Need software tool for stress testing ISP.

todlerix

2[H]4U
Having issues with ISP, need to stress test (lots 500-5000 of connections and bandwidth) while the company is inactive.

Tried several different modems
It only goes down during the day
Cannot replicate issue on demand
Might be fine for 4 hours then be trash for several hours
Had ISP do thorough testing, they can't find a problem
Local network has been fine the entire time, router has so indication of rise in bandwidth or connections but the internet to go out
When the internet goes down, unable to ping device locally and unable to ping the modem itself, so the modem is most definitely going down.- but it doesn't restart it just "freezes"

I have a different ISP coming out to definitively determine if it is the current ISP, but for the time being I'd like to try to stress the connection artificially.

The connection has been fine for years until just recently, but no new devices/software correspond with issues.

Hooked singe device to modem, it still crashed - which immediately decalres the ISP at fault, but I can't replicate the issue because it is so intermittent. While the issue is occurring if I unplug the router (and subsequently the switches) from the modem makes it clear up.

So much testing but nothing continually points to the same problem. Any diagnostic input is appreciated but I mostly want a way to stress the internet connection.

iperf on a server at your company and one elsewhere, like a VPS?

Torrents? They'd give you quite a few connections. Download some linux ISOs. iPerf. Game lobbies tend to drive a lot of connections as well.

When the internet goes down, unable to ping device locally and unable to ping the modem itself, so the modem is most definitely going down.- but it doesn't restart it just "freezes"

Can you be a little more clear? If you try and ping computer a from computer b, it fails?

Can you be a little more clear? If you try and ping computer a from computer b, it fails?

Sorry, typo. Pinging locally to the modem and subsequently the internet goes offline from the network. Also pinging from an external location (over the internet) the pings to the IP fail, and the cable company can't contact the device during that time either from their management "IP"

Sorry, typo. Pinging locally to the modem and subsequently the internet goes offline from the network. Also pinging from an external location (over the internet) the pings to the IP fail, and the cable company can't contact the device during that time either from their management "IP"

Sounds like your connection might be having upstream issues. Who is your ISP?

I'd say do proper testing first, use two different modems in full bridge mode (no NAT) and use smokeping/MRTG or whatever to plot ping to router and ISP gateway.
//Danne

Back