Need some good closed headphones, suggestions?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I need a set of headphones for work, so they need to be closed so I dont disturb the people working near by and so they dont disturb me with their non-stop fidgeting!

They also need to be really comfortable, as I'll be wearing them for long periods of time.

Any suggestions? Looking in the $100-150AUD price range. (I'm in Australia)

At home I use HD650s going into a Xonar ST, though I'm not expecting that sort of quality. I do have a set of HD280s but they crush my skull and aren't comfortable for more than half an hour. Beyond that, considering some Sennheiser HD438s or Audio Technica A700's, though I can't find a good supplier in Australia for the A700s, there's a few places that sell HD438s.

I think IEMs are a good option for work. Lots of people around me use them.

I use these:

http://store.audeoworld.com/shared/...reType=BtoC&Count1=780941188&Count2=698081612

Phonak Audeo PFE (the Perfect Fit models) and would highly recommend them. I use the HD600s at come connected to a dedicated headphone DAC and Amp, and my PFEs still impress me for the price.

Though I just noticed that they went up by $20 in the last few weeks. Maybe they are still cheaper elsewhere.

Hmm, I've never found IEMs all that comfortable, though I haven't tried a good set for any extended period of time. That set looks to be about $200 AUD which is a bit over my budget, anything a bit cheaper? I really dont know anything about what IEMs are around. I wouldn't want to spend too much on IEMs in case I find I can't get used to them.

I am receiving my Audio Technica m50 this week, I will let you know how they compare to my AT AD700.

AKG 701s are also nice in that general price range. HD650s are excellent.

I am receiving my Audio Technica m50 this week, I will let you know how they compare to my AT AD700.

Cheers, let me know. I was actually considering the AD700 as a shop near me has a set going (relatively) cheaply. But I figured I'd go for something closed instead.

AKG 701s are also nice in that general price range. HD650s are excellent.

AKG 701s are well out of the price range and also they aren't closed ;)

Go try the AD700s. You will not find a more comfortable headphone in your price range.

The audio technica m50s are quite excellent for their price. They have a huge boost at 17-20khz which turns me off but they are otherwise pleasant, easy to drive and very punchy.

I have had my AT M50s for a few days now and my impressions are very positive. For reference, I have ATH-AD700s at home and at work, Sony MDR7506s and MDR-V6s are pretty standard. I bought the AT M50s so that I don't annoy the wife while listening to music and playing games, and so that her friends don't annoy me when they are over. Going from one to the other is pretty transparent as far as sound goes. They sound very similar to me, with the M50s having a slightly smaller sound stage, but at certain bass frequencies it really thumps hard. It isolates better obviously, and I definitely like them better than either Sonys that I have at work. Not nearly as comfortable as the AD700s, but can still be worn for long periods of time. If you have a large dome, the clamping pressure might be too strong.

Rock music M50 > AD700
Other music AD700 > M50
(I don't listen to rap so no opinion on that)
Gaming AD700 > M50
Comfort AD700 > M50
Isolation M50 > AD700

I have yet to watch movies. Note that my M50s have not have time for burn in yet, so things might change. Overall, though, I am happy with my purchase since I needed good headphones for plane travel this summer, and the AD700 were not practical for that.

newster, how would you compare the m50, ad700 with the v6?

I haven't directly compared them since at work I mainly use the Sonys for audio mixing with completely different equipment, so a fair comparison cannot be made yet. I will try to sneak a pair home this week to try it on my home system and I will let you know.

Back