Need some advice on networking with 2 DSL lines

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
well I'm *finally* getting broadband, but it's only 512kb. Since I've got 3 computers in the house that will all be using the internet at once, I went ahead and got 2 lines. There's going to be 1 line shared between my pc and my sister's and 1 line dedicated to the family PC on the other end of the house. I'm definietly going wired, but I'm unsure of how to go about networking the family pc to the other 2 computers on a router without it mooching off of the dsl line connected to the router. I really don't want it to be doing this as it will have it's own line to use. BTW, the family pc is running Windows ME, and the other two are running XP (home and pro).

What can I do? Can I just hook the family pc to the router and disable some setting to prevent it from accessing internet on the router?

Well, you could but a second NIC in the one, but make sure that it is staticly set for IP and routing, so that it won't make a default route (one that is used for accessing networks not other wise found in the routing table, which would included the internet) for that other connection.
So, basicly, just set the IP on the second nic, and leave out a default gateway. you should leave off DNS too

Back