Need some assistance regarding fiber

troisanh

[H]F Junkie
Ok so got some fiber internet from new ISP. Can anyone recommend me an aftermarket modem; ISP is ALLO.

Basically i want to run my Unifi switch and APs bypassing the ISP's combo modem/router. Guess i will give them call on Monday and check.

Call your ISP and see which ones they support is the best way to go.

They may not support any customer owned modems. Like Charter, they are asshats like that.

Most likely you can not use your own "modem" on a FTTH install. Depending on how they set things up. You might be able to replace the router they supply you with if. But sometimes they won't give you a public IP behind their modem. In that case you'll be double NAT'd and you really do not want this.

Then it gets more WAY complicated if you have TV over their fiber.

If you can provide more information about what they installed maybe someone can help, they don't provide much information on their website about how they install their service.

Typically they install an ONT in your house and sometimes an ethernet cable to a separate router. Maybe something you can try is if the router has a wan port that has an ethernet cable connected to it plug that into a laptop or something and see if you get a public IP, if you did you can put whatever router you want on there then, unless you have TV.

If so, since you already have a unifi switch/ap get the USG for routing. You can still hang the unifi switch off a LAN port of their router and connect your ap's to that. You might even be able to turn off their wifi on the router so that you just have/see the unifi ap's. But you might be stuck with their router.

Which ISP? AT&T switched me from copper DSL to fiber. I did have a modem in bridge mode. Can't do that with the new one. Was able to put my firewall appliance in the DMZ of the AT&T modem and achieve much the same thing as the old bridge mode did. Had to switch a setting or two in the modem for everything to work. The modem hands the firewall appliance the public IP of the modem so no double NAT. Don't have the TV service but the phone service works fine with this setup.

Back