Need Router for Server and VPN

erebus1

Limp Gawd
hey all, ive got some issues with my current router... DI-624, wireless 4 port router.

Im trying to run a quake 4 linux server behind it but the NAT or some sort of translation is working very shotty, if I have the router with Gaming Mode enabled, the server works fine, but then my dad can't use his ATnT VPN app to connect to his servers at work... If i disable Gaming mode my server doesnt work but my ATnT works... Dlink doesnt even really help at all in explaining what gaming mode even does.

So what Id like to do is just dump Dlink (not really impressed with their products, have had problems with other dlink stuff recently) and get a different router, maybe even get a nice router and a wireless access point, I have a netgear RT314 in the basement thats not being used, but its 5 or so years old.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a nice router setup around 100$
I also have a old pc in the basement Ive been thinking of putting smoothwall on and trying that out.

Thanks for any help.

Since you already have a spare PC, I would def. try a Linux router distro before you go out and spend any money. Only draw back is power consumption.

Back