Need serious help: No sound after installing Sound Blaster ZxR to new PC

I caught the Nvivida control panel is goofing around w/ the HMDI audio setting, so last night I disable that nvivida audio as well, so far, it works

I caught the Nvivida control panel is goofing around w/ the HMDI audio setting, so last night I disable that nvivida audio as well, so far, it works
you just disabled it?! it had been suggested several times, by myself on the 6th...
hopefully thats it.

Reactions: travm
like this
One thing I've seen with my Z is Windows has a "really" annoying habit of changing my default output device to my NVIDIA HDMI connection for whatever reason. Make sure the default (and preferred) output device is "Speakers (Sound Blaster ZxR)". I recommend doing this through Control Panel->Sound so you can manually set the preferred output device.

The fact you are getting audio at boot means the sound card is connected correctly, and it's likely audio is getting re-routed somewhere else after startup. It's also possible (though unlikely) that some programs may be overriding the audio output device; for testing just use the built in audio output utility from the Sound Blaster Pro Studio.
So windows does something, and you blame your soundblaster?

You got me. I totally miss that. In the old days, when I install an older driver of nvidia, they allow me the option of NOT to install the other stuff, such as their audio, so I just grab the basic driver back a no. of yr. ago in the old PC.

This new PC, when I download the nvidia latest driver, it doesn't give me that option. I totally forgot they screw around w/ my audio too.

Coincidentally, today I finish off putting together this new PC, w/ a good part of it : scratch build

You got me. I totally miss that. In the old days, when I install an older driver of nvidia, they allow me the option of NOT to install the other stuff, such as their audio, so I just grab the basic driver back a no. of yr. ago in the old PC.

This new PC, when I download the nvidia latest driver, it doesn't give me that option. I totally forgot they screw around w/ my audio too.

Coincidentally, today I finish off putting together this new PC, w/ a good part of it : scratch build
i think with the new nvidia driver you click custom and then you can untick the audio.

I've disabled the audio install in the driver and Windows 10 will sometimes install it anyways, so it's better to just disable the Nvidia audio device(s) in Windows directly if it's not being used.

Final update: so this is the end results: everything work mostly.

1) during boot up, there is no more windows chime music, I don't care much about that sound anyway

2) all current video, the sound ONLY comes out of the "Center/Sub" port, the last port on the sound card

3) all old video such as Real Player RM files, sound come out of the Left / Right port only. And I do have a rare 7 yr. old MP4 file that the sound only comes out of the R/L port of the sound card

4) when PC is turn off, there is that windows chime just before shut down

My right speaker is under repair, when done, I can port the right/ left chnl. to that speaker, and leave the center/sub at the left speaker.

so there will be sound coming out of at least 1 speaker at all time

this isn't the case w/ the old PC, but it is definitely the new motherboard interfacing w/ the sound card that has some minor problems

thank you everyone for all your help

Back