Need recommendations for a mechanical keyboard for gaming, red switch.

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's a little background.
I like to game and I would like a mechanical keyboard.
Red switches, would prefer some media keys but not necessary, would prefer back lighting but if the keyboard is nice enough I am willing to go without.
I currently have a Logitech G15.

This is what I've looked at so far.
I looked so far at razer stealth until I found it had brown switches, nothing wrong with them but I want to go red, lightest, can double tap easier since they have a lower actuation.
I looked at the Corsair keyboard but it's a hybrid keyboard, it's mechanical but it has quite a few rubber dome keys.
Filco Majestouch Ninja red switch, I really like it, with there was a back light but it's a sexy keyboard, won't have to worry bout my fingers erasing the keys.
If I don't get a mech keyboard with media buttons I can always get a usb knob, I just need manual volume controls.

I just picked up the Corsair over the weekend (K60), it's nice and solid and I don't notice the dome switches in any annoying way. They do feel different, but it's just the 'F' keys and ins/del cluster. The only key I wish they would have left mechanical is the escape, but it's a tradeoff for the price and solid construction. I can't comment on the gaming (red topped) keys, someone helped themselves to mine (d'oh).

If I were in your shoes I would get the Corsair K60 or K90. I use the manual volume controls on my K90 a lot.

+1 for the K90 or K60. Love my K90, and the dome keys aren't a problem in the least for like 99% of people who would buy it.

I also really like the K90. I hit the esc and delete keys fairly often and do notice the difference. Frankly, it would be nice if they all were mech but considering the overall quality of the keyboard, the looks and other features (LOVE that volume wheel and mute button) along with the price I am extremely happy with it.

I really like my K90 as well. The dome key subset isn't a significant issue for me. I don't "type" on them, and the fact that ESC has the dome gummy feel is largely irrelevant.
The keyboard action is great, it's easier to clean than my other keyboards (just blow crud out from under the keys), and the media keys / vol knob are quite handy.

Get the Filco Ninja Cherry MX Red, they just got in stock at amazon about a week ago. This keyboard is awesome.

I just received an MX brown Filco and this is the best thing in milleniums the mankind has made. Coming from a rubber dome keyboard and from trying a KBT Race. Sturdy as hell.

Overpriced. Exact same thing as a Quickfire, $50+ price premium.
If you take out the branding and that rubbery surface, maybe yes.

Last edited:
Have you seen the Nighthawk X9? I just received mine. As far as I know, it's one of only a couple USB keyboards with full NKRO.

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x9-red-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

Google some reviews.

I've been looking into this too. There is somewhat of a resemblence to these keyboards though, so If you just like the keyboard and don't need extra features or whatever, look into(I would have hopped onto the nighthawk but the price for shipping to the UK is outrageous).

this
and this

Back