Need some Feedback on an up coming build

V3|!UM

Limp Gawd
So my OC'd 2600k is starting to show its age and has been flaking on me lately. The following is what I am looking to get my primary usage will be gaming and streaming that's about it. The last PC lasted me 8yrs and hoping to get something similar out of this one. I will be buying everything closer to BF, your help is appreciated..

Intel 9900k
Asus Maximus Hero VI
32gb ram (Does the memory frequency matter here? CL vs hz?)
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC3 (Have from current PC, I see one for sale $200 worth going SLI?)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB
PSU I am still up in the air on
Case will be something basic with good airflow as it sits under my table and will have little wow value
Creative A5 (Have from current PC)
and a bunch of HD's I have.

Don't try to build for eight years. You'll just be throwing money into a box that in a few years will be underwhelming relative to current anyways. Aim for about three and consider anything more you get out of it a bonus. Save a bunch of cash not trying to build a god-box and put that towards something else now or better/newer components (e.g., GPU upgrade) in a couple years.

Get the i7-9700k instead. Cheaper and just as viable for a gaming box. 100 MHz, hyperthreading, and a tad more L3 cache in the 9900k are meaningless here.

32 GB RAM is total overkill for a gaming box, go 16 GB (8x2) instead. Unless you plan to overclock just get what the CPU supports as standard (2666 IIRC).

For the hundredth time, NVMe has no real-world benefit over SATA. Look at the 860 Evo, Crucial MX500, etc. (or just reuse your current SSDs).

You don't list your display stats, so it's hard to judge the GPU setup. That said, SLI is a bit of a kludge and a single, more capable unit is always better. (Not sure I'd trust a $200 GTX-1080, it was probably abused in a mining rig.)

A gold-rated PSU in the 600W range is plenty for a single GPU setup (assuming as it has all the proper connectors). Seasonic is always a safe choice.

Lol i may have overstated the 8 years part. I do usually upgrade pieces along the way. My other question would be more geared towered the platforms. Would I be better off going with AMD 2700X and upgrading the cpu down the line?
With the 9900k im wondering if this is the end for that platform and a new one will be releasing next year (socket / chipset functions)..

Lol i may have overstated the 8 years part. I do usually upgrade pieces along the way. My other question would be more geared towered the platforms. Would I be better off going with AMD 2700X and upgrading the cpu down the line?
With the 9900k im wondering if this is the end for that platform and a new one will be releasing next year (socket / chipset functions)..

There's no value in upgrading down the line if you buy a 2700x today. Zen 2 is expected to use the same 8 cores, with maybe 10-15% more IPC. So not a tempting upgrade.

Coffee Lake refresh is likely to be the last CPU release for this platform.

So no, you won't be "upgrading" the CPU without a full motherboard upgrade. And for one that is actually worth the money for you? that won't be coming for at least four years.

Don't expect miracles here. Intel has only been able to jump the core count up quickly because they've been sitting on these small die sizes for years. They're hitting a wall on die size they can sell affordably now.

Back