reporting %100 when it's actually stuck on something.

If your card is going straight to that high of a temp it's RMA time. My 280 tops out at no more than low 60's under full load.

Take the side off and see if the fan is actually spinning. It could be reporting %100 when it's actually stuck on something.
This.
And if its actually spinning full speed , then it sound like an RMA is in order

I should have mentioned earlier, yes the fan is spinning. It sounded really loud and I peek at it to make sure.

Thanks guys for the advice! EVGA - I am calling you first thing Monday morning :)

Man that sucks that I got to send my card away. I was really looking forward for this...
Chris

i am not sure if the hs/f on the 260 is bolted on or attached some other way. inspect it to make sure its not cocked, or not making good contact. how are the temps when you are not gaming? are you sure evga tech support is not open on weekends, or maybe they have a live chat or something? you can post on their boards and/or the nvidia boards in one of the card-specific forums.

i am not sure if the hs/f on the 260 is bolted on or attached some other way. inspect it to make sure its not cocked, or not making good contact. how are the temps when you are not gaming? are you sure evga tech support is not open on weekends, or maybe they have a live chat or something? you can post on their boards and/or the nvidia boards in one of the card-specific forums.

Thanks for the advice!
I just called EVGA. He told me to try to install the side fans on my Antec 900 (supposed to help a lot) or RMA. Problem is that I can not install the fan due to orientation of my heatsink, but I can probably temporarily place a fan outside the case and re-test to make sure that I have enough air flow. I dont want to move my HS unless it is absolutely necessary. I thought that antec 900 with 2x12 cm input fans, 12 cm and 20 cm output fans should be enough, apparently not?

Does installing the side fan by the window makes that much difference, or should I just RMA the card and be done with it? Btw, room temp is about 70F, if that makes any difference. Temp when not gaming is 50-52F.

Sorry if this is dumb question, but I have never own high end card, so this is all new for me. Also this is my first build, still got a lot to learn....

Thanks
Chris

Back