Need some AM4 upgrade options

narsbars

2[H]4U
My wife has an X570 with a 3600xt used for production work. I have an X570 with a 3800X used for some gaming and production work. There is no TRUE need to upgrade, just the itch but modified by budget. I was thinking that if the 5800 refresh comes out maybe some 5950X chips would become available for me, then moving my 3800x to my wifes unit and selling the 3600xt. There are no MCs in hundreds of miles. So the question is how do I upgrade enough to know I have actually gotten a little faster? I have considered the 5800X but it doesn't seem like enough of a jump from the 3800X.
When will there be some affordable AM4 chips on the used market and what chip(s) should I set my sights on? The goal is to get two more years out of the current set ups.

3800x to 5800x will give an ok bump in single thread and a pretty decent bump in multithread uses. going 5950 will give you better multithread, so youd need to decide on your use case if its worth it. gaming gets a decent of a bump in multithreaded games, single not much.

1646592975070.png

3800x to a 5900x was noticeable for me even though all I do with the system is game. The minimums are higher, and the certain games that loved to stutter/dip in certain areas don't do it anymore on the 5900x. You wouldn't think it's a big upgrade, but it is. Given that you can get a 5900x on amazon for microcenter prices right now ($450) i'd get one, or take the chance on the 5800x3D.

3800x to 5800x will give an ok bump in single thread and a pretty decent bump in multithread uses. going 5950 will give you better multithread, so youd need to decide on your use case if its worth it. gaming gets a decent of a bump in multithreaded games, single not much.

View attachment 451103
My real "use case" is the itch, itch, itch, to upgrade. Anyone will to S.W.A.G. when I might see some used units on the H? I am thinking about going 5800X due to budget and I can still get some cash back by moving the 3800X to my wife and selling her 3600XT.

My real "use case" is the itch, itch, itch, to upgrade. Anyone will to S.W.A.G. when I might see some used units on the H? I am thinking about going 5800X due to budget and I can still get some cash back by moving the 3800X to my wife and selling her 3600XT.
no idea, there have been a few. maybe people *arent swapping much at the moment....
edit *arent

If you wait a couple months into the 5800X3D being out, i'm sure you'll find 5800X's for what 3700x/3800X's are largely going for now.

If you wait a couple months into the 5800X3D being out, i'm sure you'll find 5800X's for what 3700x/3800X's are largely going for now.
With MC selling them for $300.00 I am hoping to find a deal.

Shoot, I've still been holding out with a 2700X for a $250ish 5800X deal new or used. I typically get my CPUs used from here though since it's like the safest component to buy used because it either works or doesn't work and I don't care about winning the OC lottery (though generally the seller here give s an indication of OC/boost performance which is nice to know and something you don't get with a new CPU).

I'm still annoyed there's no 5700X this gen that has 98% of the performance of the 5800X for ~20% less cost. But I'm sure AMD saw many suckers didn't bite on the 3800X because of that in Zen 2, and that's why they cut out a 5700X variant this gen.

Shoot, I've still been holding out with a 2700X for a $250ish 5800X deal new or used. I typically get my CPUs used from here though since it's like the safest component to buy used because it either works or doesn't work and I don't care about winning the OC lottery (though generally the seller here give s an indication of OC/boost performance which is nice to know and something you don't get with a new CPU).

I'm still annoyed there's no 5700X this gen that has 98% of the performance of the 5800X for ~20% less cost. But I'm sure AMD saw many suckers didn't bite on the 3800X because of that in Zen 2, and that's why they cut out a 5700X variant this gen.
Looking at the prices I think you are right. As soon as I can grab a 5800X for $250.00 or less I will jump on it. Should be a decent bump and let me lurk the WTS threads until I see a 5950X in a few months.

My wife has an X570 with a 3600xt used for production work. I have an X570 with a 3800X used for some gaming and production work. There is no TRUE need to upgrade, just the itch but modified by budget. I was thinking that if the 5800 refresh comes out maybe some 5950X chips would become available for me, then moving my 3800x to my wifes unit and selling the 3600xt. There are no MCs in hundreds of miles. So the question is how do I upgrade enough to know I have actually gotten a little faster? I have considered the 5800X but it doesn't seem like enough of a jump from the 3800X.
When will there be some affordable AM4 chips on the used market and what chip(s) should I set my sights on? The goal is to get two more years out of the current set ups.
If your production work is heavily CPU based, a 5950x will blow you away. And it will be a good upgrade for CPU limited gaming situations. If your production work relies more on GPU acceleration, it may not feel like such a large improvement.

For gaming, a 5800X3D should be a really solid jump. and an ok jump for production work.

If "the itch" is the only reason, you'll find that a marginal upgrade like that wasn't worth the "scratch"

Now if you're actually going to make use of a 5950x, it'll be a big difference.

If "the itch" is the only reason, you'll find that a marginal upgrade like that wasn't worth the "scratch"

Now if you're actually going to make use of a 5950x, it'll be a big difference.
I am getting different input on the 5800X but your point is a good one. I won't make use of a 5950X but if it stops the itching it will be worth it when the price drops or if the 5800X3D is priced right and available...ha.....that could work too.

I am getting different input on the 5800X but your point is a good one. I won't make use of a 5950X but if it stops the itching it will be worth it when the price drops or if the 5800X3D is priced right and available...ha.....that could work too.
5950x just isn’t worth it unless you’re running the specific workloads that can use the extra cores. 5900x will be just as fast otherwise.

5800x3d for gaming, 5950X for highly threaded workloads. I wouldn't bother upgrading to anything less than those two tbh.

5800x3d for gaming, 5950X for highly threaded workloads. I wouldn't bother upgrading to anything less than those two tbh.
There will be games that the 5900x is faster in. Due to both clock, and having more cores.

There will be games that the 5900x is faster in. Due to both clock, and having more cores.

I think the x3d will likely beat both the 5900 and 5950x in gaming due to the extra cache, with possibly a few exceptions. I haven't seen any games that benefit from more than 8 cores unless running other stuff in the background (which IS fairly common now tbh).

Back